Team-BHP - Audio system with a simple design
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Audio system with a simple design (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/24550-audio-system-simple-design.html)

Hi,
I used to own a Mazda Protege (99 model) in the US.
It came with a factory fitted CD Player & Radio which had a
very simple panel & display. It had a simple screen with a
single line of Black LED lettering showing stuff like Track[N] or AM/FM Frequency etc or the Clock. Below the display were buttons
- to increase volume, move forward/back/ change radio to 5 radio presets. On the side of the display panel was couple of small switches to change
from Radio to CD Player & to set the time.

This is photo I found on google search which is identical to what
I had

http://www.tss-radio.com/images/MZ-55-99-1_2.jpg

The Panel where 4:30 (time) is shown is the display panel. Below it are
the buttons. Above the display is where you insert the CD.

I now own a Swift VXI in India now & am looking to fit a audio system on
it. Budget including the HU & speakers is Rs 10000. Are there any
players in the market which have a simple display & controls like
I described above. In most of my friends cars, I see displays which
have shining blue/red lights & streaks & there are moving/shinings
displays & lines. I absolutely detest these.

So other than decent sound, my other criteria for the audio system
are
1) Under 10K total fitted
2) Simple Display Panel like I described above.
3) Secure - I am not planning to fit a security system in the car.
Nor am I planning to remove the faceplate & take it home with me.
So are there HU's which are comparitevely difficult to remove or
are bolted firmly etc. By the way, do all the HUs come with a removable
faceplate or are there ones which come with a fixed faceplate - it
doesn't matter to me either way, but just curious.

get the skoda hu which is removed and sold as it is not liked by many but you....it will cost you in 4-6k range....about speakers you can get co-axials in the front and the back doors....the whole setup will cost you approx 10k + 1k

Quote:

Originally Posted by low_bass_makker (Post 452665)
get the skoda hu which is removed and sold as it is not liked by many but you

Is there no manufacturer who makes a display without flashing lights/colours
etc? What's the simplest display I can get without going for a recycled
Skoda HU?

for the HU, have a look at Blaupunkt Bahamas MP46.... its black color will suit the swift interiors...the looks are very simple and decent... and most important stuff is you can have any color on the display with RGB 4096 combinations...it plays MP3, WMA has bluetooth compatability and auxiallay input too...i've it fitted in my CVT

Quote:

Originally Posted by zakaaaaasss (Post 452717)
for the HU, have a look at Blaupunkt Bahamas MP46.... its black color will suit the swift interiors...the looks are very simple and decent... and most important stuff is you can have any color on the display with RGB 4096 combinations...it plays MP3, WMA has bluetooth compatability and auxiallay input too...i've it fitted in my CVT

How much does it cost? I am interested in something under 10K (including
4 speakers). I am not really interested in MP3, WMA or bluetooth or any
other inputs.

The only thing I am going to play on my player is regular Music CDs.

Is Blaupunkt otherwise a reliable brand?

I have seen a few JVC CD players which cost around 4K

Below is a higher end model(around 5-6K).
They have a black background and color display, not too bright.

In your budget I suggest you look at the 3-4K variety from JVC or Pioneer and then choose 2 coax+ 2 front speakers + 2 tweeters.
I got such a system in my indica long time back and the cost was around 10K.
As of today the cost will be much less.

Do you want with Bill and Warranty or without B&W will do.

Quote:

It looks Zakaaaaas lol: . Any idea about the cost?

Ain't a Guru, but being a simple query here goes... Kenwood I guess is the answer. Check the kenwood range and they would deliver exactly what you are asking for. The earlier models of JVC also would provide you with a simple information display. However if my guess is right you might have to end up with an ACD player with no capability to play mp3 cds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 452615)
3) Secure - I am not planning to fit a security system in the car.
Nor am I planning to remove the faceplate & take it home with me.
So are there HU's which are comparitevely difficult to remove or
are bolted firmly etc. By the way, do all the HUs come with a removable
faceplate or are there ones which come with a fixed faceplate - it
doesn't matter to me either way, but just curious.

I would strongly advise you to buy an HU with a removable faceplate. Many years ago, I had a cheap HU securely fixed to a console in my Maruti 800. One fine night thieves entered my garage, removed the front windscreen, removed the console, took it outside & removed & took away the HU. To give them due credit, they left the windscreen propped up on the bonnet & the console under the nearest lamp-post. They touched nothing else in the car. Similar incidents have occurred with numerous friends & relatives & I'm sure other BHPians will have more interesting stories to tell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 452726)
In your budget I suggest you look at the 3-4K variety from JVC or Pioneer and then choose 2 coax+ 2 front speakers + 2 tweeters.

I haven't checked but I thought swift only provided space to install
4 speakers - you have talked about 6 speakers? Do I need 6 or are 4 enough?

Also, I am in Chembur, Mumbai - any recommendations for shops which
sell & install ICE near that place?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nura (Post 452766)
I would strongly advise you to buy an HU with a removable faceplate. Many years ago, I had a cheap HU securely fixed to a console in my Maruti 800. One fine night thieves entered my garage, removed the front windscreen, removed the console, took it outside & removed & took away the HU. To give them due credit, they left the windscreen propped up on the bonnet & the console under the nearest lamp-post. They touched nothing else in the car. Similar incidents have occurred with numerous friends & relatives & I'm sure other BHPians will have more interesting stories to tell.

I have heard various incidents of thieves taking away HUs with detachable
HUs also.

Even if I do get a HU with a detachable faceplate, I doubt if I will have
the patience & memory to detach it will leaving the car & more importantly
remember to get it while leaving home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlather (Post 452728)
It looks Zakaaaaas lol: . Any idea about the cost?

Somewhere around Jan-Feb it was Rs.10950/- with B&W including fitting charges.

Blaupunkt India Numbers: +91-(0)80 - 2299 2820 / 2299 9440 / 2299 9438

Quote:

Originally Posted by low_bass_makker (Post 452665)
get the skoda hu which is removed and sold as it is not liked by many but you....it will cost you in 4-6k range....about speakers you can get co-axials in the front and the back doors....the whole setup will cost you approx 10k + 1k

Another option would be the Fiesta stock HU, which lot of people find very plain, so they change it after buying the car. The Sxi comes with a double DIN system, the Zxi with a single DIN i think. You can look for these also. Should cost similar to the Skoda's (the single DIN).

Quote:

This same headunit (Bahamas MP46) came as original equipment in my Mitsubishi Cedia as well. I can attest that the audio quality is quite good. Infact way better than what I expected from a factory fitted audio system. Its very very neutral sounding with all equalizers and stuff disabled and instrument separation is excellent for the asking price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 452797)
Even if I do get a HU with a detachable faceplate, I doubt if I will have the patience & memory to detach it will leaving the car & more importantly remember to get it while leaving home.

Don't worry. After some time it becomes a conditioned reflex.