View Poll Results: Your choice?
Floating Infotainment Display 88 27.41%
Integrated Infotainment Head-Unit 233 72.59%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2021, 19:30   #46
BHPian

Re: Car Infotainment: Floating Displays vs Integrated Head-Units

Not able to vote, but I would definitely prefer the integrated head unit. Having said that, I do appreciate models where the head unit is placed higher up and more in my line of sight than having to look down. Does a world of difference for safety when you don't take your eyes off the road and this just reduces that time.

On a side note, I also prefer having physical aircon controls but do not mind the AC vents being pushed down/to the either sides of the screen to accommodate the screen on top. Definitely a fan of functionality over looks.

For eg, I like how the screens are integrated on the Superb, Tiguan, Jetta and so on but just hate that I need to look down to Level 3. Level 1 being the Road, Level 2 being the MID. I'm a fan of the screen on the new 2021 Polo

P.S.: I do not like cold air blowing on my face from the AC vents and this may have influenced my choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Infotainment: Floating Displays vs Integrated Head-Units-maxresdefault.jpg  

Old 18th June 2021, 20:23   #47
BHPian

I prefer the floating displays because they aid to the vision for a driver. However, there are some not so good looking implementations also where the floating display is an eye sore.

But I hate the floating slab like displays for instrument cluster. They are just bad looking. I like the instrument clusters embedded in the dash behind the steering. It's more engaging.
Old 19th June 2021, 01:23   #48
BHPian

Floating displays expand the flexibility in size of screen for manufacturers which can actually aid the afterthought issue. We've seen this happen presently and despite how Mercedes for example had horribly integrated screens in previous generation entry level models, they did become much easier to read for the driver while on the move. However, integrated units do feel more of a part of the interior, but they can't really be adjusted in angle for glare by the manufacturer whilst floating displays can.

Anyhow, my verdict being that floating displays can either mend a design or ruin it. But when they do mend it, they become the icing on the cake with easier functionality and aesthetics.
Old 19th June 2021, 03:05   #49
BHPian

Either work, the fact of the matter is these high refresh rate screens need to make it into cars asap. That's where the smoothness and quickness will be the most appreciated.
armaan_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 04:55   #50
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Apart from being a petrolhead, I'm a self described design enthusiast too.

So I kind of enjoy a strong, methodical, clean and uniform design on my car inside out. I like integrated head units much and since I prefer sedans ANYDAY over any other type of vehicles, for me an integrated HU is always better. At least in terms of overall looks and feel of a car.

Though I rue it, the age of faux SUVs is here.
Old 19th June 2021, 05:43   #51

I prefer a floating displayexecution when it is seamless with the dashboard, perhaps like the instrument panel and the infotainment panel combined like in Kia. If a company really wants to give the option, how about a detachable one or atleast a retractable one for a minimal look.
Old 19th June 2021, 14:14   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Integrated units anyday for me. Sadly, Ford, kia and Tata are all rage about having floating units in their cars.

For instance, imagine if this floating unit was integrated. It would have been a lot more classier, personally.

Car Infotainment: Floating Displays vs Integrated Head-Units-img_20210619_074846_465.jpg

In my opinion, a floating screen sticks out like a sore thumb.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 16:47   #53
BHPian

My preference is floating as long as it does not obstruct the driver view. It actually helps the driver to not to take eyes off the road while using maps etc.

I like the way TATA has done it for Altroz, Nexon and Harrier/Safari. It does not look oversized and not obstructing the driver's view.

Some aftermarket floating units are simply oversized and looks like an iPad glued on the dashboard.

Integrated ones on Honda city, Creta etc. look very nice. They gel well with the dashboard.

Hector although has an integrated unit, it simply looks out of place.

Seltos/Grand i10 Nios HUs are not exactly floating or integrated, but I feel they look out of place.

To summarize, it all depends on how it is fitted on to the dashboard.

Last edited by pradeep_mvpa : 19th June 2021 at 16:49. Reason: add more info
Old 19th June 2021, 20:59   #54
BHPian

We tried with heads up display but it have its limitation; but they are probably the most non intrusive display format available for cars .Floating units feel like a compromise because HUD won’t be sufficient as primary display for ICE
Old 20th June 2021, 13:54   #55
BHPian

Voted for the Integrated display as it is well placed in that location and doesn't stick out.

While the floating ones are good, they feel so alienated from the dash and looks apart unless its aligned well which in many cases are a negative.

Also, the need to watch a screen for entertainment is super distracting when you drive. The integrated dash is more like "Glance when you need to" purpose and I prefer it that way.

I am uncomfortable with the touch buttons for volume, next track etc. Call me old school but the tactile feel of a rotary knob is pretty sorted for me and satisfying!

But I guess floating is the way to go in the next gen vehicles!! and Hopefully they get them right from a quality, aesthetical and the functional purposes.
Old 20th June 2021, 14:28   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Don’t mind either but what is important is their execution, ease-of-use(touch response), and general ergonomics.

Give whatever type to me but I need knobs and physical buttons on it and please keep air-con controls separate. Period. I am looking at you specifically Octavia, a slider for AC and volume controls seriously!! Even Honda learnt the problem in 4th Gen City with the touch controls for the AC and went back to the standard buttons in the 5th Gen.

In a moving car it’s really difficult to turn the volume up and down without a knob. I wouldn’t mind a smaller screen just for the presence of buttons and knobs.

I remember Toyota had the option of kitting both the Innova and Fortuner facelifts with either a 9inch touchscreen without knobs and buttons or a 8inch touchscreen with knobs and buttons, good they went with the latter!

Sometimes with floating touchscreens the central AC vents are pushed very low, rendering them useless when you want a blast of cold air on a hot day, again I am looking at you Octavia.
I absolutely am in sync with the requirement for knobs & how on the enfotaintment systems. Secondly, any unit that makes a driver move his attention away from the road is & will always be a danger!
Old 20th June 2021, 20:13   #57
BHPian

Voted Integrated Head-Units for the time being, I think I might be biased too as I haven't used a car with Floating Displays for longer hours.

Even the Floating Displays would look good if well " Integrated ".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks