Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2007, 07:11   #1
BANNED

Glass Antenna - Is it effective ?

In SX4, the glass antenna is in the rear window glass. The rear window glass also shares the defogging heater. And the Glass Antenna consists of a plurality of conductive lines arranged on the window glass; the first antenna element and a second antenna element arranged on the upper side relative to the heater on the window glass. The first antenna element and the second antenna element each are capacitively coupled with the heater.

So, is the Glass Antenna really effective for FM/AM receptions OR is it just for the snobbishness ?

Other than the non-protruding factor, is there any other significant advantages ?
Old 4th June 2007, 11:47   #2
BHPian

dosent the civic too have the antennae integrated into the rear window? it sounded just fine when i sat in one.
Old 4th June 2007, 12:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
dosent the civic too have the antennae integrated into the rear window? it sounded just fine when i sat in one.
Yup and it sounds just fine.
Old 4th June 2007, 12:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Even the Indica has it. But at the front.
Old 4th June 2007, 12:43   #5
BHPian

Good question. I had problems with the glass antenna on my Indica. Even on open roads the signal for certain FM channels was weak and I would get a lot of crackle. While it may allow for no protrusions, I think the external antenna on the Swift (which I drive now) looks great and works well too.

Any expert views on this?
Old 4th June 2007, 13:07   #6
BHPian

Hi All,

Aveo also has glass Antenna on the back & so far I have not experienced any problem with it. It catches the signal good. Not checked when it is raining heavily & when the defogger is on. Generally I feel the reception quality is on par with external antenna.

Yes, the biggest advantage you get is that there are no protruding stuff from your car Apart from that no other benefit I guess.
Old 4th June 2007, 13:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I had problems with the glass antenna on my Indica.
I guess Indica doesn't comes with a glass antenna. There is a small antenna on back side of the internal rear view mirror.
Old 4th June 2007, 15:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
I guess Indica doesn't comes with a glass antenna. There is a small antenna on back side of the internal rear view mirror.
ya, its a strip of metal stuck to the windscreen with the wire going inside the roof trim.

BTW does anyone know how much a good automatic antenna costs as my accents antennas conked off. the a.s.s. says its for 5600/-

cheers
Old 4th June 2007, 18:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Aveo has the same hidden glass Antenna no problems in reception i can confirm that.
Old 4th June 2007, 23:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the a.s.s. says its for 5600/-
Get one at any local shop for Rs. 1000

Ok, i will tell you the truths about glass antenna's

They are very useful and avoid the hassele of a protuding antenna but alas there is one defect, a major one at that. When you switch on the rear defogger the glass antenna becomes totally useless and wont carry any range. Now you must be wondering why BMW and Merc's have a little shark above the rear windscreen.
Old 5th June 2007, 10:36   #11
BHPian

Busa, the Little Shark in BMW's and Merc's looks great. Is it possible to get the same thing installed in swift?
Old 5th June 2007, 11:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
Busa, the Little Shark in BMW's and Merc's looks great. Is it possible to get the same thing installed in swift?
Yes buddy, its called shark antenna, and its costs around Rs. 150, obviously it wont affect your range since this one is purely cosmetic, the Mercs and Beemers have a full antenna connected below the shark.
Old 5th June 2007, 11:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have a few related queries, hopefully it doesn't sound off-topic:
What kind of antenna is the best from signal reception point of view? Here is a list of various types we see around-

1. glass antenna
2. small roof-tops (GM, skoda I guess)
3. long roof-tops leaning backward (NHC, swift, ikon)
4. manual extendable attached to A-pillar on driver's side (most marutis, santro)
5. huge, motorized, extending above boot in sedans. A few high end cars have it tilted backward; what purpose doest it serve?
Old 5th June 2007, 22:32   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Blaupunkt windshield antenna - about 1K

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333
.. its a strip of metal stuck to the windscreen with the wire going inside the roof trim.
Have not had problems with this type of antenna even on a Pre-V2 Indica.

No issues with the antenna on the Indigo Marina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333
BTW does anyone know how much a good automatic antenna costs as my accents antennas conked off. the a.s.s. says its for 5600/-
Check out the Blaupunkt windshield mounted wire antenna - it's a strip of wire that will be stuck to the windshield, with an in-built amp. Easy to remove too. Got one from a Blaupunkt dealer, B&W, for about 1K. May be 1.2k. Quite discreet.

Last edited by condor : 5th June 2007 at 22:43.
Old 5th June 2007, 23:39   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Yes buddy, its called shark antenna, and its costs around Rs. 150, obviously it wont affect your range since this one is purely cosmetic, the Mercs and Beemers have a full antenna connected below the shark.
However in the case of the verna, the antenna is on the roof rear, where the shark should be.

If I replace my existing antenna with the shark kind, do you think that will affect my reception? Or should I try it and let you guys know?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks