Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2021, 13:32   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata removes physical ICE buttons from Nexon

I have been driving around my friend's Nexon. I did not find the ECON mode of AC useful (my friend is of the same view too). Might be a result of feedback from customers.

Two rear parking sensors is ridiculous and unacceptable. My friend has also encountered a number of electrical issues during the past year of ownership. Response from the dealership/service has been pathetic so far. His ABS light go on every now and then and TATA still does not know a permeant fix.

A very safe car with a number of small by significant issues. Hope these issues get ironed out and the product matures in the years to come.
thiagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 15:06   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Interestingly, Tata has also removed the economy mode for the air-conditioning system. As you can see in this image, the AC knob on the left no longer has the ECON button.
I have this ECON button - but never really understood the idea behind it. I mean I understand - technically its supposed to switch off the compressor more for better efficiency.

But then - how does it work for a car with automatic climate control? The ACC is anyway supposed to automatically decide compressor activity to maintain the preset temperature in the cabin. How would ECON work?! Or that was for when one was using the AC in manual mode only? Considering hardly anybody would NOT use ACC - I think the removal of ECON - would make 0 difference to users. The blank half of the button face would certainly look odd though. The 1st Gen Nexon's very well laid out and symmetric button rows and dials were actually quite good. its losing buttons quite fast since last 2-3 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
What is unacceptable is just 2 parking sensors on a car that crosses 10 L on road for most variants. Speak of arrogance. Pre facelift models across Tata range had 4 back sensors.
Well rather than arrogance - I think its just following the trends. Pretty much all makers are going that way. Its unacceptable of course.

I'll give an example on a slightly different angle - even for an IGNIS from Maruti that has had 4 sensors - there is just a buzzer behind the rear passenger seat back. No visual representation per sensor. It only beeps when ANY of the 4 sensors report close proximity response. Considering there is no visual aid to show actually which of the sensor has reported this - it hardly makes any difference. As long as the 2 sensors have a wide enough coverage with overlap & don't leave the center part of the bumper as a blind spot - these are absolutely fine IMO.
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 17:28   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Well rather than arrogance - I think its just following the trends. Pretty much all makers are going that way. Its unacceptable of course.

I'll give an example on a slightly different angle - even for an IGNIS from Maruti that has had 4 sensors - there is just a buzzer behind the rear passenger seat back. No visual representation per sensor. It only beeps when ANY of the 4 sensors report close proximity response. Considering there is no visual aid to show actually which of the sensor has reported this - it hardly makes any difference. As long as the 2 sensors have a wide enough coverage with overlap & don't leave the center part of the bumper as a blind spot - these are absolutely fine IMO.
Yes, from what I have heard from few known engineers, the newer sensors are more powerful detection mechanism and a wider range(almost 170 degree coverage of each sensor). I think that is why the manufacturers are going with the two sensor approach. The 2 sensor on Maruti do the job as good as the 4 sensors. As long as they cover end to end of the car with minimal blind spots, it should be fine, like you said.
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 17:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

When you enable ECON, the climate control cannot make it cooler than outside temperature. If it's 25 Degrees outside, and you request 20 degrees it cannot provide a lower temperature than 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Econ button anyways was useless as it didn't seem to make any difference in my tigor. Regarding physical buttons the tigor/Tiago never came with it in the first place , so Tata might have rationalised.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 12:53   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Sasikanth Bobba for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Quote:
I have received my Tata Nexon XZ+ with the mentioned changes.
Tata removes physical ICE buttons from Nexon-x.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 22nd April 2021 at 11:01.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 14:22   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Late post, but have to disagree with many members who feel the deletion isn't such a big deal.

Ofcourse you have the steering mounted controls, but it has been proven many times that a volume knob is much more practical in real life. Maybe a scroll button or a prominently placed 'Mute' button on the steering wheel will be intuitive, but for most of the times a volume knob feels natural. Just have to look at the manufacturers globally.

The new gen 2022 Honda Civic sketches show the volume knob right in the driver's reach. This is from a company which learned a lesson and has gone back to buttons from customer feedback. Also all the new Toyota models based on the TNGA platforms have volume knobs/tuning knobs prominently in addition to touchscreens. They too tried to dab in touchscreen controls.

Tata removes physical ICE buttons from Nexon-screenshot_20210404215019.png

BMW, arguably making the most driver focused cars. They still have a volume knob (eventhough they didn't change the position in the transition from LHD to RHD)

Best implementation have seen so far. Mazda. Another driver focused design. The touchscreen wouldn't be functional when the car is in motion. You have a BMW iDrive like controls and even a cute small volume knob right where the arm rests in the centre console.

Tata removes physical ICE buttons from Nexon-mazda3-controller-knob-snip.jpg

And for those who want the latest tablet stuck on the dashboard. Well, Ford is doing this and so do I believe Land Rover.

Tata removes physical ICE buttons from Nexon-images-20210406t090027.792.jpeg

Would have been okay if it wasn't there in the first place. Like others, if the controls were part of the bezel and they had to remove it to enlarge the screen size. Okay, fine. Understandable.

But they went on to delete something that was of use and a great design too. While the touchscreen size remains the same. Just reeks of cost cutting, that too would probably be on customer feedback as well. Makes me wonder, where exactly do they get these people giving the feedbacks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks