Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2021, 10:55   #1
BHPian

MG is charging ₹450 for switching over from Tom Tom to MapMyIndia!

As shared by MG India, owners have to pay 450₹ for switching over to MapmyIndia navigation app from the previous factory installed TomTom app.

MG is charging ₹450 for switching over from Tom Tom to MapMyIndia!-00015009768394_20210729_092310_0000.png

Source

I don't understand why they are charging for it especially it's mentioned not a license fee, but just a switching over fee !

Owners please share your experiences.
TorqueIndia is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 13:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: MG is charging ₹450 for switching over from Tom Tom to MapMyIndia!

What I don't understand is why companies like Tom Tom and Map My India still exist. Doesn't everyone use google maps itself?
IshaanIan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 13:14   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
What I don't understand is why companies like Tom Tom and Map My India still exist.
One reason for MapMyIndia could be - isnt NAVIC tie-ing up with MMI ? If yes, the future can be there.

MMI is also selling tracking devices.

Last edited by condor : 29th July 2021 at 13:16.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 14:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What I don't understand is why companies like Tom Tom and Map My India still exist. Doesn't everyone use google maps itself?
Reason is because of the way google would like to offer it to OEMs. In case of companies like TomTom, MMI, Here etc they would offer offline maps to the infotainment manufacturers with periodic updates and with all the data stored on the navigation SD card and they would run the business with a subscription or a license fee. Google maps is offered free for consumers in return for various tracking data in return with an online model. So unless google offers offline navigation as a service similar to other players, it would not be feasible in an infotainment system which was earlier designed for limited online services. That's the reason OEMs are still preferring other vendors even though their map data might not be as superior to google.

But lately at least in foreign countries, the on board navigation is switching to an online model with bi-directional data transfer. For example, any errors or new traffic signs are now reported to the map provider so that they could survey the area again and revise their maps. In turn, maps are also updating quicker. But for existing systems which are based on offline maps, the option to switch from provider to provider is limited by the type of service.
audioholic is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 15:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is good that they exist.
Healthy Competition will ensure that Mapping software gets better with each and every generation.

Secondly, for people who are not ok with Google's term of usage, these Maps (MMI, Tomtom, etc) are a half decent alternative.
Old 31st July 2021, 19:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure about MapMyIndia, but TomTom has a variety of other areas where their devices and maps (or rather the information/data they own) are making money. Even in markets where Google/Waze exists, there are surprisingly large number of people who are still interested in TomTom/Garmin navigation devices. What we don't normally see is the B2B side of things.
The scale of some of the B2B business models are beyond our imagination. The Googles and Apples of the world keep buying their maps and driving data.
I can think of all sorts of companies getting into autonomous driving will be in massive need of navigation/driving data. Navigations for airplanes and ships are massive markets. The list goes on.

Edit: A quick sneak peak into TomTom website gives a glimpse of where their money comes from.
https://www.tomtom.com/products/

Last edited by dileepcm : 31st July 2021 at 19:34. Reason: Adding more info.
dileepcm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 19:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
As shared by MG India, owners have to pay 450₹ for switching over to MapmyIndia navigation app from the previous factory installed TomTom app.
I think Rs. 450 is not a big amount after you spend 15 lakhs + on a car. There must be some service charge and/or limitation and hence they are charging it. Just pay it, get over with it and enjoy your wonderful vehicle. Drive it !
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 20:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
I think Rs. 450 is not a big amount after you spend 15 lakhs + on a car. There must be some service charge and/or limitation and hence they are charging it. Just pay it, get over with it and enjoy your wonderful vehicle. Drive it !
Is this happening ota or during a service?
As it is, I've barely used the infotainment apps so far. Almost always it's carplay for amazon Music and Google Maps.
Old 2nd August 2021, 20:11   #9

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: MG is charging ₹450 for switching over from Tom Tom to MapMyIndia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post

I don't understand why they are charging for it especially it's mentioned not a license fee, but just a switching over fee !

Owners please share your experiences.
If there is no additional feature then MG should not charge for this. Even if they are changing the service provider why should the cur buyer pay for it again if he has already paid for connectivity services as a part vehicle purchase. Switching over fee looks to be the cost of getting the technician to do it. Something like urbanclap these days where they charge for a technician visit. If its an OTA update then even that should not be applicable!

Quote:
Tom Tom, Here etc have good presence in some areas globally mainly due their price and localised focus. MapMyIndia is the Indian alternative and has been around for sometime. Google's Terms and conditions are not easy to work with for the OEMs and they sometime choose other alternatives.
white_wolf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 13:55   #10

Re: MG is charging ₹450 for switching over from Tom Tom to MapMyIndia!

How does one even get this update? It's not on ota yet. The dealer didn't offer me a paid upgrade when it got serviced mid August. Can someone help?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks