Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2007, 09:52   #1
BHPian

Crossover Network Queries

Hi to All the Audio Guru,

Please help me in this matter

I have a Pioneer TS20 and can I connect this using a 2 way passive Crossover network with the Kenwood full range speaker. Will it make any difference in the sound. Currently it is attached parallel to the font channel of the Audio system.
Old 30th May 2007, 15:15   #2
BHPian

You can try it out. Sometimes the cross over freq dont match with different sounds...but worth giving a try. Maybe you can connect it and try to increase the bass and see for distortions in the tweeter. If its noticeably lesser (than if you connect in parallel) then it might be worth keeping it.
Old 30th May 2007, 15:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
You can try it out. Sometimes the cross over freq dont match with different sounds...but worth giving a try. Maybe you can connect it and try to increase the bass and see for distortions in the tweeter. If its noticeably lesser (than if you connect in parallel) then it might be worth keeping it.
hi,

didnt understand what you are saying:-) do you mean to say give more bass to the tweeter to check distortions? it might blow the tweeter. tweeters are supposed to play only high frequency. please clarify what you are saying

cheers

clip
Old 30th May 2007, 15:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar_ranjan View Post
Hi to All the Audio Guru,

Please help me in this matter

I have a Pioneer TS20 and can I connect this using a 2 way passive Crossover network with the Kenwood full range speaker. Will it make any difference in the sound. Currently it is attached parallel to the font channel of the Audio system.
the TS-20 with a full range driver will cause total chaos in the car...I would never recommend this to anyone....I would suggest to remove the ts-20 and then try listening to the sound hope you will like it much better...
Old 30th May 2007, 17:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
hi,

didnt understand what you are saying:-) do you mean to say give more bass to the tweeter to check distortions? it might blow the tweeter. tweeters are supposed to play only high frequency. please clarify what you are saying

cheers

clip
Hi clipto333,
"Will it make any difference in the sound" was the original question posted, so, to find out if the crossover makes any difference or not, the easiest way is to increase the bass level, if the crossover indeed makes a difference, then it will cut out the low frequencies and will not distort.
Old 30th May 2007, 17:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Hi clipto333,
"Will it make any difference in the sound" was the original question posted, so, to find out if the crossover makes any difference or not, the easiest way is to increase the bass level, if the crossover indeed makes a difference, then it will cut out the low frequencies and will not distort.
Incorrect.....the crossover will not make the distortions....it is the amp which is clipping in this case....crossover is simply doing it work of HPF (capacitor) or LPF (inductor)....
Old 30th May 2007, 23:58   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar_ranjan View Post
I assume the TS20 has a HPF in it even in it's present state.

you can remove that HPF and then connect the TS20 to the HP output of the 2 way crossover and the fullrange to the LP output. the problems you will face are as follows:

1. The TS20 might not be level matched to the fulrange so you might need a L-pad.
2. the HF of the fullrange might be nicer than the TS20 in which case it might be nicer to do away with the TS20
3. depending on the crossover network used the TS20 might still be stressed and the reactive elements of the crossover network might have to be modifed to work.
Old 31st May 2007, 00:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I assume the TS20 has a HPF in it even in it's present state.

you can remove that HPF and then connect the TS20 to the HP output of the 2 way crossover and the fullrange to the LP output. the problems you will face are as follows:

1. The TS20 might not be level matched to the fulrange so you might need a L-pad.
2. the HF of the fullrange might be nicer than the TS20 in which case it might be nicer to do away with the TS20
3. depending on the crossover network used the TS20 might still be stressed and the reactive elements of the crossover network might have to be modifed to work.

In plain english word no need to go that way...the results will not be good....
Old 31st May 2007, 14:04   #9
BHPian

Thanks a Lot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
In plain english word no need to go that way...the results will not be good....
Thanks to all the advice/suggestions given by the members. I would follow the advice and leave the full range speaker as it is and remove the TS20 for good sound.

Most Viewed