Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2021, 21:28   #16
BHPian

Re: MMI head-unit upgrade on a 2016 Audi A4 | Got Apple CarPlay, reversing cam & touchscreen

Wow! Nice!! I too own a 2016 Audi A4 and all this is missing in my car as well. I know this job can be done in Delhi but am looking for a reliable guy to do this. BTW how much your paid for this? Anyone from Delhi/NCR who knows someone who could execute this to perfection?

Last edited by NAVREVV : 7th September 2021 at 21:43.
Old 7th September 2021, 21:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: MMI head-unit upgrade on a 2016 Audi A4 | Got Apple CarPlay, reversing cam & touchscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by parathmaniraja View Post
This looks clean and looks stock, especially with CarPlay . I saw many android devices in BMW, but it looked cheap and not gel with the quality interior.
As mentioned earlier, there's no change in the stock looks and you will not be able to find a difference from stock. Its just the addition of an additional module that plugs on to the stock head unit. The module is discreetly mounted in the space between the glovebox and dashboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVREVV View Post
Wow! Nice!! I too own a 2016 Audi A4 and all this is missing in my car as well. I know this job can be done in Delhi but am looking for a reliable guy to do this. BTW how much your paid for this?
Yes, its totally worth it and you'd love your car even more. The cost is mentioned in the Evo link plus the camera cost.

Last edited by dinu2506 : 7th September 2021 at 22:01.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 22:05   #18
BHPian

Great upgrade.

Have been looking to get this for my 2018 A4 as well but not able to find someone like Evo retrofits in Delhi. There are many such boxes available online, but finding a competent person to install is more difficult.

Can you please confirm how are you routing the Siri commands or phone calls? All the boxes I could find online need the mic to be installed behind the rear view mirror with a wire running from the dashboard device throughout the side panels which I find to be the most messy part in this.

Thanks in advance.
Old 7th September 2021, 22:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekchanana View Post
Can you please confirm how are you routing the Siri commands or phone calls? All the boxes I could find online need the mic to be installed behind the rear view mirror with a wire running from the dashboard device throughout the side panels which I find to be the most messy part in this.
Thanks in advance.
The mic that comes with the unit is mounted, as you mentioned, behind the rear view mirror. But it’s neatly routed inside the A pillar and roof lining that you will find it hard to even locate, forget looking messy. If you ask me, this is the least of the worry. Siri works really well
Old 7th September 2021, 23:49   #20
BHPian

What a fantastic upgrade Sir. I think mods like these can enable us to drive the same car for a lot more years than usual. I am planning to do the same for my 330i using a bimmertech MMI. Just trying to find someone competent in Delhi/Gurgaon to do the job to satisfaction.
helterskelter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 01:30   #21
BHPian

Amazing upgradation without hampering OEM looks
AC/AA these days are quite helpful IMHO.

Just a thought, it seems Apple Carplay setting is done for LHD cars as the column is one the left as against it being on right.
Old 8th September 2021, 10:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by helterskelter View Post
What a fantastic upgrade Sir. I think mods like these can enable us to drive the same car for a lot more years than usual. I am planning to do the same for my 330i using a bimmertech MMI. Just trying to find someone competent in Delhi/Gurgaon to do the job to satisfaction.
Yes, this is like recharging the ride with a fresh lease of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post
Amazing upgradation without hampering OEM looks
AC/AA these days are quite helpful IMHO.

Just a thought, it seems Apple Carplay setting is done for LHD cars as the column is one the left as against it being on right.
Interesting observation, but I do not think the Apple CarPlay display is different for LHD and RHD. In all the searches I made, the column seems to be always on left
Old 8th September 2021, 19:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Interesting observation, but I do not think the Apple CarPlay display is different for LHD and RHD. In all the searches I made, the column seems to be always on left
In my cars, AC has column on the right as shown in the picture below. Though orientation should not hamper any functionality.

MMI head-unit upgrade on a 2016 Audi A4 | Got Apple CarPlay, reversing cam & touchscreen-20a2b98885ca4a5eb542b8186f43b48c.jpeg
Picture Source
GautamJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 20:13   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But I do not think the Apple CarPlay display is different for LHD and RHD. In all the searches I made, the column seems to be always on left
Classy upgrade, looks absolutely OEM!

Apple CarPlay does vary in LHD and RHD cars, all cars sold in India with Apple CarPlay will have the shortcuts column on the right so that the driver can access it easily while driving.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 21:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post
In my cars, AC has column on the right as shown in the picture below. Though orientation should not hamper any functionality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Apple CarPlay does vary in LHD and RHD cars, all cars sold in India with Apple CarPlay will have the shortcuts column on the right so that the driver can access it easily while driving.
You are right. Thanks for this new information. I was curious and just got it checked in my daughter's Grand i10 Nios. The Apple CarPlay column is on the right as both of you mentioned. Here's a photo

MMI head-unit upgrade on a 2016 Audi A4 | Got Apple CarPlay, reversing cam & touchscreen-i10.jpg
dinu2506 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 15:30   #26

Congratulations & thank you for this post, I share a similar sentiment with my Jaguar X250. Your post has now probed me to explore this option further. I have a couple or questions regarding the device and installation

1) I see this set up uses Audi's stock infotainment system, what additional devices are plugged to activate Carplay/Auto and where is it placed? Some pictures if you have & can be shared would have been helpful.

2) The installation process - I noticed a lot of the dash components were removed for this installation. How has your experience been post installation in terms of vibrations or Squeaks? Have you noticed any new alien sounds from the dash? Also, scratches from use of tools etc? ( I can live without Carplay, but not with a single noise inside the car)

3) Are the stock USB working?

Your inputs will be helpful. Thank you.
Old 11th September 2021, 20:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponz View Post
Congratulations & thank you for this post, I share a similar sentiment with my Jaguar X250. Your post has now probed me to explore this option further. I have a couple or questions regarding the device and installation

1) I see this set up uses Audi's stock infotainment system, what additional devices are plugged to activate Carplay/Auto and where is it placed? Some pictures if you have & can be shared would have been helpful.
MMI head-unit upgrade on a 2016 Audi A4 | Got Apple CarPlay, reversing cam & touchscreen-capture.jpg
I do not have a picture of the Evofit unit, but it is very similar to the attached photo with all the plug in wiring. The sizes are mentioned. This is mounted after bringing the glovebox down and goes in the space between the glovebox and top of the dashboard

Quote:
2) The installation process - I noticed a lot of the dash components were removed for this installation. How has your experience been post installation in terms of vibrations or Squeaks? Have you noticed any new alien sounds from the dash? Also, scratches from use of tools etc? ( I can live without Carplay, but not with a single noise inside the car)
This is where you need the expertise of a good installer. In my case this was carried out very professionally and I did not experience any squeak or rattle post installation. They used all the correct tools that are needed for this job and not a single clip was broken nor any scratches observed. But yes, you need to find a good installer you can entrust this job to.

Quote:
3) Are the stock USB working?
Your inputs will be helpful. Thank you.
The A4 did not have a USB port, rather it has an MMI interface. The unit uses this interface but an extra USB port is offered by the unit that I have routed through to the arm rest console.

Last edited by dinu2506 : 11th September 2021 at 20:43.
dinu2506 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 21:00   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The mic that comes with the unit is mounted, as you mentioned, behind the rear view mirror. But it’s neatly routed inside the A pillar and roof lining that you will find it hard to even locate, forget looking messy. If you ask me, this is the least of the worry. Siri works really well
Thanks to your thread I finally installed it in my A4 B9 as well. Its working like a charm and makes the car so much more up to date. . I also found out the newer units use the car's inbuilt mic without having to route the mic cable I was so worried about. Not sure whether that'll work with A4 B8 as well though. Attaching a link below of the detailed steps I took in this DIY posted on my ownership thread.

DIY - Adding Carplay / Android Auto to Audi A4 B9 (2 years with an Audi A4 - Living my dream)
prateekchanana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 21:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekchanana View Post
Thanks to your thread I finally installed it in my A4 B9 as well. Its working like a charm and makes the car so much more up to date. . I also found out the newer units use the car's inbuilt mic without having to route the mic cable I was so worried about. Not sure whether that'll work with A4 B8 as well though. Attaching a link below of the detailed steps I took in this DIY posted on my ownership thread.

DIY - Adding Carplay / Android Auto to Audi A4 B9 (2 years with an Audi A4 - Living my dream)
Congratulations, and hats off to your courage to do it on your own. I went through your post and the pictures. Great job. Happy to know my installation prompted you to go ahead. All the best and happy mile munching.
Old 4th January 2022, 21:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Classy upgrade, looks absolutely OEM!

Finally, could reach the setting to change the quick access column from left to right as needed for RHD cars
Attached Thumbnails
MMI head-unit upgrade on a 2016 Audi A4 | Got Apple CarPlay, reversing cam & touchscreen-carplay.jpg  

Most Viewed