Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2007, 09:52   #1
Team-BHP Support

DIY Install in My Fiat Palio.

After a lot of fight with my elder brother to let me do the ICE of his Hyundai Getz I failed the attempt and he went in for a crap sounding audio system. I decided that day that I will do a install for once in my life to prove that I can do it with help from gurus here. Bought a car on 3rd November 2006 but work kept my schedules tight hence I got a pretty basic but nice audio system from a local installer. He did not do a good job with the install and I was a too sad hearing it. Finally I stripped off the entire system last week and have been doing up the install slowly and steadily myself. It takes time since I do not get to work more than half an hour a day on the car. Work that is currently done:

Laying of power cables and speaker wire ONLY!

Equipment I already have:

Infinity ref 5010cs for the fronts
Alpine S-Type 6x9 for the rears which will we replaced with the new Infinity 6x9 from the reference series.
Pioneer 7650. To be replaced by an Alpine 9830 but I am in a 100 minds for now.

Bought a pair of MDF spacer rings for the front compos from BAASSFX . They are BaassFX UNI 514 and are pretty decent for Rs. 150/- a pair

Magnat XCite 300 from hermit audio Bombay.
Ichibahn IKit8 8 gauge amplifier wiring kit which retails at Rs. 2,450/- and I got a discount from B&T.

Stock Midbass mounted earlier

Tweeter mount that I did earlier on the dash grill. Removed!

This is how it was mounted on the RHS and was held by flexible cable ties:

Crossover for the LHS midbass and tweeter. Not the poor quality cables used without wire crimps:

Another view. The location is under the glove box:

The place where I worked for ages on this setup:

The speaker cables and RCA cables run under this. RHS:

Done with cable laying jobs. Coming from the left are Power cable for the Amplifier and remote turn on cable for the amp:

This is the stuff that is going in the car. Mobil 1 is already lubricating nicely. Also seen are Ichibahn IKIT8 wiring kit for the Magnat XCite 300 2 channel amp.

Ichibahn IKIT8. A very very decent VFM wiring kit

Magnat XCite 300 amplifier

And lastly my other source of noise:

Stebel Fog horn

Please keep suggestions coming.

According to Shrivz, the speaker cable should be mounted in a direction using a convention. The label on the speaker wire should start reading from the amplifier and go up to the speakers in reading direction. I have mounted them ulta. I will lay them again in reverse direction. Thanks Shrivz

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th April 2007 at 09:55.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2007, 10:14   #2
BHPian

moral Are you putting the 6x9s on the stock tray? If you are then I would sussest you either go and reinforce it with fibreglass or get a custom MDF tray made.

Fog Horn ... Ha Ha Ha..
Old 24th April 2007, 10:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

No Rishi, not on the stock tray. The Alpines are currently mounted on the stock tray. I have some carpenters working on my house interiors who have voluntarily offered me help to make a tray in MDF. Hopefully a 0.75 inch thick tray should suffice.

I forgot to mention that I am trying to souce Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 subs in a pair for my car. Once I find them, I will add a GTO 601.1 to the setup (If budget permits of course). But boxes will be made and kept ready. 0.85 cu. ft sealed enclosure for each sub. The carpenters will be done with the work soon and will build me these boxes after I provide exact lengths.

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th April 2007 at 10:23.
Old 24th April 2007, 10:32   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I forgot to mention that I am trying to souce Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 subs in a pair for my car..
sometime back the doc from ludhiana had a space 10" Infinity. PM him. also try and install your tweeter a bit more discretely. if the dash has speaker pods use them. you might need a small plate to mouth the tweeter. this can be fabricated from MS or wood.
Old 24th April 2007, 10:37   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
sometime back the doc from ludhiana had a space 10" Infinity. PM him. also try and install your tweeter a bit more discretely. if the dash has speaker pods use them. you might need a small plate to mouth the tweeter. this can be fabricated from MS or wood.
Navin thanks for the suggestion. I will get in touch with Dr. rsjaurr.

About the tweeters:

The dash doesn't have tweeter pods, the rear view mirror pods do have tweeter mounting locations but surprisingly they fire away from the listeners. On top of the dash is difficult because if you see the 3rd picture, the curve above the speedometer causes a hindrance.

What is MS? How about half way up the A-Pillar. I met a guy who can help me with fiber glass pods.
Old 24th April 2007, 10:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The stock tweeter location in palio though pointing away is not that bad either. Moral if you havent tried it as yet then you should give the stock location a shot.
Old 24th April 2007, 10:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No Rishi, not on the stock tray. The Alpines are currently mounted on the stock tray. I have some carpenters working on my house interiors who have voluntarily offered me help to make a tray in MDF. Hopefully a 0.75 inch thick tray should suffice.

I forgot to mention that I am trying to souce Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 subs in a pair for my car. Once I find them, I will add a GTO 601.1 to the setup (If budget permits of course). But boxes will be made and kept ready. 0.85 cu. ft sealed enclosure for each sub. The carpenters will be done with the work soon and will build me these boxes after I provide exact lengths.
that is a good decision of putting the 6x9 on a 0.75 inch mdf tray.....

make the enlcosure wedge type so that you can stick it to the rear seat so the minimum space is wasted........
Old 24th April 2007, 10:41   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
make the enlcosure wedge type so that you can stick it to the rear seat so the minimum space is wasted........
Exactly my thought! Wedge box is the one with non parallel surfaces right?
Old 24th April 2007, 10:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly my thought! Wedge box is the one with non parallel surfaces right?
Yes it is. Are you going to run 6x9s on full range?
Old 24th April 2007, 11:03   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
Yes it is. Are you going to run 6x9s on full range?
What is running on full range? My ICE knowledge is limited!
Old 24th April 2007, 11:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Good going, Moral Nice to see another good DIY effort.

The blowers in the dash are a great location for flush-mounting the tweeters. (If you don't use them much. I've never used them). I'd get that fiberglass guy to remove the grilles that are there currently and fabricate something for the tweeters there. As there is already a hollow space there, the fiberglass pod wouldn't stand out much either. (I've never used those blowers). Do you have the flush-mount kit for your tweeters with you still? You can use those kits in that area for best (and almost stock-looking) results.

If you want to keep the blowers, fiberglassing a pod in the corner of the dash and the A pillar might be a good idea. If done well, it wouldn't take up much space, and you'll be able to aim the tweeters well. (Having a fiberglass guy on hand is a luxury which I think you must use).

Couple of tweeter pods I'd seen recently on the net for inspiration:

hydrashok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2007, 11:37   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is MS? How about half way up the A-Pillar. I met a guy who can help me with fiber glass pods.
the fiber pods should be nice. MS is Mild Steel.
Old 24th April 2007, 11:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
What is running on full range? My ICE knowledge is limited!
My knowledge is also newly acquired. I guess there are ICE gurus here to answer your question. All I know is that you lows should be handled by the pair or subs you are getting so you dont need to run the 6x9s fullrange (I might be wrong here)
Old 24th April 2007, 11:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... How about half way up the A-Pillar...
Halfway up the A-Pillar would be a little too high IMHO. I think you shouldn't go higher than say 1 or 2 inches above dash-level at the most. Ideal would be at top-of-dash level.
Old 24th April 2007, 12:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

If one person who does not like tweeter and wants to tone down them the best location for them is this......

about the box this is the shape I was talking about....

for .8 cuft the sizes you can use are.....(change the dim mentioned in the above drawing as they are of my box which has a internal volume of approx 1.5 cuft so I have written the corresponding dim in front of the required for your enclosure with the internal volume of .84 cuft in which you can subtract the .04 cuft for the driver displacement resulting in the net volume of .8 for your purpose...)

18 -> 17
15 -> 10
10 -> 8
15.5 -> 14

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks