Team-BHP - Ported Enclosure For HERTZ es380 15"
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Ported Enclosure For HERTZ es380 15" (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/23964-ported-enclosure-hertz-es380-15-a.html)

hi guys,

my ice is as follows:-

Head Unit - Pioneer 6850
Amplifier - pioneer GM-X944
Front Speakers - Hertz Energy esk165 6.5" components
rearfills - infinity ref9613l 6x9 speakers
Sub - HERTZ es380 15"
damping - front doors.

As suggested by some when i got the upgrade done, i would like to build a ported enclosure for the above sub.

i have a few doubts which i want to clear.

do sealed enclosure give better sq than a ported? i dont want to hurt the sq, just want an increase in bass. dont want boomy sound at all. can ported enclosures(well designed and built) give tight and punchy bass without being boomy?

also i tried a few softwares but the enclosure size is coming out to be huge. can anyone give me the exact volume and port dimensions for the above sub? Gunbir? JB? should i go according to the HERTZ manual?

im saying this again...i dont want to sacrifice sq much.

LBM, what were the differences when you switched from sealed to ported(your new subs - IDMAX)? did the sq suffer?

thanks in advance

cheers
clip

clipto,going by your details i think its sealed for you.a ported usually will sound loose and boomy.i persnally think that 15"ported in car and for sq is big no-no.
yes the difference is huge in lbms car after going from sealed to ported.the bass is boomy.no matter what you do a ported will have loose bass(usually).rest navinji,gunbir,b&t.......will be explain

Quote:

Originally Posted by zucchero (Post 435347)
clipto,going by your details i think its sealed for you.a ported usually will sound loose and boomy.i persnally think that 15"ported in car and for sq is big no-no.
yes the difference is huge in lbms car after going from sealed to ported.the bass is boomy.no matter what you do a ported will have loose bass(usually).rest navinji,gunbir,b&t.......will be explain

Nahin yaar brother. Totally depends on the sub, enclosure design and build, and the installer. Do all the three properly, and a ported box can rock your world just as well, or better in the case of some subs, than sealed enclosures.

clipto: Gunbir and JB can easily equip you with all that you'd need for a ported enclosure project for a Hertz sub if they find the need for one, I'm sure.

Firstly what hertz people has to say about there sub....

the sub will be fine in a 40 liters(1.41 cu.ft) sealed box which you have right now.....and for the ported box a volume of 60 liters (2.12 cu.ft) would be good......with a 82mm (3.22 inch) dia pipe with 290 mm ( 11.4 inch) length port......

Now if you go for a ported box you will gain about 3-4 db of more sound...for free without changing your sub or amp.....about SQ who says that the ported one is having trouble producing some nice sound.....when compared to the sealed counterpart.....If i am not wrong the ported enclosure design was patented nearly 10 years before the sealed box design....

here is a nice writeup by JL Audio one of the pioneer of some good SQ products of both car and home audio....there they have explained very clearly the difference between the sealed, ported bandpass designs....please read both the article carefully to fully understand the difference between the various enclosure....

JL Audio

JL Audio

one thing more I dont understand the meaning of boomy and punchy.....if we refer to boomy as the low end (25-40 hz) of the music spectrum and the punchy (40-80hz) then I think the smaller box will be the best bet....as the enclosure size increases the lower end tends to increase as the qtc of the enclosure increases.....close to 1...not it is the person to decide which way to go....

In much simpler terms, if your amp is powerful enough and/or the guy who makes the enclosures is an average joe and/or you have less space available, go for sealed; and if you have a relatively normal amp and/or the enclosures are being really made well and/or have the space in your vehicle, go for ported. Rest -- believe your ears (tm) (used without permission from Navin).

Whenever I say BOOM, I'm referring to the loose and reverbing bass (echo kind) after the original kick from the sub. It doesn't have nothing to do with the real punch. It may also be called the after effect.
This tends to be more pronounced in a ported/vented/bandpass /tubed box when compared to a sealed one.
Many companies always recommends sealed boxes as the first option. Ported etc. comes after that. Some companies recommend their sub to be used only in a sealed box.
I strongly believe this is due to the superiority and simplicity of a sealed box in terms of output quality.

Ofcourse, if one is only interested in db and lots of it, then ported/bandpass should be his destiny. Sealed should never be considered because it will decrease the volume of bass when compared to ported.

I have a bandpass sub which can knock off a sane person's socks, heads etc.. and I'm very proud to own one. Yes, it produces very heavy and punchy bass which stands out by itself and even causes trouble to drive the car if played to max for some time. But for long listening sessions, I always prefer my sealed one due to the tight, perfectly blended bass.

Sealed thingys are supposed to be tight too. Ain't it? :p

the manufacturer always recommend the sealed one because it is the easiest to built and the chance for error is not there....as there is only one major variable to play with that is the volume of the enclosure....but in a ported one there are many variables present....like volume, port dia, port length, tuning freq.....so there comes the design part.....so people tend to get along the sealed box.....also in a SQ install the sub is not played loud so a sealed box suffice the job.....but when hot blooded punjab de putter like our clip want loud music then a good designed ported or even a bandpass enclosure is a must.....

Oh, BHANGRA and boom boom! I forgot that part. rl:

I have seen and heard an install where an ES380 was installed in a ported box and kept into a Fiesta. The sub can really rock and make the neighbourhoods shake. If that is what Mr. Clip is looking for, then he should get a monoblock amp (or get his DIY sub amp finished) and hook it to this monster. Then, You'll see thingys moving around.
But, expect a bit of drop in SQ. But it will be okay to listen and will never sound absurd for sure.

hi,

thanks for the suggestions guys. ok let me tell you this. i compared a pio 306 svc(well theres no comparison butt still) in a ported enclosure with my hertz( my old pio sub which is lying with my bro in law) i was playing the song akon - wanna fcuk you. when the lowest bass note hits the pio went haywire reproducing the note. it was like about to chew my ears off. how can i describe the boomy sound?
the hertz was like so smooth. it was like crystal clear and was easy on the head. i could only feel the bass. the pio was atleast 4 times louder and it wasnt the bass coming out but a whole lot of noise. hope im not confusing you guys.

yes, the punjab da puttar wants bass but with kilarity like our faridabad da punjabi :-) . if the ported enclosure will sound like that then i wont touch it.

But IMHO, i should give it a try. i wanna compare a sealed with a properly designed ported enclosure. btw whats the dia of the audiocomp(audison) port you have lbm? i think you only get 1 size dia with variable lenght. also can you give me an idea about the price of an mdf board. .75 inchi.

in winisd the volume for the sub was around 400 litre. why? and in bass box pro it was 394 L. should i go with the manufacturers recommended volume?

also lbm can you post pics of a sedannwhose trunk lid and boot is damped. just want an idea cause im gonna damp the boot today. (gunbir i re used the damping on the door. i peeled it of very carefully and after heating it up with a 500w halogen light it was as shiny as new lol).

got a replacement for the damping as it somehow got stuck on the window glass and machinery. i think it was because of the climate and dust.

ofcourse the door looks bad with the re used damping with smaller pieces but the whole door is covered properly and its sounding great.

so guys keep the advice coming the punjab da bassy puttars way. i wish someone gifts me an audison or a steg amp on my birthday. then i dont neeed a ported enclosure.

btw lbm, how much did you sell your mrd 1005 for? i really liked that amp. keep me posted if theres a second hand audi son or any good sq amp. and please arrange for the finances if you find 1. :)

cheers

clip

hmmm.....400 liters....I think you would not require such huge volumes....a 2...2.5 cuft will be fine...

I am having a 3 inch port with 9 inch total length which can be reduced....

mrd1005 is for 29k with B/W.......It is very hard to find that amp in grey but I will keep you posted....

And one thing I wanna add here again....ported box does not mean no SQ......it can also do better than a sealed box in some cases no doubt in that......

Quote:

Originally Posted by clipto333 (Post 435773)
in winisd the volume for the sub was around 400 litre. why? and in bass box pro it was 394 L. should i go with the manufacturers recommended volume?

You got teh T/S specs. 400 liters is like a free air install!

clipto,i suppose gunbir is having a slightly used audison amp which is in mint condition.just pm him and see if anything can work out.hope this helps bro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 435838)

Ya I did not think of that....

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 435838)

hi,

yes. i dont know whats wrong but ill post the T/S Specification. here goes...

Qts - 0.52
Vas - 183 L
Fs - 24.20 Hz
Re - 2.90 Ohm
Le - 1.14
Xmax - 9.0 mm
Z - ?
Qms - 3.93
Qes - 0.60
Spl - 95.00 db
BL - 13.28
dia - 325mm

caulculate the box volume if you can please and let me know.
LBM paaji you also try.

cheers

clip

software im using is winisd beta and bass box pro

as I had said earlier a 60 liter box as recommended by hertz will do a fine job....