Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2013, 17:22   #31
BHPian

Re: HPF & LPF settings ?

Ok, at the outset let me apologise for bumping up this old thread - but i'm looking for help similar to questions asked in this thread.

I have recently installed the following setup in my new Scorpio Sle:

HU: Pioneer DEH-X6590BT
Amp: Kenwood KAC-8404
Front: Rockford Fosgate R16-S 6" Components
Rear: Rockford Fosgate R1675 6.75" Co-axials
No Subwoofer

I am seeking a dummies' guide for HPF/LPF settings on the amplifier as i am pretty sure the installer boys didn't have much idea besides trial and error with dials on the amp. I am not too satisfied by the resultant sound.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 15th March 2013, 10:12   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet.S View Post
HU: Pioneer DEH-X6590BT
Amp: Kenwood KAC-8404
Front: Rockford Fosgate R16-S 6" Components
Rear: Rockford Fosgate R1675 6.75" Co-axials

I am seeking a dummies' guide for HPF/LPF settings on the amplifier as i am pretty sure the installer boys didn't have much idea besides trial and error with dials on the amp. I am not too satisfied by the resultant sound.
Since you do not have a subwoofer all the bass you get will come from the 4 6" speakers. Hence I dont see much use for using LPF or HPF settings. If we HPF the 6" speakers you will get no bass (unless you just HPF at say 30hz) to protect them from the very low frequencies.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 15:17   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Since you do not have a subwoofer all the bass you get will come from the 4 6" speakers. Hence I dont see much use for using LPF or HPF settings. If we HPF the 6" speakers you will get no bass (unless you just HPF at say 30hz) to protect them from the very low frequencies.
Thanks for the clarification Navinji I'll check if HPF/LPF are set to ON in the amp and turn them off.

Another dummies' question: Should i tinker with GAIN dials on the amp? My priority is sound quality than loudness.

Last edited by Puneet.S : 15th March 2013 at 15:19.
Old 15th March 2013, 15:24   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Navinji I'll check if HPF/LPF are set to ON in the amp and turn them off.

Another dummies' question: Should i tinker with GAIN dials on the amp? My priority is sound quality than loudness.
About 70% should be good enough.
Old 15th March 2013, 16:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
About 70% should be good enough.
Did exactly as you suggested and the result is a much better sounding system! The installer boys had set HPF for fronts and LPF for rear; gain for rear was also set to max!

Thank you very much for the help!
Old 16th March 2013, 10:36   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did exactly as you suggested and the result is a much better sounding system! The installer boys had set HPF for fronts and LPF for rear; gain for rear was also set to max!

Thank you very much for the help!
We aim to please. Enjoy your system.

Setting everything to Max is rarely recommended unless you are a follower of Spinal Tap.

Last edited by navin : 16th March 2013 at 10:37.
Old 20th October 2017, 18:23   #37
BHPian

Quote:
We aim to please. Enjoy your system.

Setting everything to Max is rarely recommended unless you are a follower of Spinal Tap.
Bumping up an old thread.
Could you please help me with the optimum settings of my HU please?
HU model is Sony WX-900BT and all 4 speakers are Sony XS-FB1620e. No amp no sub no nothing as the dealer did not even give me an option. I was planning to take delivery of car and get the stereo installed from outside after due consulting but they just scared the **** out of me in the name of warranty.

I know the setup does not even qualify as a good ICE
But there are few settings such as HPF, LPF, Slope, RBE, etc.,

Any suggestions Navin?
Old 22nd October 2017, 10:50   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post

Sony WX-900BT and all 4 speakers are Sony XS-FB1620e. No amp no sub no nothing as the dealer did not even give me an option.

But there are few settings such as HPF, LPF, Slope, RBE, etc.,

Any suggestions Navin?
HPF, LPF, Slope settings are only used when you have additional amps. On the back of the HU you will see pre-amp outputs for external amplifiers.

If you do not have any external amplifiers then all you need is bass, treble and other "EQ" related controls like loudness.

These tone controls are best "tuned by ear". Audio is a subjective discipline, the car's cabin offers several challenges and give the cost of most speakers there are several compromises made by manufacturers. Each system will have it's limitations and will perform best if it is setup to work within these limitations.

I understand the above is a rather vague explanation but that is what I have.

There are many more complex systems using DSPs and several amplifiers that I have set up an I find that the human ear is still more "dependable" than a DSP. So just trust your ears and set up the tone controls by ear.
Old 25th October 2017, 17:35   #39
BHPian

Quote:
HPF, LPF, Slope settings are only used when you have additional amps. On the back of the HU you will see pre-amp outputs for external amplifiers.

If you do not have any external amplifiers then all you need is bass, treble and other "EQ" related controls like loudness.
Thank you Navin. I understand what you are putting forth. If it hadn't been for the Nexa dealer threatening me with voiding the warranty stuffs, I had plans of seeking suggestions from our members before purchase. But now my options are restricted till a year or so.

I do not see any bass and treble settings. I do see settings for mega bass boost OFF,1 and 2. I do have about 10 EQ settings.

Now, would it be enough if I procure just an amp (without SW) for satisfactory sound quality and control over settings?
I have procured 6sheets of wurth sound deadening pads and about 10sq ft of self adhesive bitumen sheets.

If it might help my HU is Sony WX-900BT and all four speakers are Sony XS-FB1620e. Any suggestions for a suitable amp?

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 25th October 2017 at 17:37.
Old 26th October 2017, 12:32   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you Navin. I understand what you are putting forth. If it hadn't been for the Nexa dealer threatening me with voiding the warranty stuffs, I had plans of seeking suggestions from our members before purchase. But now my options are restricted till a year or so.

I do not see any bass and treble settings. I do see settings for mega bass boost OFF,1 and 2. I do have about 10 EQ settings.

Now, would it be enough if I procure just an amp (without SW) for satisfactory sound quality and control over settings?
I have procured 6sheets of wurth sound deadening pads and about 10sq ft of self adhesive bitumen sheets.

If it might help my HU is Sony WX-900BT and all four speakers are Sony XS-FB1620e. Any suggestions for a suitable amp?
The EQ10 settings are an extension of bass and treble settings. The frequencies below 200hz or so are bass, those above 4000hz or so are treble and everything else in between 200 and 4000 is midrange where the human voice is and where the human ear is MOST sensitive.

Your HU also has a High Pass Filter and Low Pass Filter. These are useful ONLY if you add a subwoofer. You Low Pass to the subwoofer and High Pass to the other 4 speakers. Since your HU has 3 sets of pre-outs you can add a subwoofer and amplifiers without any juggad. Your HU also has a Time Alignment option for the subwoofer. What this does is delays the sound from the front and rear speakers (you will see separate times for these) so that they arrive (to your ear) at the same time as the subwoofer which is probably in the trunk.

For now you can add any decent 4 channel amplifier from Pioneer, Kenwood, Blaupunkt, JBL, or Focal. They all sell for about 6-10k. For example the Pioneer GM6704 or Kenwood PS704EX both retail for about 7-8k. That "704" in each model is not a coincidence.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 14:34   #41
BHPian

Quote:
The EQ10 settings are an extension of bass and treble settings. The frequencies below 200hz or so are bass, those above 4000hz or so are treble and everything else in between 200 and 4000 is midrange where the human voice is and where the human ear is MOST sensitive.

Your HU also has a High Pass Filter and Low Pass Filter. These are useful ONLY if you add a subwoofer. You Low Pass to the subwoofer and High Pass to the other 4 speakers. Since your HU has 3 sets of pre-outs you can add a subwoofer and amplifiers without any juggad. Your HU also has a Time Alignment option for the subwoofer. What this does is delays the sound from the front and rear speakers (you will see separate times for these) so that they arrive (to your ear) at the same time as the subwoofer which is probably in the trunk.

For now you can add any decent 4 channel amplifier from Pioneer, Kenwood, Blaupunkt, JBL, or Focal. They all sell for about 6-10k. For example the Pioneer GM6704 or Kenwood PS704EX both retail for about 7-8k. That "704" in each model is not a coincidence.
That is a great explanation Navin. Appreciate you taking the time to reply back in detail.
I suppose I will not go for subwoofer at all as it takes up space in the trunk. We travel considerably and wifey will be mad at me if I take away space in trunk that might hinder her packaging strategy . But I sure will find out the amp and hope I can install it myself

Thanks again Navin.
Old 26th October 2017, 16:11   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I suppose I will not go for subwoofer at all as it takes up space in the trunk.
I sympathize. Women have the habit of carrying their world with them. I put a subwoofer in my sis-in-law's car and after a while she had the mechanic remove the subwoofer and amp and send to my office with thanks.

I now keep both as spare in case I need them to replace one in my car as both the amplifier manufacturer (STEG) and subwoofer manufacturer (Illusion Audio) are out of business.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks