Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2022, 15:51   #1
BHPian

How safe is the Android Audio System for your vehicle?

This review is based on my own usage, research, observations that I have done on few android car audio head units. I had worked on design and development of OEM and aftermarket Car Audio Units for almost two years and this enthusiasm made me to explore new technologies on Audio Head Units. I used Mahindra Scorpio S4 and Maruti Suzuki Swift Zxi Type 2 for my experiments on android head units.

Android Audio Head Units are emerging in the market as popularity of the Operating System is already seen in Android phones. Its Linux kernel advantage and the app repository are a boon for its success.

When you consider a new technology in infotainment system for your vehicle, one needs to be utmost careful in selecting a system because this happens to be an integral part of your vehicle and can lead to certain irregularities and malfunctioning of other connected modules. Since the vehicle is a people carrier, safety of occupants and others on the roads needs to be considered, selecting a proper time-tested Audio Head Unit (AHU) will wade away the risk, something new technology on hardware or software can lead to unknown events.

If you have an OEM and want to change a system still for exploring new features or just for fun, my primary recommendation is not to tamper the OEM unless you are equipped with proper information on the system, its pros & cons the side effects and what are the features that can hamper the normal operations of the vehicular platform. If the audio quality offered by OEM AHU is considerably good then sticking to OEM systems will have a peaceful venture between the vehicle and the driver, this is because the OEM AHUs are well tested with all the necessary test cases in all weather, road conditions, speeds, power consumption and load on the battery. If your AHU is connected to the CAN bus, then this system becomes an integral part of the vehicular platform and should not be tempered unless recommended by OEM. This is because the timings on the CAN bus transmission and reception are well calculated and matched in the Physical Layer for the OEM AHU and if any offset in timings in the aftermarket AHU can lead to misinformation or a bus lock-up resulting to malfunction of other modules like Body Control Modules (BCM) etc. A vehicle electrical infotainment system is a cluster of functional modules like BCM, ECU, ABS+EBD, Airbags connected in a network, so any foreign body like a new untested AHU may or may not gel with the existing modules.

Last but not the least, sticking to the OEM Audio Head Unit is having a peaceful approach because OEMs are accountable and responsible for their deliverables and user is not.

Disclaimer: Any un-approved modifications on the vehicle can completely void or limit the warranty and compromise safety. Please ensure the legal concerns before any modifications.

Parameters to consider an Aftermarket AHU:

If OEM does not provide an Audio System.

If the OEM AHU does not have exceptional audio quality that audiophiles look for.

If you have a pre-info on the vehicular platform and can take a risk of a new foreign element (Audio system here).

If you can solve any issue without a Road Assistance when stranded in the middle of your trip if any issue occurs due to newly added AHU.

If your vehicle warranty is not voided or warranty is over ensuring it wont hamper the primary functions of the vehicle.

If physical buttons are present. Touch-screen systems are dangerous, you need to take off your eyes to operate on it.

If you have faith in the installers. Needs a professional installer who uses pin to pin proper coupler OEM adapters, ensure that no wires are cut.

If you are an enthusiast and want to do some R & D.

Pros of Android Audio system:

Adds a fun factor for navigation.

It can be used as a Carputer (Car computer), Internet Browsing on the go or any computation task you can do.

Some have in-build 4G-LTE SIM enabled where you can insert a SIM card for flawless internet connectivity and downloading of maps for navigation.

Feature rich, you can add any application from the Android Play store.

Good for expedition and for those who like to have all information on one screen.

Certain GPS based apps are helpful in detecting the actual speed of the vehicle.

Not all but some Android AHUs have better Audio DACs, almost all Audio CODECs like MP3, MP4, AAC, FLAC (lossless) and a bunch of Video CODECs (for co-passengers, not for driver).

WiFi, Bluetooth connectivity and AUX-In for external Audio Input.

Look and feel of the dashboard is enhanced. Believe me, you get a premium feel too.

Integrate Read-View Camera to the AHU enhances safety.

Since Android is a heavy operating system, Android Go is used as a lightweight OS.

Works best with Steering Wheel Remote buttons and can be programmed according to your needs.

Android AHUs come with inbuilt Flash-ROM storage helps to store your entertainment on the go.

Additional USB ports helps to connect mobile phones for data transfer or to charge only, connect USB sticks or any supported devices.

Some systems come with CAN bus decoder specified for vehicle and can be connected to the vehicle to have the Car Info like engine RPM, Tyre Pressure, In cabin & Outside Atmospheric Temperature etc.

Android & iPhones can be connected using Bluetooth, both works flawlessly.

Cons of Android Audio system:

Most of the Android Systems come with touch interface and no physical knobs or buttons (except few), operations like changing tracks, browsing folders for audio track, one needs to take away your eyes from the sight of the road and look at the screen to operate on touch screen which is dangerous. I found this as a concern myself.

Alternatively, a steering wheel remote minimizes this issue to a certain extent.

Need to pull off the road and stop to operate and enter the map inputs for navigation if only a driver is the occupant.

Android is a heavy OS; it takes time to boot if designed to go into shutdown mode when vehicle ignition key is removed.

Frequent changes and asking a need of updates of existing apps from the Android Play-store consumes time and needs a data connectivity.

Android versions ages at a fast pace when compared to the OEMs or other aftermarket AHUs like Alpine, Pioneer, Blaupunkt which use proprietary OS.

Android AHUs with Hardware are still in development phase and there is a plenty of room for making this stable.

Android uses Linux kernel, a systems-programmers can easily peep in, good for developers but it raises security concerns.

Android OS needs more memory and an optimal of 2GB for Android Go is required. At times, low entrant systems may hang in multitasking or respond with delays. Occasionally, it requires a hard reset.

Unlike Android phones, iPhone users will have limited feature sets when connected to Android AHU.

Current Android AHUs does not have that level of security. This is because if you are using an Android Play store, you need to add your Google account credentials to download and update apps. Anyone sitting inside the car can have access to your emails and other personal data. It happened to be a concern to me when I leave my vehicle for service or hand over at Valet Parking.

However, you can install certain locking apps, but still there are loopholes and cannot be compared with the OEM type of security.

Alternatively, create another Google account only for this purpose as a Workaround ensuring no emails are setup.

Some android systems are designed to go into standby mode only, not into completely shut down mode when ignition key is removed. So, if you park the vehicle for a longer time say for a week or a two, the battery gets drained. My findings on this with a video are discussed in detail in this review.

How Safe is Android AHU:

The Hardware is designed in the similar way as that of other AHUs, but some are slim, light weight with no compromise on audio quality. There are certain imports done from North Eastern countries, which are promisingly offering at a pretty lower price that lures a buyer. I have tried from entry level to high end Android AHUs. Some Android AHUs are having cheap material, if you observe keenly, the mounting screw grooves with threads get ruptured when you start fastening on the vehicle’s front facia. One of my system’s in Scorpio loosened off when I was driving on rough roads. The plastic cabinet to the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) are of inferior quality and the touch screen can be scratched very easily.

Some 9” systems screens had Gorilla glass and were good, touch was found to be good too. The current ones which I fitted on Swift ZXi & Scorpio are having well build and are still serving the purpose, no complaints yet. The one that gave me complaints are no more in the vehicle. I have made few review videos based on my experience; video links are posted for your visuals.

Power perspective:

From the power perspective, I found that the standby current that flows through the Android AHU when ignition key is removed and the vehicle is parked is 10 mA which I found to be negligible for a fully charged battery. The one I tested is the AHU that goes into Standby state and not completely OFF state, this system comes to ON state instantly when Ignition Key is switched ON to Accessories Mode. The AHU that goes into complete shutdown are mostly high-end Android AHUs that sink 1mA of current, but they re-boot every time when ignition key is switched ON. If you have checked the 1-DIN Audio systems, they used to sink 1 – 5 mA in olden days, there are 1-DIN still in use.

As I mentioned earlier, the Android Software & Hardware has room for improvement, there are certain bugs, one such was found by me is a battery draining bug. In my android system installed in Mahindra Scorpio S4, I had my Radio application running and as I removed Ignition Key after I parked and locked the vehicle. The battery was found to be drained post 2 days and the engine was unable to crank, I had to use my jump starter. After some trials I found that the Radio chip was ON and it was not allowing the internal circuitry of the Android System to go into Standby mode. How I found the Radio chip was not turned OFF by the Android System is, first I turned-OFF the Radio from the User Interface and still I heard a feeble Radio channel’s sound from the Sub-Woofer although there was no sound from both component speakers. Secondly, the standby current consumption rose up approximately to be at 400 mA after ignition key was removed and the system’s screen was completely OFF. I re-confirmed the same after I turned ON the Back Lights of the Keys, namely - Power, Home, Back & Volume Keys where they remained lit even after I removed the Ignition Key. This proved that the Radio chip was not allowing the Android motherboard hardware to go into standby state.

Another experiment I did was I replaced the above-mentioned head unit with an upgraded hardware and software. After a thorough check, I parked the Mahindra Scorpio for a month. In a week I used to check and start the engine for few minutes for oil circulation of the diesel engine. I behaved well. Approximately after a month, the Scorpio did not start and I had to jump start it. The battery is new and with the same battery, Scorpio starts effortlessly even after 3 months of long storage with a branded JVC or Alpine Audio Head Unit installed. I removed the android system for the debug and found out that the system in standby mode consumes a current of 10mA from the battery, which means a power of 120 to140mW is consumed when the vehicle was parked. Below is the video that explains the issue in detail and a workaround to solve this battery draining issue.

Android Audio Systems found unsafe for vehicles, here is the workaround

Verdict:

If you would like to use an Android system for your vehicle, you need to select the AHU from reputed manufacturers like Blaupunkt (Key Largo series), Pioneer, Nippon and Maisun. However, these systems are stable and costs much. If still you want to use a lower cost budget system, be prepared for risks and it is suggested to keep a fully charged Jump starter in your vehicle in case of any untrodden battery drain events happen. The Maisun Android Audio system is found to be a phenomenal among all as the Audio reproduction quality is at Hi-Fidelity and excels in all even in power saving when vehicle is turned OFF completely. I personally own a Maisun in my Suzuki Swift ZXi, you can watch the video in the last link below.

The one thing I did not like about Android Car Audio systems is the apps updates that it needs frequently, which is time consuming and connect to WiFi every time for faster updates and installs. If you already have an OEM touch screen with Navigation that is the best and always will be my first preference considering the safety, quality and here the OEM is responsible to bring that to you. The systems that I tried below in the videos are where there was no touch screen nor a navigation unit, hence it is my passion to bring what I did on my vehicles.

Video links of the Android systems that I reviewed:

How safe is the Android Audio System for your vehicle

Android Audio System Rebuild after Touch Panel Failure

Entry level Android Audio System 7” | Scratch test

Entry Level Android Audio System - Unboxed with Mahindra Scorpio Panel

Cons and workaround for low cost android audio system for Mahindra Scorpio

Android Audio System for Mahindra Scorpio

Higher End Android Audio System Unboxing - Green Heavy Series from Hypersonic

Premium Android Car Audio System for Suzuki Swift from Maisun

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 2nd September 2022 at 21:15.
yogeshnaik is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 07:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: How safe is the Android Audio System for your vehicle?

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 09:38   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
This review is based on my own usage, research, observations that I have done on few android car audio head units.
Thank you for this comprehensive review! Great work!

Having used an Android Headunit on my Maruti SX4 for more than 7 years now (since 2015), I can relate to most of the points you mentioned, and in general agree with your overall assessment.

However, based on my usage and experience over these years, I would say some of the cons are easily addressed. Either those are not real cons or not really specific to Android HUs.

Quote:
Cons of Android Audio system:

Most of the Android Systems come with touch interface and no physical knobs or buttons (except few), operations like changing tracks, browsing folders for audio track, one needs to take away your eyes from the sight of the road and look at the screen to operate on touch screen which is dangerous. I found this as a concern myself.
Agreed. But unfortunately, this is not specific to Android HUs. In fact, many modern cars are coming with such touch controls even for ACs, even in their stock systems. So this is a wider concern (well documented and discussed on this forum) and not specific to Android.

Further, this can be easily mitigated by: 1. Choosing the Android HU with physical controls (I have one of that type with nice rotating buttons for all major functions) and/or 2: Using steering controls. Yes, my OEM steering buttons work very well with the Android HU. In fact, better than OEM settings because in the Android HU, I can program the buttons to whichever function I choose.

Quote:
Alternatively, a steering wheel remote minimizes this issue to a certain extent.
Correct! Or just program the original steering wheel buttons to work with Android HU as I mentioned. Almost all Android HUs offer this ability.

Quote:
Need to pull off the road and stop to operate and enter the map inputs for navigation if only a driver is the occupant.
I think this has nothing to do with Android. This would be required for any navigation system, including OEM nabigation systems and Apple Carplay system.

Quote:
Android is a heavy OS; it takes time to boot if designed to go into shutdown mode when vehicle ignition key is removed.
The time to boot is about 30 seconds, which I never found to be a problem. It takes me that much or more time to put the car in 1st gear and crawl out of my parking space. Further, thankfully, the reverse camera works even before the system fully boots up! This is the most critical feature, and I can use reverse camera within a few seconds of starting the car, not waiting for the system to boot up. So while in theory booting time sounds like a concern, in my usage of more than 7 years, I never ever found this to be a practical concern.

Quote:
Frequent changes and asking a need of updates of existing apps from the Android Play-store consumes time and needs a data connectivity.
Again, this can be easily disabled. I use only Google Maps as the "app" on this, and you could disable auto updates and do updates once a while when you prefer. Even the OEM navigation maps require updates, and they are typically updated once in a rare while during service etc. One can take the same approach to Android HU and there is no problem at all.

Quote:
Android versions ages at a fast pace when compared to the OEMs or other aftermarket AHUs like Alpine, Pioneer, Blaupunkt which use proprietary OS.
Agreed. But ages fast means what? It just means there are frequent new versions. But you could happily stay with the old version as long as it works for you. I have an ancient version of Android on my HU, and I do not have any problems. In fact, the OEM system in my 2017 BMW is still not that much better than the stock Android of 2015. If I can stay with OEM stock OS in the OEM HU for a decade, why make a big deal of Android OS updates?

Quote:
Android AHUs with Hardware are still in development phase and there is a plenty of room for making this stable.
Again, I understand this statement from a theoretical point of view. I fully know what you mean and agree with your point. However, in practice, this is never ever shown any problem to me. The system just works flawlessly every day. And if there are some users facing occasional issues, I am not sure if numbers those are statistically more than people facing occasional issues with OEM HUs too. So I am not sure how this statement affects users in practice.

Quote:
Android uses Linux kernel, a systems-programmers can easily peep in, good for developers but it raises security concerns.

Alternatively, create another Google account only for this purpose as a Workaround ensuring no emails are setup.
Agree with security concerns. I have disabled most Google Apps (like Gmail) from the HU. I cleared all data and all cache from those apps, and then disabled it. I know this is not a great solution but better than leaving the apps there in open state. I primarily use only Google Maps on the HU. However, recently, I just removed my Google Account completely from this device, and the maps still work fine (just without location history etc) by simply connecting to the internet without Google Account.

Or one could use a different account as you said.

Again, I agree with your general review, but just wanted to share my experience with some of the cons.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 3rd September 2022 at 09:40.
Dr.AD is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 10:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Thank you for this comprehensive review! Great work!

Having used an Android Headunit on my Maruti SX4 for more than 7 years now (since 2015), I can relate to most of the points you mentioned, and in general agree with your overall assessment.

However, based on my usage and experience over these years, I would say some of the cons are easily addressed. Either those are not real cons or not really specific to Android HUs.
Hi Dr.AD, I am glad to see your quotes and reply. In my Scorpio S4 2014 model, where I do not not have any steering mounts, I mitigated it with the below additional wireless steering control buttons, not like OEM but very useful. Below are details in my own words on the self installation and usage in the video.

Also, in the high end super premium android systems that I purchased it for my Suzuki Swift ZXi 2016 model, it has rotary knobs and buttons and the OEM's steering mounted all the buttons do work and can be mapped to my requirements.

It is from Maisun and is phenomenal with features with great Audio quality, with effective Equalizers, 4G LTE SIM slot, 2 USB and Aux ports. I am very happy with its all features and was a proper match to my Harman Kardon OEM's 6 speakers. Here are the details in the below video in my own words:

yogeshnaik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 13:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wow this is a lot of research and information. Thanks for this.
While I agree with most of the points here, I have been using an Android system (10”) with 4/64 GB since 2 years and I am very happy with the overall performance. There is no lag to start up, immediately gets switched on with the ignition. Also never experienced any lag. My system is not from any mainstream brands, but an in-house (imported) from one of the reputed installers.
Longevity and how well this will age needs to be seen though. But overall I am super happy with the set up, though it costed me in the range of 40 to 50k.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 14:16   #6
BHPian

These generic HU have a setting to configure full shutdown timeout. By default it is set to never, but one can change it. Will try to find the menu and post it here for reference.
Old 3rd September 2022, 19:49   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
These generic HU have a setting to configure full shutdown timeout. By default it is set to never, but one can change it. Will try to find the menu and post it here for reference.
True that the shutdown timeout is a configurable option. However, are you sure that there is an option for "never"? That would be disastrous because that is almost sure to drain the battery.

In my HU, there is a max limit of 2 hours for complete shutdown. I can configure it to values lower than 2 hours if I want, but not more than 2 hours. That is to ensure there is no battery drain. I have kept this value of shutdown timer to 10 minutes.

See the screenshot below for this option. The max option is 2 hours (if I scroll below of what the screen shows here). There is no "never" option.

How safe is the Android Audio System for your vehicle?-20220903_145706.jpg
Old 3rd September 2022, 22:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
Verdict:
If you would like to use an Android system for your vehicle, you need to select the AHU from reputed manufacturers like Blaupunkt (Key Largo series), Pioneer, Nippon and Maisun. However, these systems are stable and costs much.
Please do not get me wrong - but in the interest of potential buyers - Blaupunkt (Key Largo series) is nothing more than a Chinese rebranded kit. And this seems to be the first recommended one on your list - please work with Moderators to get your claim/recommendation corrected.

How safe is the Android Audio System for your vehicle?-blaupunkt01.png

The Android version they sell is fake and lower than advertised and the internal model (alps) also matches with the models mentioned in Chinese models such as Hypersonic and Foxfire etc.

How safe is the Android Audio System for your vehicle?-alps.png

Name:  BP02.png
Views: 2072
Size:  6.6 KB

Source: Link

The original Blaupunkt filed for bankruptcy in 2015 after which the brand name is up for grabs by anyone who pays a fee to use the name.

Refer posts here as well > (Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit)

Would recommend folks to view this video on how to protect against fraud while buying Android Head Units:

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 3rd September 2022 at 22:54.
vsrivatsa is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 20:56   #9
BHPian

I installed a Drivn AHU in my Tata Zest yesterday since my Harman went kaput. Today I was stranded on the road for 2hrs along with wife. Issues:

1. On turning the ignition key, the meters swiped but then died. The RSA guy attached a jump cable and then it stopped swiping and dying, Finally there was sufficient charge for the engine to crank.

2. AC was fluctuating before this incident and cooling was reduced. I was asked to not switch on the AC by the RSA guy when he managed to start the car.

3. Engine high rpm continuously when no inputs are provided.

4. The cabin light keep flickering and headlight is dim

5. ABS indicator was flickering on the dashboard.

6. When I moved the car the steering was locking, but finally it moved. Still am finding the steering weird.

Monday the market where I installed the AHU is closed, the guy assured me the issue is different blah, blah and he will fix it on Tuesday. The battery is bound to drain out and i will need to jumpstart. I did not find any option on the system to shut it down.

What might be the issue. I am planning to just return the AHU and cut my losses with whatever money I get in return.

Last edited by SidharthaN : 4th September 2022 at 21:23.
SidharthaN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 11:05   #10
BHPian

My friend bought a 2nd hand Nissan Micra with factory fitted OEM system. All was good during purchase. Later he wanted to add a reverse parking system. The shop made him to purchase an android system worth 12k with in-build reverse camera facility. He removed the OEM system. Now the issue is battery is getting drained again and again. Finally he had to remove the set and put back the old OEM system. Every thing is back as expected, no issue.
arin_12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 12:29   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently installed Blaupunkt Key Largo 980. What I noticed was that if I use the car every day, the system starts up instantaneously. So it seems to be in a sleep mode. In case I don't use the car for a few days (recently did not use it for a week), the system seems to have powered off and goes through the full startup cycle.

So looks like beyond a point, it goes into full shutdown from sleep mode, which seems to be good. Hope it does not start misbehaving.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 16:27   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
My friend bought a 2nd hand Nissan Micra with factory fitted OEM system. All was good during purchase. Later he wanted to add a reverse parking system. The shop made him to purchase an android system worth 12k with in-build reverse camera facility. He removed the OEM system. Now the issue is battery is getting drained again and again. Finally he had to remove the set and put back the old OEM system. Every thing is back as expected, no issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidharthaN View Post
I installed a Drivn AHU in my Tata Zest yesterday since my Harman went kaput. Today I was stranded on the road for 2hrs along with wife. Issues:

1. On turning the ignition key, the meters swiped but then died. The RSA guy attached a jump cable and then it stopped swiping and dying, Finally there was sufficient charge for the engine to crank.
What might be the issue. I am planning to just return the AHU and cut my losses with whatever money I get in return.
Hi arin_12, SidharthaN,

That is true for most of the unbranded entry level products, to mitigate this you can install a delayed relay or a manual switch to ON/OFF the Android system so that the standby current does not flow into the system draining the battery. Once you park the car for a longer time you can switch it OFF manually. I did it on my Scorpio as it is a system that costs 8-12K INR depending on the importer, workaround detail is there in my above mail thread, added the link below for easy navigation. It happened with me twice and I have mentioned this issue and also a workaround to this.

If your android system has an option for a complete shutdown timer with 0-2 hours max when ignition key is OFF, then this is the best option. Hope this helps.

Cons and workaround for low cost android audio system for Mahindra Scorpio

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 5th September 2022 at 16:39.
Old 5th September 2022, 16:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I recently installed Blaupunkt Key Largo 980. What I noticed was that if I use the car every day, the system starts up instantaneously. So it seems to be in a sleep mode. In case I don't use the car for a few days (recently did not use it for a week), the system seems to have powered off and goes through the full startup cycle.

So looks like beyond a point, it goes into full shutdown from sleep mode, which seems to be good. Hope it does not start misbehaving.
This is a very important update and experience that you have shared to the community. The system is behaving as per the specifications for Blaupunkt Key Largo.

Blaupunkt Key Largo 980 series is an advancement over 970 series and these are branded ones with features and behavioral specs are provided by the owner who is owning that product under the name Blaupunkt. They provide warranty as well. All these units are made in China, that does not mean that they are equivalent or compared to the unbranded models. Blaupunkt branded systems have better controller and audio chipsets in their systems but there are instances of less support, Android version mismatch etc., not rectified. Also, I have a top end Android Maisun imported who makes custom android systems for premium segment vehicles too and the factory is in China.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 5th September 2022 at 16:52.
yogeshnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 17:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Please do not get me wrong - but in the interest of potential buyers - Blaupunkt (Key Largo series) is nothing more than a Chinese rebranded kit. And this seems to be the first recommended one on your list - please work with Moderators to get your claim/recommendation corrected.
Hi vsrivatsa,

Thanks for sharing the feedback. One of our 4 wheeler's group used the Blaupunkt Key Largo series 970 in 2021 and also 980 this year in 2022. Most of the Android systems factories are located in China and they manufacture these based on their Product Requests (PRQs) provided by the owners who own that brand for that time.

Looking at the models one will find these systems look similar, that does not mean that they have the same internals as that of an model 8-12K system sold in different names with standard UI ROMs but the actual difference is seen in the Audio quality, controller & GPU performance.

For example, I also owned Hypersonic and other systems, I changed these from my vehicle within a month as the DSPs and the equalizers were masking the Audio frequencies when I try to increase a Band and rest all the bands were getting affected which is called as masking effect in Audio. This does not happen in Blaupunkt or Maisun. This depends on the hardware silicon that is used in the system viz., Audio pre and power amplifiers and DSP chip used for FIR filters etc. There are plenty of non-visible of differences like some use software equalization and no hardware. OEM provided updates for MCU & System for the Blaupunkt.

Also, in the unbranded systems if you see the quality of the mechanicals of the systems where it gets mounted will have cracks after you moderately fasten the bolts. Whereas in Blaupunkt and other higher brands this is never seen. Blaupunkt products do come with warranty that implies that the importer/manufacturer is responsible and accountable for that product.

I have pasted photos of 2 systems that I had observed with lower quality hardware used not in comparison but to show that lower price models have their compromise on the quality. The last photo is of a similar system that I had, whose groove ruptured with moderate fastening of the mounting screw, this system looked the same to that of Blaupunkt whereas the Blaupunkt system hardware is built with better quality.
Attached Thumbnails
How safe is the Android Audio System for your vehicle?-img20200127013500.jpg  

How safe is the Android Audio System for your vehicle?-img20200127013513.jpg  

How safe is the Android Audio System for your vehicle?-img20200127013544.jpg  

How safe is the Android Audio System for your vehicle?-img20200127013556.jpg  

How safe is the Android Audio System for your vehicle?-system_mech.png  

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 5th September 2022 at 17:50.
yogeshnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 22:22   #15
BHPian

This appeared in the Google specific website today:

It took literally seconds to install this, too. The included windshield mount turned out to be perfect in my wife’s car, but you could also use this as a dash mount or get creative with some DIY placement and other mounting options. This is effectively just a little tablet that runs Android Auto.

Admittedly, this isn’t the best-looking setup out there. The “IYING” device I picked up for her was one of the only options available earlier this year, and it doesn’t exactly have the best design. It’s very simple, but it works. The two cables hanging down slightly add to the not-so-great look, but they aren’t any worse than a charging cable you’d use to keep a smartphone juiced up while running Google Maps up on a dashboard mount.

https://9to5google.com/2022/09/23/an...-add-unit-car/

Is this or an equivalent available in India?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks