Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2007, 13:30   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Upgraded AMP/SUB in Viva CRDI

Finally, i was able to get some time to get the pics uploaded of my recent upgrade of my ICE. Thanks to all the audio gurus for helping me take this decision, especially Hydrashok, Navin and Sam.

Just uploaded some random pictures of my Amp's and Sub

AMP 1: Sony 554 ( old one)
AMP 2: JBL Monoblock, CS300.1
SUB: JBL CS1204B

[img=http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8163/6600image155ch6.th.jpg]

[img=http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2057/6600image147gm1.th.jpg]

[img=http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8905/6600image150yd2.th.jpg]

[img=http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4126/6600image159zo6.th.jpg]

[img=http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7379/6600image149jw
1.th.jpg]
Old 17th May 2007, 13:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

oops, can a mod edit pls and if possible display the pictures in the post itself without having to click the link to see them? Thanks
Old 17th May 2007, 13:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

@mobike, are the amps below the rubber mat in the boot? Or on the sides of the boot? I wouldn't keep them under the rubber mats as they wouldn't get enough air flow and are likely to get really hot.

Maybe I'm being a little fussy/paranoid/anal here , but if the equipment were mine I would install them someplace else (like sides of the boot or on the rear seat) where they get more air. Or, I'd just leave them there, and fold back the rubber mat so they get air.

Don't be stingy with the snaps: More, more, more

Last edited by hydrashok : 17th May 2007 at 13:51.
Old 17th May 2007, 14:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@Hydra, sony amp is under the passenger seat and mono is under my bu ** .

Reason for situating them above is because viva does not have strong sidewalls in the boot to install the amps. only other place would be behind the rear seats but that would require some planking as i was in a hurry to get it installed, got them under the seats. I plan to remove these 2 amps in the near future and install behind the rear seats on planks.

Amps being where it is will cause any heating issues?

Sorry for the quality of snaps as taken from my phone camera and just clicked a few of them
Old 17th May 2007, 15:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Amps being where it is will cause any heating issues?
Nope. No heating issues at all. But there will be a bit of trouble with dust and dirt. Once you relocate them to the back of the back-seat, there won't be any problem whatsoever. If you're a bit careful, and if you make sure the passengers are careful, nothing wrong with leaving the amps under the seats.

I used to have my first pair of amps under the seats looooong back. I'd made a frame-thing of iron, with steel mesh on it, and dropped this frame over the amp (for a bit of air). There was about 2 inches clearance between the mesh and the top of the amp. I then covered the contraption with carpet stitched to its shape (and stuck the contraption to the carpet on the car's floor with velcro). I had two amps this way under the drivers' seat and right behind the driver's seat. The mesh and frame on the amp behind the driver's seat was strong enough for somebody to stand on it, so passengers kicking/stamping the amp was not an issue. This was a crude but reasonably neat setup. It was also meant to be a total stealth setup (as the family did not know about the amps. I even had a CD changer under the passenger seat, hidden and protected in the same way heh, heh).

Setup this way, the amps did not overheat at all, and there was no issue with dust (I also used to keep the area clean and I made sure passengers did not get dirt into the car). But there was some problem with the car's AC and quite a bit of water leaked into the car's carpet (the entire floor of the car became damp). That's when I removed those amps (gave them away to friends for almost nothing -- they still use those amps) and got a new pair of Blau amps behind my rear seat.

Ok, nostalgia apart (I do tend to yak), what I'm getting to is that if you're careful, amps under the seats will be ok for a while.
Old 17th May 2007, 15:37   #6
BHPian

Well, probably no heating issues but when they pressure was your car in the showroom, maybe water will screw up both the amps and wiring/electricals. Always install amps behind the rear seats
Old 17th May 2007, 15:56   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Well, probably no heating issues but when they pressure was your car in the showroom, maybe water will screw up both the amps and wiring/electricals. Always install amps behind the rear seats
How will water go inside the cabin when the pressure wash is done for the exterior?
Old 17th May 2007, 16:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Very valid point, gopz! This happens quite often. They even screw your speakers (front door) this way.

The guy who is washing opens the door to wash dirt off the door sill and the bottom of the door. They usually do this is a fast flicking motion and even when done right, a bit of water gets inside. Done wrong (the usual state), quite a bit of water gets right under the seat and/or into the speakers.

I lost a speaker this way. Since then, I specifically ask the service people (at the A. S. S.) NOT to wash my car at all (since I won't be there when the washing is done). When I take the car to a service station for washing, I don't let them do anything inside (I keep the doors locked) and stand by the car even if I get soaking wet. I do all the cleaning inside the car myself.

@mobike, one way to get around this is to cover the amps with plastic sheet when you give the car for service. That will offer some protection. But remember to remove the sheet before you start using the ICE.
Old 17th May 2007, 16:19   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the advice guys. I always had the habit of warning the A.S.S people to wash only the exteriors with all doors closed, no window sill will cleaning , if they do that then my daily car saaf karne wala will become jobless.

So i reckon i am pretty safe on this front.
Old 17th May 2007, 17:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have my amp under the passenger seat & so far i have had no issues. I hope nothing comes up in the future too as there is no space at the back of the rear seat in my car due to the presence of the LPG tank.

BTW, Hydra what did you do with those contraptions that you made for your amps ? are they still available ?
Old 17th May 2007, 21:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
BTW, Hydra what did you do with those contraptions that you made for your amps ? are they still available ?
Lemme see. Might still have them out in the junk room at home. I hope my mom hasn't sold them as scrap.
Old 18th May 2007, 02:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think it is better to fit them on the back of the rear seats. My amps stayed underneath the seats and have got really dirty in a month.

Besides, the JBL amps look cool with the glowing blues when installed in the back. I'll post my setup pictures in Sound off and Show off very soon!
Old 18th May 2007, 08:17   #13
BANNED

Congrats Mobike.
That's a nice upgrade job. How does it sound now?
Old 18th May 2007, 10:52   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Congrats Mobike.
That's a nice upgrade job. How does it sound now?
it sounds awesome, the bass is now much much more richer and deeper and i can feel the entire cabin reverbrating with that lovely deep sound. But, now this has sparked off a new problem , my boot rattles like mad and its spoiling the entire fun and problem is that i dont know if any installer in hyderabad has even heard about dampening.

Gurus, Is it ok, if i remove the plastic part ( area which lifts when you lift the boot) and fill/stuff it with thermacoal and place the pastic part back???
Old 18th May 2007, 11:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
it sounds awesome, the bass is now much much more richer and deeper and i can feel the entire cabin reverbrating with that lovely deep sound. But, now this has sparked off a new problem , my boot rattles like mad and its spoiling the entire fun and problem is that i dont know if any installer in hyderabad has even heard about dampening.

Gurus, Is it ok, if i remove the plastic part ( area which lifts when you lift the boot) and fill/stuff it with thermacoal and place the pastic part back???
Dont put thermocol anywhere in the car, unless its a cool case for some beers.

Identify the parts that actually rattle, this you can judge by standing outside near the trunk with the system playing. Damp the metal or plastic from the insides using some sound deadening material. Some under the parcel shelf should also help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks