Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2007, 15:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

That was more than enough... I am not going to do any more research on this! Thanks for the links anyway.
Old 7th June 2007, 15:43   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
is the Glass Antenna really effective for FM/AM receptions[/b] OR [i]is it just for the snobbishness?
My VW Jetta had a glass antenna and it worked perfectly fine.
Old 7th June 2007, 21:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Can I replace the original antenna on the RS with a Shark Fin type ? Something like whats here . Will it work flawlessly ?
Old 8th June 2007, 00:03   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Guys,

Can I replace the original antenna on the RS with a Shark Fin type ? Something like whats here . Will it work flawlessly ?
The wire from your HU to the shark fin antenna will be enough in city, you do not need it. And it wont add much to the signal too. So get it if you want looks, you wont notice whether it works or not in the city
Old 8th June 2007, 07:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer,

Wasnt thinking of the dummy one. Am planning to get a real one that actually is an antenna.
Old 8th June 2007, 10:26   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Tanveer,

Wasnt thinking of the dummy one. Am planning to get a real one that actually is an antenna.
You can't beat physics you see. If you plan to have one for Bombay city listening, a piece of wire will do fine, but for long distance FM(50kms away from city) you need to either have those huge motorized things, or stick a dipole antenna(very ugly) to your windshield.
I think with your current setup you would be getting decent reception in the city.
Old 8th June 2007, 11:36   #52
BHPian

My Aveo has glass antenna and it works perfect for me i have tried it in rain too.

Old 11th April 2008, 15:16   #53
BHPian

RE: Shark fin

where can i find a shark fin antenna in Delhi (functional or non functional, preferably functional) and roughly how much will it cost.
Old 11th April 2008, 15:26   #54
Senior - BHPian

Shark fin antenna on the BMW's are for the car's built in mobile phone. I dont think they are for FM reception too. I dont own a BMW, so I dont know for sure .
Old 15th April 2008, 21:23   #55
BHPian

RE: Shark fin antenna

Can anyone in delhi point to shops where the shark fin antenna would be available? Also if possible how much would it cost?
Old 25th October 2010, 18:43   #56

How do I improve the MW reception in my Honda Civic?

Is it possible to attach a small loop antenna for MW reception?

The dipole antenna will not work for MW reception.

Thanks for ur help,

Jay
Old 26th October 2010, 10:40   #57
Senior - BHPian

For good MW reception, you need a large antenna, not small. Try running a thin wire around the windscreen periphery - leave one end free and connect the other end to the existing antenna in parallel to the OE antenna.
Old 3rd May 2011, 22:42   #58
BHPian

Re: Glass Antenna - Is it effective ?

guys, any idea where in bangalore i would get the long antenna, think it should be about 6 ft long, springing on the car trunk!
Old 4th May 2011, 10:29   #59
Senior - BHPian

@tsk: Any idea how could I make the old glass antenna work again, it is detached from the front glass of my Safari, will the repasting of it by fevicol or other glue make it rework as new?
Old 4th May 2011, 12:33   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
guys, any idea where in bangalore i would get the long antenna, think it should be about 6 ft long, springing on the car trunk!
You are unlikely to find it in Bangalore. It is usually available in the Middle East, where the locals put it on their SUVs - helps when one goes wadi-bashing in the desert where there are no cell-phone signals and one has to do with a CB radio. It also helps others locate an oncoming vehicle behind a dune. Check in JC Road, some of the fancier shops may be able to get you one.

If you want a functional antenna only, you can stick (with Superglue) a thin insulated wire all around the rubber beading of the rear glass. Connect one end of this wire to the antenna socket, leave the other end open, and voila you have a 10' antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
... it is detached from the front glass of my Safari, will the repasting of it by fevicol or other glue make it rework as new?
Strange. Is it the thin wire type stuck to glass (like the rear glass heater) or is the small antenna with 2 prongs sticking out just behind the RVM? Only cyano-acrylate glue ('Superglue' etc.) will stick reliably to glass. If it is the prong antenna, you can also do a jugaad by using a bent stiff copper or aluminium wire to hold it to the roof lining.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks