Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2007, 16:51   #1
BHPian

ICE for my new Wagon R DUO

Hi guys Im taking delv of My black wagaon r duo next week ,the guy at the mondovi motors suggest me this comb for my car
Sony gt460 mp3-9100
sony 1022 front speaker 1450
sony 1622 rear speaker 1775

antena+plank (which moves with the hood) & labor total =13155

Now u guys plz help me is this good enough or am i taken for ride?
I listen to music all the time but i like good effect if im gonna pay around 14 k ,also can u experts suggest any other combi around 13-14 k ,the bass should be good .

thanks in advance
Old 17th May 2007, 20:33   #2
BHPian

Shiv:

As suggested many Gurus here have confirmed and it has been proved that Sony is not a good brand when it comes to ICE .

there is a thread which has different budget levels and the ICE you can get it was posted by Navin. that should help you

www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gurus/16596-basic-ice-systems-various-budgets-10k-15k-20k-25k-30k.html

Cheers !
Old 17th May 2007, 20:55   #3
BHPian

Who Says " SONY " is not good for ICE..! Its a good system with defined potential..! Generally more appealing on Budget Systems..!

Pio , Alpine, Blaupunkt are great systems but are generally for a Higher Budget user.

Don't go for Sony Speakers, Go for Pio 6469 6X9 or for JBL.

But first define your budget as the Sound can accordingly be boomed..depending on how many Gandhi's are ready for the Jiggle..!

Basic System with Sony HU GT 250, Pio Speakers will cost around 7 K, You can play along for more Bass with Sub and decent amp bringing price up to 14 or so.
Old 17th May 2007, 23:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Who Says " SONY " is not good for ICE..! Its a good system with defined potential..! Generally more appealing on Budget Systems..!
Sony is cheaper but they are not good sounding....also the reliability is also a issue.....like cd lense stop working.....rest Sony is fine....
Old 17th May 2007, 23:34   #5
BHPian

Bhai, Its been almost One year in my car..lens still works...! My friend has one in his esteem bought 3 years back still works fine..!

I'm not saying that the Quality is great, But its not bad and its meant more for a Budget user, Not for High Moolah or Sound Crazy freaks..!

IMHO Kenwood is a good player too, Now someone will come up and say Wakey Wakey Wolf..You still in Kenwood..! But it still plays great as an OEM with my Lancer.

Its about choosing what you really need, Should you need Higher levels of clarity and power then High setups are great...!

Sony does a good basic budget work for most..!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 17th May 2007 at 23:36.
Old 18th May 2007, 01:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivkumar19 View Post
antena+plank (which moves with the hood) & labor total =13155

Now u guys plz help me is this good enough or am i taken for ride?
I listen to music all the time but i like good effect if im gonna pay around 14 k ,also can u experts suggest any other combi around 13-14 k ,the bass should be good .

thanks in advance
If you listen to music all the time in your car, you might as well look at what you can get for 15k from Navin's suggestion in the sticky thread.
And if you're looking at bass, I'm not sure this setup will boom the way you want it to. But as the gurus suggest, why don't you go out to the market and have a demo of what you can get for 15k? Comparing prices from a good dealer would answer the 'Taking for a ride' part.

Sony according to me is a total budget system. There was this guy who'd come with his Alto to the same place where I was getting my car ICEd. We happened to talk very casually and I asked him about his setup. He told me how his dad would just listen to one or two old hindi songs by the time he'd get to office and another couple probably on his way back. He said his dad doesn't care as long as he can hear something. Now in situations like this, I think Sony is not a bad choice since they get a long warranty, everything works out really cheap and they don't have to buy something unbranded just because their budget is low.

I however second what LBM says when we talk about SQ or quality in general.
Old 18th May 2007, 08:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
... He told me how his dad would just listen to one or two old hindi songs by the time he'd get to office and another couple probably on his way back. He said his dad doesn't care as long as he can hear something. Now in situations like this, I think Sony is not a bad choice since they get a long warranty, everything works out really cheap and they don't have to buy something unbranded just because their budget is low.
Very, very true. Especially when we're talking about Sony Speakers. For someone like this, buying anything else would be a waste of money.

Though we all bash Sony amps and HUs they are reasonable value for money. You definitely get what you pay for.

That said, I'd agree with l_b_m 100% that for somebody who cares about the finer nuances of music, and is looking to enjoy music, rather than have some background sound to fill the time, most Sony products would be a waste (esp. the speakers).

For a first-timer or for somebody on a tight budget, Sony amps would do a reasonable job, and they would be better than unbranded/fake amps or god forbid, BOSS amps.

And most of the Sony HUs I've seen do conk out in a year to 2 years because of the lens issue. It is so common Sony must have taken notice of this. Maybe they've fixed things.
Old 18th May 2007, 09:01   #8
BANNED

For a WagonR, get a good quality 4" co-axial for the front. It's a bit difficult to fit components in front unless You're ready to cut the doors.
As it is just a 4incher upfront, rear has to be 6X9s unless You're planning an amp + sub also.
Old 18th May 2007, 09:08   #9
Team-BHP Support

Have you read this thread. It is very recent.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...-speakers.html
Old 18th May 2007, 09:11   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is a nice Wagon R system in the link in my post above. The budget was 10K so it was not expensive.

Also if one needs a bit more bass one can replace the rear speakers with a MDF board and a pair of 6x9s. The DIFFERENCE (between this and the 6" coax in the rear) would be 3-4K.

For systems under 20K I dont think one should really try to include a subwoofer and amp.
Old 18th May 2007, 09:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think the HU's price is a little high considering it is a base model though has pretty good features.

What is the warranty that you are getting for this ? If it is more than 2 years, it could be worth it.
Old 18th May 2007, 10:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bhai, Its been almost One year in my car..lens still works...! My friend has one in his esteem bought 3 years back still works fine..!

Sony does a good basic budget work for most..!
I have no problem with sony...they are called jack of all and master of none....there car audio is cheap that I agree but there are also some cheap models from pioneer, jbl also who say sony is the cheapest.....If I am not wrong sony HU will be for 4k....and pioneer will be max 4.5-5k...now this is not a big difference......but after all BOSE also sell like hot cake .....but the buyer will only buy it once after that he will never buy it if he has listened to some good brands....
Old 22nd May 2007, 14:03   #13
BHPian

I agree, people will never go back to Sony or Pio if they listen to Alpine etc ... I had a Sony, then shifted to Pio but now Im with Alpine and I know the difference!
Old 22nd May 2007, 15:45   #14
BHPian

another problem with sony is that the buttons start acting funny after some time(say about a year or so), have seen this problem on all sony stuff I have, be it the tv, home stereo or car stereo
Old 22nd May 2007, 20:12   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
I had a Sony, then shifted to Pio but now Im with Alpine and I know the difference!
Is the difference so apparent?

Most Viewed