Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2007, 11:37   #1
Team-BHP Support

Special needs for "rough road" ICE

I am planning to get new ICE. The system is decided, and everything is set.
But I have one doubt. I do a lot of "really really" rough road driving, mostly in the hills over non existent roads. Everything rattles, shakes and things can come loose.
I have had to tighten speaker wires, screws etc., many times.
Is there anything special which can be done while installation so the ICE becomes rough road proof.
I don't want to have to go to the installer after every holiday, to tighten the enclosure, or get the HU refitted etc.,
Please give some tips. I am sure lot of people here have ultra low profile tyres which make every road a rough road. How do you make sure your ICE stays in place?
Old 29th May 2007, 11:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

tighten it properly...so no need for any further maintained it....

the fitting done by normal car installer is not so fine....so take extra care yourself when you do the same.....
Old 29th May 2007, 12:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think:
1) Solder all wires properly
2) Screw sub-box to seat & boot floor using those "L" brackets.
3) No MDF parcel trays. If you do use them, make sure they are screwed down, and not liftable.
4) Amps to be screwed to MDF planks, and MDF planks to be screwed to the rear of seats/floor of boot. Floor of boot maybe better.
5) All screw-holes of speakers and amps to be used to screw them down. Eg: Some installers may use only 4 holes out of six in speakers, etc.
6) Maybe using a foam backing under the amps before screwing them to planks would be good? Gurus?
Old 29th May 2007, 22:20   #4
Team-BHP Support

A touch of loctite on each screw.
Old 30th May 2007, 16:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

precautions taken is good but I would suggest to get the ICE stuff checked by the installer after every trip you make to the mountains....it will ensure the better condition of the equipment....
Old 30th May 2007, 17:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
A touch of loctite on each screw.
This really makes sense...but navin wont this damage the speakers if we want to unscrew it at a later point of time? because loctite is permanent glue so I know its very very strong compared the speakers plastics?
Old 30th May 2007, 17:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

there are special loctite for holding the screw not the regular elfy type.....but it can be used also...but with careful hands only....
Old 30th May 2007, 23:52   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
This really makes sense...but navin wont this damage the speakers if we want to unscrew it at a later point of time? because loctite is permanent glue so I know its very very strong compared the speakers plastics?
I use a more reliable technique but I do not subscribe it for everyone as it requires very careful hands.

dip each screw in expxy cement befoer you screw it on, keeping the head clear of glue. Now when you need to unscrew it heat the screw with a soldering iron. expoxy cement will crack and the screw will be easy to remove.
Old 30th May 2007, 23:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use a more reliable technique but I do not subscribe it for everyone as it requires very careful hands.

dip each screw in expxy cement befoer you screw it on, keeping the head clear of glue. Now when you need to unscrew it heat the screw with a soldering iron. expoxy cement will crack and the screw will be easy to remove.
As always you have so many tricks up your sleeve...
Old 31st May 2007, 00:13   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Old men usually do.
Old 31st May 2007, 00:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for an additional query,rough roads seem to have a very bad effect on Cd's and you end up with an unplayable cd any way to protect/minimise scratches due to rough roads.
Old 31st May 2007, 00:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
knowledge is gain with experience which Navin Ji has a lot of it.....
Old 31st May 2007, 00:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Sorry for an additional query,rough roads seem to have a very bad effect on Cd's and you end up with an unplayable cd any way to protect/minimise scratches due to rough roads.
The way out is a suspension in good shape & a HU which has been serviced recently. Had both things done recently on my car & the audio runs beautifully now!

Last edited by iraghava : 31st May 2007 at 00:45.
Old 31st May 2007, 01:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
dip each screw in expxy cement befoer you screw it on
Navin ji, a little OT here. I am not sure whether i am right or wrong, but shouldn't 'prescribe' be used here instead of 'subscribe'. Or is it something to with American / British english difference.

BTW what is epoxy cement ? Is it normal cement , white cement or some other special cement ?

CD players are fragile equipment and i guess CD will be more prone to scratches if the ride is very rough. If you are looking to buy a mp3 player, why not get a flash based mp3 player and connect it to aux in. No jhanjhat related to HU now.

Last edited by austere_sly : 31st May 2007 at 01:47.
Old 31st May 2007, 07:38   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Cool one Navin..

Most Viewed