Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2022, 12:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by umohan98 View Post
A couple of noob questions:
With many of the car's functions controlled with the built in MMI System, how do they work now?
Is there any function of the car that you are unable to use after the update?
How does the area behind the screen look? What goes into the slot where the old screen was located?
These units are dedicated to cars and models with plug and play installation so almost all features work including steering controls and the like. In my case, the one feature I lost was the ability to pair and connect multiple phones. It is just one or the other
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 13:43   #17
BHPian

Re: Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inder7 View Post
These are pretty standard rates and charged on invoice value.
Not to be indelicate but could you PM me how much it cost, including the unit, delivery, and duties? I haven't imported anything from China since 2018 and don't want to be caught, well, with my pants down on this. And they do cash on delivery too? Sounds swell!
Old 25th January 2022, 22:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtottuu View Post
Not to be indelicate but could you PM me how much it cost, including the unit, delivery, and duties? I haven't imported anything from China since 2018 and don't want to be caught, well, with my pants down on this. And they do cash on delivery too? Sounds swell!
The cost of products are mentioned on the site and customs duty is approx 18-20%. You could also write to them through email - 'belseetek@gmail.com'. Ask all your queries, no matter how basic. Their responses are quick and detailed.

You are welcome to connect through personal message.

The cash on delivery is only for the customs duty part. Cost of radio head has to be paid up front. Like i said in one my earlier messages, the site allows payment through PayPal and that makes it pretty safe. Please visit the PayPal website to understand the process and safety net.
Inder7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 23:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Ok, so as I understand, if you physically connect the phone to the head you don't need to use the hotspot.
Also, if it is iphone, does wireless Apple Carplay take care of the internet need as well, or do you have to switch on hotspot? In my case I connect my iphone wirelessly to Apple Carplay but I don't need to switch on hotspot
I am an android guy and not familiar with the iphone world. Its possible that Apple Car play automatically initiates the hotspot connection or you may have given that permission during the set up process.
Inder7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 23:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Ok, so as I understand, if you physically connect the phone to the head you don't need to use the hotspot.
Also, if it is iphone, does wireless Apple Carplay take care of the internet need as well, or do you have to switch on hotspot? In my case I connect my iphone wirelessly to Apple Carplay but I don't need to switch on hotspot
With limited knowledge, I will try to explain

If you are using your Apple Carplay interface to access apps like Spotify, Maps etc. you do not need to switch on hotspot. Connecting to wired / wireless car play will allow you to use the apps as the screen is only an interface and actual app functioning is in your mobile.
However android auto also allows you to download apps to the system. So if you want to play spotify or any other apps directly in the android auto, you need to provide a wifi for the system which is done through hotspot wifi.
In my android head unit, it has a provision for SIM and it provides the internet and hence hotspot not required.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 19:03   #21
BHPian

Very informative post. I was searching for a head unit replacement for my Audi, when I chanced on this post. I browsed through the links provided here and then went through some more Chinese sites, whereupon I found on a seller giving a 7 inch screen which looks like a perfect replacement for an OEM fit and finish. They also offer a reverse camera that replaces the number plate light in the rear and so does away with the problem of improper alignment of reversing lines mentioned here. I have placed an order today, and will update you when I get the package and install it on my car.
The links are
Head unit
https://www.dvdgpsnav.com/1024-600-h...ores-16gb.html
Reverse camera
https://www.dvdgpsnav.com/reverse-ca...-a4-a5-a7.html

Last edited by brainscooper : 11th June 2022 at 19:05.
brainscooper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 17:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainscooper View Post
Very informative post. I was searching for a head unit replacement for my Audi, when I chanced on this post. I browsed through the links provided here and then went through some more Chinese sites, whereupon I found on a seller giving a 7 inch screen which looks like a perfect replacement for an OEM fit and finish. They also offer a reverse camera that replaces the number plate light in the rear and so does away with the problem of improper alignment of reversing lines mentioned here. I have placed an order today, and will update you when I get the package and install it on my car.
The links are
Head unit
Reverse camera
Hey @brainscooper

I own a Audi A4 B8.5, is the this head unit compatible with my car also where did you plan on installing the system
Old 4th July 2022, 18:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
Hey @brainscooper

I own a Audi A4 B8.5, is the this head unit compatible with my car also where did you plan on installing the system
Better get the headunit from Hypersonic , all things work in their android headunit and it would be canbus compatible as well. There units have been very reliable, fast , very responsive so try hypersonic and would be much cheaper as well.
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 18:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
Hey @brainscooper

Hi,
I'm not sure whether the same model fits your car. The best thing to do is to take photos of the dashboard, showing the current head unit, hazard light and the area below it up to the gear selector and the control switches after it. Send the pictures to sales@dvdgpsnav.com and they will get back to you within a day.

The installation is not too complicated and detailed instructions are available here
https://www.dvdgpsnav.com/blog/profe...radio-upgrade/
Old 17th July 2022, 12:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainscooper View Post
The links are
Head unit
Reverse camera
Finally got the system installed yesterday. As you can see from the pictures, the head unit just replaces the original screen in the car and therefore appears very OEM. It is actually a 7 inch screen, as opposed to the 6.2 inch one that comes with the car, and hence the plastic insert around it has to be replaced with a new one, which is included in the package. The interface contains an Audi symbol, and clicking on it takes you to the default screen that came with the car, and all the functions such as radio, setup etc work by using the buttons as earlier. The steering wheel controls also work.

Google Maps was pre-installed, but as it needs net connectivity to work, which has to be supplied form your phone via a wireless hotspot, I also installed Sygic and downloaded maps on to it.

The new reverse camera went into the slot for one of the number plate lights, and it works perfectly with good alignment of the lines on the screen. There are LEDs alongside the camera, so that the number plate is still well illuminated. An additional relay had to be installed with the camera, as the pictures were not being shown properly, and there were horizontal scanning lines on the screen, after the initial installation. Apparently, a relay is needed in most luxury vehicles.

Since the hazard light and air bag indicator were disconnected for installation of the new screen, I got an air bag error light on the dashboard after installation. We had to take to car to an electrical shop, where the warning light was reset via the OBD2 port.
Attached Thumbnails
Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-20220717_094814.jpg  

Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-20220717_094834.jpg  

Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-20220717_095029.jpg  

Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-20220717_095112.jpg  

Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-20220717_095053.jpg  

Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-20220716_151418.jpg  

Installed: Aftermarket infotainment head-unit with Android Auto in my 2015 Audi Q5-20220717_095321.jpg  

Old 17th September 2022, 20:12   #26

I have Audi A3, 2017-19 facelift version. Although it has a MMI screen but no Android Auto or Apple carplay, which really bugs me coz 10 lakh cars these days have this basic feature.

Is there a similar solution for A3. I have searched for some retrofits like was done with A4, but wanted to know is there a software fix which can unlock or install Android Auto?

My car is also in warranty, so going for a retrofit, will it void my warranty? Should I wait for warranty to get over.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks