Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2007, 14:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Superb ICE: Steg/ Illusion Audio/ Alpine

A simple stereo install in a Skoda Superb. Two pairs of component speakers and a single subwoofer, each running on dedicated two channel amplifiers.

Navin thought it would be nice to feature the Superb since there aren't many other install pics on the forum of the same car. Unfortunately, the car was almost completely installed by the time I got around to taking pics, so no real 'work in progress' pics. Both pairs of speakers are in the stock locations in all four doors.

Everything runs flat and the only adjustments made have been with respect to the crossover settings on the head unit and the time alginment.

Equipment:

Head Unit: Alpine 9855 - Rs. 20000/- approx.

Front Speakers: Illusion Audio Nd 6.1 - Rs. 25500/- a pair

Rear Speakers: Illusion Audio Nd 6.1 - Rs. 25500/- a pair

Subwoofer: Illusion Audio Nd15i - Rs. 45500/- a piece

Amps : Steg Masterstroke MSK 1500 x 3 - Rs. 180,000/- a piece

Speaker Cables: van den Hul Clearwater

RCA cables: Supra Dual, with Neutrik terminations

Power cabling: Ground Zero

Damping: A mix of Dynamat Xtreme and Wurth

A few pics..

6.5" Illusion Audio Carbon series midwoofer going into the rear door.

Alpine 9855 - The system badly needs a better head unit.

The amp looks somewhat like this on the insides. The pic is of the MSK3000, a more powerful variant of the MSK 1500 used here, and the second pic is of the packing. The volume of the packing box is atleast 5-6 times that of the amp itself, a nightmare from a freight point of view.

Some views of the trunk. Some finishing touches remain. The spare wheel is completely accessible.

Amps

The car itself

The Superb has good acoustics. With the deadening of the doors, there is not a single squeak. For those who may not know, the Superb door is sealed from the front. As in, once you take off the door panel, there is a metal plate that covers the entire door's cavity from the front with only an opening for the speaker mounting. This acts as a good enclosure...and a very bad candidate for the door's inner skin damping. Its a pain to take out the front cover to access the insides.

We have the comps set to play down to 50 Hz and there isn't much metal resonance. The door panel however needs more damping, and will get it soon. The front wave of the door speaker causes a lot of flex in the door panel. Just waiting for VFM damping, the client's on a budget, you know.

The engine is relatively noisy and quite a bit of it makes its way into the cabin. I was expecting the Superb to be more silent than that.

When seated in the driver's position the front left and front right midwoofers are approximately 50" and 42" away respectively. Hence the path difference is not very high, but its not so for the tweeters. Normally this would be a nightmare to get the image bang in the center, but the Masterstroke amps have independent gains for left and right channels thankfully. The result, in my opinion, is good.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 10th May 2007 at 15:00.
Old 10th May 2007, 14:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wooooow....
Congrates......
Amazing install Ajaybhai..

6.50 Lacs for Ice setup.
Old 10th May 2007, 15:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

But why not a 4 channel & a 2 channel or even better 5 channel amp ? i am sure there is a good reason for that.
Old 10th May 2007, 15:11   #4
BHPian

Hey bass&trouble

Oh my 7 lacs of audio install My godness the price of the Amp is just kind of impossible and that also 3 amps for what sir i dont think you need soo much heavy amps coaxials or components speakers......

Sir i like to share a small information i visited singapore's Bang&olufsen showroom last month thats a brand better than bose or any other This brand system comes standard with Audi A8 4.2 quattro and those showroom guys just had an install in the lexus GS 430 and the sound system was really you know cannot explain by the words and price was only 8lacs and the amount of speakers there amps subs i mean there were lot of them........

i mean this guy could have 1000 times better install than this one................
Old 10th May 2007, 15:26   #5
Team-BHP Support

Superb install in the superb. I am sure it sounds great.
Old 10th May 2007, 15:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice install, B&T!

I'd have liked a little more bling in the amp-rack dept. (and a more space-saving design), but this one is very functional and gets the job done well, I guess.

VDH RCAs? Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Just waiting for VFM damping, the client's on a budget, you know.
Say wha? Budget? VFM? In this install? If he's skimping on the damping after spending that much on the rest of the equipment...

Quote:
... Masterstroke amps have independent gains for left and right channels thankfully. The result, in my opinion, is good.
The best way of getting the TA right, IMHO!
Old 10th May 2007, 16:08   #7
BANNED

Holy!! Molly!!
That's some expensive stuff in there.
The Masterstroke box looks amazing!

Alpine 9855 is 20k?? Grey??

Thanks for sharing the pics with us B&T.
Old 10th May 2007, 16:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
But why not a 4 channel & a 2 channel or even better 5 channel amp ? i am sure there is a good reason for that.
Ideally I would have liked to do it fully active with 2 channel amps used, all except one for the sub operating in bridged mode to serve as full range monoblocks: one per tweeter, one per mid, and one for the sub. So thats a total of nine such amps. Unfortunately, it turns out a bit expensive.

Masterstrokes are only manufactured in two channel. Its the absolute top end from Steg. In no-holds barred hi-fi, whether home or car, certain practices exist. Like seperate pre-power amplifiers, seperate power supply, seperate transport and DAC, bi-amping speakers, bi-wiring speakers, using one monoblock per side, outrageously expensive cables and connectors. 2-channel power amps is the least fanciful of all of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP
Sir i like to share a small information i visited singapore's Bang&olufsen showroom last month thats a brand better than bose or any other This brand system comes standard with Audi A8 4.2 quattro and those showroom guys just had an install in the lexus GS 430 and the sound system was really you know cannot explain by the words and price was only 8lacs and the amount of speakers there amps subs i mean there were lot of them........
Hmmm. And I always thought Bose is the best!

Consider this. The chap who owns the car wears an A. Lange & Sohne perpetual calendar on his wrist. Now, before you say it, I will quickly agree that Rolex is the best watch brand out there. But how can I make him understand that he should get himself a few dozen bejewelled Rollies rather than that? Its difficult. Some people are just plain stubborn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP
i mean this guy could have 1000 times better install than this one................
Next time, I'll try.
Old 10th May 2007, 16:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

in a budget of 7L one could convert the superb with a Demo-superb...????? and for sure have installed a In-dash Pioneer Avic N2/N3 or a Z1 for some showoff with engine dynamics.Anyways neat & good install got to see a heavy stuff for the first time.
cheers

Last edited by ramie2400 : 10th May 2007 at 16:56.
Old 10th May 2007, 17:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
VDH RCAs? Wow!

Say wha? Budget? VFM? In this install? If he's skimping on the damping after spending that much on the rest of the equipment...
vdH speaker cables, Supra RCAs.

I was just kidding about the VFM damping man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak

Alpine 9855 is 20k?? Grey??
More like hand-carried.
Old 10th May 2007, 17:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ajay puttar, looks good & I'm sure sounds great!!!! Care to do such an install in my car and make it into your demo car for Delhi? I won't pay for it of course and will also charge a fee when you want to demo it
Old 10th May 2007, 17:26   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice B&T, I cannot wait to hear it. My compliments.
Quote:

Quote:
Consider this. The chap who owns the car wears an A. Lange & Sohne perpetual calendar on his wrist. Now, before you say it, I will quickly agree that Rolex is the best watch brand out there. But how can I make him understand that he should get himself a few dozen bejewelled Rollies rather than that? Its difficult. Some people are just plain stubborn.
damn 2 smiley rule.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 10th May 2007 at 17:28.
Old 10th May 2007, 17:29   #13
BHPian

sweet setup..

and did that VFM damping part have to come in! lol!

you're totally on my case arent you!!

Last edited by shrivz : 10th May 2007 at 17:33.
Old 10th May 2007, 17:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Next time, I'll try.

And i thought i was stupid. LOL
Old 10th May 2007, 17:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm...some fellow STEG install......man I wish I would get hands on the MasterStroke but they are way beyond my budget.....let us see what happens next......

But Ajay Bhai very good nice install.....with some good equipment (leaving the HU) installed in a clean and neat manner....must be sounding rich and clear......

I really like the amp rack......nice idea of space saving and bling - bling also....here is my amp rack for junior series yet monster amp K 2.04

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 10th May 2007 at 17:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks