Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2022, 17:03   #1
BHPian

Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5

I confess this action was inspired by the upgrade done by Dinu2506 on his beautiful red Audi A4. I own a 2015 Audi Q5 and have been on the lookout for a good upgrade option for pretty much the same reasons. I had taken a test drive of the 2021 Q5 and found that, substantively, it was only the infotainment system, based on a ‘floating’ 10” screen that was different from my 2015 Q5 (and the diesel engine). The floating screen actually seemed a little after-marketish. But it had quality finish and therefore fit in quite nicely. This had me salivating. One of the key reasons that had held me back in the past was my desire not to compromise on the original quality 'feel' of the cabin. The new model got me seriously thinking. One of my friends had got an aftermarket screen installed on his Toyota Fortuner and it looked pretty OK. But I was still a bit skeptical on the quality. The finish and specs of the screens i had seen were not impressive. That is till I chanced upon this Chinese website selling complete upgrades to radio heads for most popular cars including Audi. The specs were appealing, compelling even and after a bit of research i was sold. so I decided to import the head and have it installed locally in NCR. The pics below tell the rest of the story. The upgrade looks pretty cool. Though the aftermarket look is undeniable, its not too different from the new 2021 Audi. In addition to the usual benefits of Android Auto, touch screen, navigation, reversing camera etc, the screen also has a slot for a dedicated Sim card as well as a micro SD card. The advantage of the memory card is that additional apps you may download can be stored on the card without slowing down the main screen. A by-product has been an upgrade to sound quality as the system includes a better DAC. Furthermore, the screen is now placed higher up and closer to eye level.

The pic below is of my original Audi Q5 dashboard.
Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-audi-original-dash.jpg

Picture below is of the new Audi Q5 2021 dashboard.
Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-audi-q5-40-tdi-review-pictures3.jpg

And this is how my dashboard looks after the change.
Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-img_20220123_124539__01.jpg

Some pics below showing the specs and features of the Chinese head unit.
Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-specs-b.jpg
Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-plug-play.jpg
Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-anti-glare-screen.jpg
A 12.2” Full HD Touch Screen (1920*720 pixels). The touch feature is well implemented and feels similar to my mobile phone. The screen remains bright and clear during day with panoramic sunroof screen pulled back (brightness at 100%). The finger smudge issue remains and the screen starts to look messy by the end of a long drive. However, 30 seconds with a clean microfiber cloth does the job.

Pictures below show close ups of the functions

The home screen
Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-img_20220123_124636__01.jpg

Google maps navigation. Currently i am using Android Auto through my mobile hotspot.
Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-img_20220123_124724__01.jpg

Spotify
Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-img_20220123_124904__01.jpg

The reversing camera
Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-img_20220123_125107__01.jpg
The observant would have noticed that the reversing lines are not properly aligned. This is because the camera is installed a little to the left of center. I am trying to have this issue resolved by having the camera shifted closer to the center of the car. This is a common problem as the center of the Q5, at the back, houses the boot opening latch.

Another little issue has been the control strip which fits into the center console air slot. The one that arrived with the system turned out to be designed for a left hand drive car. I’m in correspondence with the seller and expect to resolve this in due course. Surprisingly, it fit quite snugly into the slot. But a close look clearly reveals the miss-match.
Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-img_20211226_154525.jpg

Over all I’m satisfied with the upgrade. The car feels as good (ok nearly so) as the 2021 model.
Inder7 is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 10:13   #2
BHPian

Re: Installed an aftermarket infotainment head & screen on my 2015 Audi Q5

Ok even though this is aftermarket screen it looks a lot better than the 2021 Q5 one (personal opinion, no offense to Q5 2021 owners). I really like this head unit and it does feel premium. I have few questions, can you please provide below details
  • Which website you used to purchase this unit?
  • Cost breakdown? Original unit price plus any import tax paid?
  • Installation charges?
  • How did you get the head unit bracket?
  • Did you verify the specs using CPU-Z app? If not please do immediately and confirm.

My only concern is such a massive 12.2" screen having a 720P display. Did you notice any pixels issue? I used to have a 720P Sony smartphone and the pixels were very much visible.

Also is there anyway you can change the UI? It does look aftermarket-ish. Does it have any option to download other UI's or launchers?

I am also looking for something similar for my Compass. I am not finding any websites which are currently delivering to India.

Last edited by ramnaresh_2000 : 24th January 2022 at 10:15.
Old 24th January 2022, 10:37   #3

Re: Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5

This is a general opinion:
The only problem I find with these aftermarket upgrades is that the brands never match the original screen quality and the black levels of OEM , the graphics usually turn out choppy due to low FPS , and usually specs on these units are very good on paper as in they claim android auto and apple CarPlay compatibility and google maps but I doubt if the processing power of these units would be fast enough to perform simple activities eg.calibrating the GPS at the beginning of a set navigation , the latency in updating location , ability to reroute with good speed . how refined and perfected each of the feature would turn out is still a doubt . In my opinion , upgrades like this are truly worth only if the quality of the display and software is on par or better than OEM , otherwise it’s better choice to just stick with OEM stock infotainment . I’d compare the experience of a bad aftermarket head unit like owning an iPhone but with a knockoff screen replacement . I don’t mean to say all of these are bad , but most of the aftermarket upgrade units on the market turn out a constant itch with the user experience in long term .we generally get attracted to features list than the actual interface and user friendliness.
superfitcs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 11:04   #4
BHPian

Re: Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inder7 View Post

The finger smudge issue remains and the screen starts to look messy by the end of a long drive. However, 30 seconds with a clean microfiber cloth does the job.

A matte screenguard might help, though it may reduce the quality of display slightly.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0834NKX5M/...184F59T85BNA7P
maheshm619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 12:00   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on the upgrade, it really looks good! I am thinking of same on my Audi Q5 2.0T.
I assume your Q5 is not technology version. Right?

How is the sound quality? Did you have an extra AMI port in glove box or just the Aux input?
The reason I am asking is because through the AUX directly, as in my case where there is no AMI port, analog to digital conversion leads to deterioration in sound quality.

Also, does your unit have inbuilt SIM option so that mobile hotspot is not needed?
Again, enjoy the nice upgrade and thanks.
Old 24th January 2022, 12:36   #6
BHPian

How is the integration with the original steering wheel controls?

I got a woodman system installed in my Verna a few months back and the only issue I am facing is that the steering wheel control is a bit wonky. Works only like 60% of the time. Randomly stops working and then starts on its own. Given I don't really use the controls much except to pause at times I haven't really gotten around to debugging it.
Old 24th January 2022, 12:50   #7
BHPian

Re: Installed an aftermarket infotainment head & screen on my 2015 Audi Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post

My only concern is such a massive 12.2" screen having a 720P display. Did you notice any pixels issue? I used to have a 720P Sony smartphone and the pixels were very much visible.
At that viewing distance I do not think that pixels will be visible. A 12 inch screen 3-4 feet away from you means that you won't be able to understand the difference between 720p and 1080p unless you compare them side by side and actively Iook for it. Especially since you do not read large amounts of text on it unlike a smartphone.

Only the person who has to live with it can tell us the reality though!

Megapixels, resolutions, number of cameras on a phone, etc most of these have become just numbers to Trump other manufacturers rather than offering any benefits to consumers.
Attached Thumbnails
Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-screenshot_20220124124237_chrome.jpg  

sauravpat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 13:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
  • Which website you used to purchase this unit?
  • Cost breakdown? Original unit price plus any import tax paid?
  • Installation charges?
  • How did you get the head unit bracket?
  • Did you verify the specs using CPU-Z app? If not please do immediately and confirm.
1.I bought this from - https://www.belsee.com/
2.You will get this information on the website.
3.Approx 3000k
4.All brackets, attachments, adaptors are provided in the box and are of excellent quality. All plug and play.
5.Yes and I confirm they are as displayed on the website. Remember you pay through PayPal. PayPal gives you a six month period to come back with any issue and your money will be refunded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfitcs View Post
This is a general opinion:
The only problem I find with these aftermarket upgrades is that the brands never match the original screen quality and the black levels of OEM ... .
If you read the first paragraph of my post carefully you will find that I was entirely of the same opinion. I have had the car for over 5 years and the new screen for over a month now. The new screen is of excellent quality and fits into the Audi cabin like it was OEM designed. And that's saying a lot. In fact the sole purpose of putting up this post was to let those owning high end cars know that their is longer any need to hesitate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
Congratulations on the upgrade, it really looks good! I am thinking of same on my Audi Q5 2.0T.
I assume your Q5 is not technology version. Right?

How is the sound quality? Did you have an extra AMI port in glove box or just the Aux input?
The reason I am asking is because through the AUX directly, as in my case where there is no AMI port, analog to digital conversion leads to deterioration in sound quality.

Also, does your unit have inbuilt SIM option so that mobile hotspot is not needed?
Again, enjoy the nice upgrade and thanks.
Thanks a lot for the post.

Yes my car has a AMI port and I have been using an aftermarket DAC in the glove box for many years now as the stock sound quality was ordinary. Since the new system has a DAC built in I have removed it. The sound quality is now good. Its not as good as the new 2021 model with B&O, 19 speaker system though .

Yes the new head unit has slot for a dedicated SIM card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
How is the integration with the original steering wheel controls?
This is something i was worried about. But the system works like a charm. All original car controls including those on the steering are fully functional. The reverse parking guide lines work through steering movement.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th January 2022 at 20:17. Reason: Back to back posts - see mod note
Inder7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 15:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Over all I’m satisfied with the upgrade. The car feels as good (ok nearly so) as the 2021 model.
This is definitely interesting. As it solves the problem of people who like oem User Interface of their infotainment system but want a better resolution display, better touch responsive or android auto/apple carplay.

I had a few queries,
1. Does the package arrive from China?
2. Did you face any issues with delivery?
3. How much were you charged for clearing customs duty?
Old 24th January 2022, 17:09   #10
BHPian

Looking to get something like this for my F10 as well. How did you manage to import it though? No issues with customs?

Checked the local car shops and they're asking for 75k for the unit and installation which sounds rather steep.
Old 24th January 2022, 19:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atharva4545 View Post

I had a few queries,
1. Does the package arrive from China?
2. Did you face any issues with delivery?
3. How much were you charged for clearing customs duty?
1. Yes. The assembly unit of this seller (Belsee) is in Shenzen, China. From Shenzen a local chinese courier carries it to Hong Kong, from where the shipment is handed over to an international courier like DHL or Aramex. The courier will get the shipment cleared by the customs. You will get a receipt and the money will be collected from you on delivery.
2. No
3. These are pretty standard rates and charged on invoice value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtottuu View Post

Checked the local car shops and they're asking for 75k for the unit and installation which sounds rather steep.
Yes, a guy in Delhi (Automarc, Moolchand market) told me he would have done it in 65K. You should save 30-40% if you do it on your own.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th January 2022 at 20:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 24th January 2022, 20:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I confess this action was inspired by the upgrade done by Dinu2506 on his beautiful red Audi A4.

Google maps navigation. Currently i am using Android Auto through my mobile hotspot.
Attachment 2263896
Congratulations, great to know that my post inspired you to go ahead with the upgrade.
Quick question - you said you use your mobile hotspot for your data. Does this mean you have to switch on hotspot every time you need to use Google maps, Spotify etc? Does it not use the data when the phone is connected with the unit through the Android Auto cable?
Old 24th January 2022, 21:58   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post

Quick question - you said you use your mobile hotspot for your data. Does this mean you have to switch on hotspot every time you need to use Google maps, Spotify etc? Does it not use the data when the phone is connected with the unit through the Android Auto cable?
Android Auto needs internet connectivity to work. This can be provided either through physically tethering the phone to the car head or, as in my case, its a wireless solution. The wireless works in two ways. 1. Use hot spot on your mobile or 2. Use the SIM slot provided in the system - mob comes into play only while receiving or making calls.
Inder7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 22:35   #14
BHPian

A couple of noob questions:
With many of the car's functions controlled with the built in MMI System, how do they work now?
Is there any function of the car that you are unable to use after the update?
How does the area behind the screen look? What goes into the slot where the old screen was located?
Old 25th January 2022, 12:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Android Auto needs internet connectivity to work. This can be provided either through physically tethering the phone to the car head or, as in my case, its a wireless solution. The wireless works in two ways. 1. Use hot spot on your mobile or 2. Use the SIM slot provided in the system - mob comes into play only while receiving or making calls.
Ok, so as I understand, if you physically connect the phone to the head you don't need to use the hotspot.
Also, if it is iphone, does wireless Apple Carplay take care of the internet need as well, or do you have to switch on hotspot? In my case I connect my iphone wirelessly to Apple Carplay but I don't need to switch on hotspot

Last edited by dinu2506 : 25th January 2022 at 12:40.

Most Viewed