Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2021, 22:25   #1
BHPian

Weird Android Auto bug

Dear Mods, unable to find a suitable thread, so starting a new one.

I seem to be facing a weird issue with Android Auto. Whenever I connect my phone to the HU via Android Auto and play music, the audio is routed through the car's speakers. Perfectly fine. When I initiate or get a call while the music is getting played, the call audio is routed through to the car's speakers. Perfectly fine. But the moment the call is over and the music play resumes, the audio is routed to the phone's speakers rather than the car's. This is extremely irritating. I have to disconnect and connect the phone once again to get the audio routed back to the car's speakers.

I have this issue in both my earlier Skoda Rapid's OEM RCD system and my current SCross' Blaupunkt New York 750. I have a Redmi Note 9 Pro running Android 11. I tried to check the same with my wife's OnePlus 7T and face the same issue. Whereas when I connect my other iPhone with CarPlay, it is flawless!

I did google the issue and found a few posts in Android Auto's support page where most people had faced this issue with Android 10 but Android 11 seems to have corrected this. But not for me. Does anyone else face this issue?
vshankarhere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 23:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Weird Android Auto bug

Did you try upgrading the android auto to version 6.1?

This google support page is saying that:

Quote:
If you are experiencing an issue where the audio is playing from your phone speakers instead of the car speakers on Android Auto after upgrading your phone operating system to Android 11, a fix has already been rolled out with the Android Auto app version 6.1. We recommend updating the app to the latest version.
Thanks!
The Android Auto team
lsjey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 00:56   #3
BHPian

I was facing something similar, Bluetooth music was playing perfectly.
Cell phone Audio was not getting through. Tried unpairing and re-paired, no difference.
Some problem when the phone was connected via Android Auto too.
I checked online, nothing. Removed the battery for 30 mins and reconnected.
No difference.

Took it to my neighborhood car accessory guy, removed the HU and did a hard reset, by pressing the button the rear of the HU.
Everything was back on.
Try and see if it works for you.
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 07:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
Did you try upgrading the android auto to version 6.1?

This google support page is saying that:
Yes. Have gone through the same thread you mention. Have updated to the latest Android Auto version which is 7.1.614513. In fact, while the new AA version is yet to be updated in the play store, have downloaded the same via apk mirror and installed the same but no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post

Took it to my neighborhood car accessory guy, removed the HU and did a hard reset, by pressing the button the rear of the HU.
Everything was back on.
Try and see if it works for you.
With my Blaupunkt New York 750, the issue has been there right from day 1. I did try hard reset but nothing has changed.
vshankarhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 08:17   #5
BHPian

Just realised, fiddling with the latest Android Auto update has enabled wireless Android Auto with my Blaupunkt NY750 HU which is super cool! I tried connecting AA wirelessly and it is pretty straight forward. But yet again, the audio getting routed to the phone speaker still persists.
Old 2nd December 2021, 11:49   #6
BHPian

Had this issue for years together, tried a lot of solutions posted online but none worked. I know its a lot to ask from Google to support so many phones and so many HUDs, but the base software on both sides should have at least these basic issues resolved. Finally moved to Apple CarPlay and none of these issues surfaced again!

Last edited by ananthacharya : 2nd December 2021 at 11:51. Reason: typo
Old 2nd December 2021, 21:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthacharya View Post
Had this issue for years together, tried a lot of solutions posted online but none worked. I know its a lot to ask from Google to support so many phones and so many HUDs, but the base software on both sides should have at least these basic issues resolved. Finally moved to Apple CarPlay and none of these issues surfaced again!
Yes, CarPlay is completely bug free, with a smooth interface. Everything works as promised. Apple is an Apple by all means.
Old 2nd December 2021, 22:12   #8
BHPian

What you can do is try to reset the app (android auto ) entirely and start afresh. See if that would help it. Considering you were not facing issues previously, AFAIK it should fix the issue.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Old 2nd December 2021, 22:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtoncastelino View Post
What you can do is try to reset the app (android auto ) entirely and start afresh. See if that would help it. Considering you were not facing issues previously, AFAIK it should fix the issue.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ha ha no, am facing this issue with Android Auto right from day 1. Since I have both an Android and an Iphone, am managing with ACP as of now. But it is high time there is some remedy to this bug.
Old 11th December 2021, 21:26   #10
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankarhere View Post
But the moment the call is over and the music play resumes, the audio is routed to the phone's speakers rather than the car's. This is extremely irritating. Does anyone else face this issue?
I had the exact problem with my Baleno having a bosch head unit. The only solution I found for this problem is to change phone. This happens with redmi note 7 pro running on mi ui 12.5.1.0 but never happens with redmi note 10 pro, redmi 8 a dual(based on Android version 10). This problem is phone specific I believe.
vivek2652 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 09:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Same thing happens with the MBUX system on the C300AMG and Android auto. I use a One Plus 8 pro.

I tried using a Samsung and it works perfectly , even with Apple phones it works. But not with OnePlus !

Maybe it's an BT issue with Chinese brands.

Also when using Android Auto only 70% of screen is used but with carplay I get a full screen experience on the MBUX.
Old 20th December 2021, 14:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Same thing happens with the MBUX system on the C300AMG and Android auto. I use a One Plus 8 pro.

I tried using a Samsung and it works perfectly , even with Apple phones it works. But not with OnePlus !

Maybe it's an BT issue with Chinese brands.

Also when using Android Auto only 70% of screen is used but with carplay I get a full screen experience on the MBUX.
Even with the latest Android Auto update, the issue doesn't seem to be resolved. Still persists in my Redmi Note 9 Pro.
Old 20th December 2021, 15:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankarhere View Post
Even with the latest Android Auto update, the issue doesn't seem to be resolved. Still persists in my Redmi Note 9 Pro.
For me the issue looks like that of the Android device than the android version or head unit. In Android, sound routing is defined by something called Audio policy manager which is usually customised by(OEM) the mobile phone manufacturers. So unless OEM fixes the issue, Android version update or Android auto app update hardly matters. I strongly suspect every Redmi Note 9 Pro has the same issue. If same policy manager configurations are used across all Redmi phones, then all will have same issue.
Old 1st March 2023, 21:40   #14
BHPian

Query: How to connect to android auto

I own a Nissan Kicks 1.3l Turbo XV variant with the half floating touch screen in the front.

This one supports wired android auto. While my dad (Asus 6s) is able to connect flawlessly with almost any type c data cable, i am unable to connect using my Poco X3 (non NFC) with the Poco's data transfer cable itself. Is this due to One registered user limit or is it my phone or am i not doing it properly? Please help me out.

Most Viewed