Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2021, 13:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata removes physical infotainment controls from the Altroz!

Idiotic move by TML. Probably a case of bean counters meeting their targets rather than designers having their way.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 2nd May 2021, 18:44   #17

I hope this has improved the user interface. Otherwise the map is a pain to use when connected via Android auto. Hangs every 40-45 mins in my car to which I normally resort to restarting the unit by pressing the physical button. After this 'update', well goodluck with that.

But irrespective of this upgrade, the volume control will be dearly missed! ��
Abhishek Gogoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 22:31   #18
BHPian

I really don't see what the fuss is all about. I drive a Jazz and the touch screen is no bother at all for me. I mean how many times is one going to keep adjusting the temp on ones way to work. I just have it set at 25 degrees and let the auto mode do the work. I never feel the need to keep fiddling with it.
Worldchamp 2019 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 09:37   #19
BHPian

No wonder a decade old VW Polo has still got its fan following with all the tactile knobs and control buttons and analog dials....coupled with that Tsi power.
Old 4th May 2021, 13:56   #20
BHPian

I don't understand why people feel like this is a bad thing. Most of the infotainment features can be operated from the steering mounted controls. It's what I did on my pre-facelift Nexon all the time. In fact I hardly ever used the buttons provided for the infotainment system. I found it far more convenient to use the steering mounted controls. That being said, I think it's because the steering wheel doesn't have that many buttons and is quite simple to use.

Nonetheless, I think in the long run, people will get used to and they'll be fine.
Old 4th May 2021, 15:34   #21
BHPian

Forget buttons or voice commands. Slowly the tech is moving towards to gesture based controls. From what I know that Tata has been fiddling around these for quite some time with some tech partners. Not sure when that will see light of a production line, though.
Old 4th May 2021, 21:57   #22
BHPian

Physical interface is more user friendly than virtual interface, one comparison would be the phones with physical keyboards vs touch keyboards. Touch and feel are basics of human nature and for whatever reason Tata getting away from such practices is unpardonable. Honda learnt it's lesson by changing Honda City 5th gen AC controls with tactile feedback dials.

This move from Tata is a downer for me!
Old 4th May 2021, 23:24   #23
BHPian

As a Harrier owner. I understand that a good screen can be a decent replacement for physical buttons. Not the best alternative but in most cases it will suffice.

But we a talking about good touchscreens. The ones Tata provides are poop.

Latency issues, Horrible touch response, Questionable UI. If not for Android auto it would be completed useless

So unless Tata has upgraded it's touchscreens to the level of thier competition this is an idiotic move.
Bluengel180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 13:14   #24
MCR
BHPian

Too many buttons often end up in a cluttered look. See the dashboard of the 2021 Hyundai SantaFe for example (image attached below).

I feel the only button on the dashboard should be that of the Volume & more importantly "On/Off". There is absolutely no need for other buttons. Use voice commands for AC temperature setting and other climate control functionalities.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata removes physical infotainment controls from the Altroz!-santafe.jpg  

Old 5th May 2021, 13:46   #25
BHPian

Ok so the physical buttons have been removed; the reasons for it best known only to TaMo. Maybe it reduces the lag, maybe the driver is supposed to use buttons on the steering wheel, maybe it has been done for a more premium look.
The ones complaining of system hanging now might have to ‘close all windows, shut down the car, exit, close all doors, lock-unlock & restart’ just like any Windows based PC/Laptop !!
But, the point is, what has been done is done.

My grouse is why waste the scarce real estate freed on the centre console with useless Nexon or Altroz badging, the owner knows which one he has purchased & is driving.
Instead, that precious space should have been used to push all the controls below that space, up a notch so as to bring to prominence, the USB & Aux slots which are currently buried deep down in a den like place, which is very user-unfriendly.

Hope someone from Tata Motors reads this like they did the Harrier thread & passes this suggestion to its design team.
ScorpioYadav is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks