Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2007, 02:32   #1
BWN
BHPian

Video ICE for Baleno - Suggestions pls

Hi,

Finally managed to grab a baleno.Now its ICE time.I am planning to return to india sometime in mid july.I would like to upgrade the current ICE set up.Suggestions pls.

Current Setup:
- HU -> Kenwood Cassette player
- Front -> Component(not sure) speakers on door with tweeters mounted on a pillar.
- Rear -> Sony coaxial Ovals(6x9) on rear parcel shelf.

Desired Upgrade :
- DVD-Vcd-Mp3 HU with roof mounted monitor.
HU should be Ipod ready,Aux In & USB.It should have Pre amps & sub out's for adding an amp latter on.
- Roof mounted monitor from good brands like necvox etc.

Budget :
- HU -> 10k to 15k
- Monitor -> 4k to 7k

Total budget can be anything around 20k on the highest side but the lesser the happier.i know i cant eat the cake and have it too....

I would also be ok with indash monitors but they are very expensive and i feel they would obstruct the AC vents if monitor is open.

I have made a brief analysis here in the market in germany but the DVD region is an issue.So dropped the idea of buying it here.Made a quick resesrch in the websites of Sony,Blaupunkt.The Dvd Hu costs anything around 12k to 16k.

Confused....... pls pour in your suggestions.And pls suggest me a good shop and installer in bangalore.Thanks.
Old 11th June 2007, 09:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
Hi,

Finally managed to grab a baleno.
Now that it is out of production, how did you manage?...left over stock or 2nd hand?
Quote:
Desired Upgrade :
- DVD-Vcd-Mp3 HU with roof mounted monitor.
HU should be Ipod ready,Aux In & USB.It should have Pre amps & sub out's for adding an amp latter on.
- Roof mounted monitor from good brands like necvox etc.

Budget :
- HU -> 10k to 15k
- Monitor -> 4k to 7k

Total budget can be anything around 20k on the highest side but the lesser the happier.i know i cant eat the cake and have it too....
For your budget and requirement, JVC might be a good option. Recent models not only play audio/video from dvd, but also support usb(upto 10Gb), bluetooth.

Quote:
I would also be ok with indash monitors but they are very expensive and i feel they would obstruct the AC vents if monitor is open.
dual-DIN in dash monitors won't have that problem, but they may be even more expensive! In fact your first option of roof mounted screen can possibly obstruct rear view mirror, which I think is a serious flaw. I would prefer in dash (even single DINs are available), and future addition of head rest monitors if required (say for kids). but in dash monitors also have limited screen resolution, check that.
Old 11th June 2007, 09:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Like santosh.s said, in this budget, JVC would be the best option. Sony also has a pretty good model (MEX-R1 ?) at about 12-13K
Old 11th June 2007, 11:41   #4
BWN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Now that it is out of production, how did you manage?...left over stock or 2nd hand?
I managed to get a used one as i am a fan of this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
For your budget and requirement, JVC might be a good option. Recent models not only play audio/video from dvd, but also support usb(upto 10Gb), bluetooth.
Any model number from JVC ?
i want to purchase it in bangalore with B/W.JVC india site is not working :(
Sony Mex-R1 is a good choice but price mentioned is 16k.
@hydrashhok - is 12-13k without B/W ?

Guys, How abt the screen.Roofmounted definitely will obstruct rearview mirror.Does Necvox has dash monitors ? Pls throw some light.
Old 11th June 2007, 13:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

BWN, visit their US website to get an idea. Models across all countries are more or less same, only with addition of different and confusing model numbers. Grey stuff is usually imported from countries like singapore, taiwan, malaysia etc. I would suggest not to rely on model numbers, rather check all the features that you want before purchasing.
Old 11th June 2007, 13:07   #6
BWN
BHPian

@ santosh.s - Thanks mate, for your suggestions.i am checking their websites for sometime now and getting more and more confused.user suggestions are the best way to narrow down.
Old 12th June 2007, 00:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sony Mex-R1 is a good choice but price mentioned is 16k.
@hydrashhok - is 12-13k without B/W ?

Guys, How abt the screen.Roofmounted definitely will obstruct rearview mirror.Does Necvox has dash monitors ? Pls throw some light.
It should be around 12k without b&w. i think necvox has dash monitors but those are not advisable because driver can see it. so it is better that you get a roof mounted screen, and for the rear view you can use side mirror.
Old 12th June 2007, 09:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

The Mex-R1 is available for 12k with B&W. The Sony world showrooms will retail it at 16k, but other dealers give it for 12k. Regarding the roof mounted screen, there are 2 types. Type 1 goes where your rear view mirror is mounted meaning that the RVM has to go. You can fit a reverse cam for 1k which would act as the RVM, but not a great idea. Type 2 is fitted on the roof between the 2 front seats which is the best & safest way to go. One hassle is that again your RVM does not get a view when the screen is pulled down.

I would suggest you look further than the Sony Mex R1. I use it, it has good features etc, but the major drawback is that it takes a lot of time to read any CD/DVD Mp3s.
Old 15th June 2007, 14:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have Sony MEX R1 on my Verna , yes i also have a pull down LCD monitor installed on the roof between the two forward seats, in such a manner that during night time the glare from the display does not fall on the drivers face.

Advantages :-
-> Good Sound quality in true sony tradition
-> excellent usability and features

Disadvantages
-> Takes a lot of time to load a disc, varies between ( 20 seconds to 3 miutes for a fully loaded DVD)
-> Cribs a lot about disc not been finalised, and incorrect format etc , stuff that you typically run into when you try to run home made DVDs on the ICE system.
-> no DivX support
-> Does not recognize more than 1000 files on the DVD , where as the DVD is capable of having many more files on it. This is a very crippling limitation

But other wise the HU has been a dream nice SQ and no issues what so ever. I got it for 9 k from chennai without b/w
Old 23rd June 2007, 00:35   #10
BWN
BHPian

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

Saw a indash monitor from JVC and i am inclined towards it becasue RVM needs to be disturbed for Roof monitors,which is not a good idea.And a good quality(necvox) 9' retails at around 9k to 12k.

1) A 7' In-dash monitor JVC (KVM709) is motorised and has all adjustments/tilts etc.It retails for 250 Euors(approx 13k) and has provisions for connecting multiple monitors as well.Since Baleno has space for double DIN, why not try this one as its almost in the price range of roof mounted ones but i know it will block the AC vents.Roof mounted monitors pose adjustment issue with the RVM and passenger in the front seat cannot view it in normal seated position(atleast i think so, pls throw light on this too).

Now i am getting crazy with my imagination.Just thought if I can install a sub from my creative PC speakers.I have a unused Creative (Inspire 2500) 2.1 set up at home.So why not use this sub-woofer for a limited boom boom.IMO, Definitely this sub is gonna throw out more bass than components or coaxials(opinions needed).i considered this sub coz,
- It works on 12V like all other car accesories.
- 17 watt RMS, which is pretty good if powered by HU.
- It has bass adjustment
- Has a built-in amp, which sounds great with good quality source(Ipod)

I need to know if this can be done ? if yes, then which is the ideal location for installation.I am not a great fan of boom boom..... but a good amount of bass is always welcome.Ok ok.... i know i am crazy now, but this would be really good if it materialises.
Thanks

Last edited by BWN : 23rd June 2007 at 00:40.
Old 23rd June 2007, 00:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

about the creative sub I would not recommend as it is a PC speaker ...firstly it will not have enough power to make some impact in a car atmosphere and secondly it will have a foam surround which will deteriorate in a hot environment of car..instead put some 6x9 for the bass effect which you want.
Old 23rd June 2007, 00:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

LBM, sometime back i saw a baleno with HT speakers, i wonder how good that will sound in the car.
Old 23rd June 2007, 01:10   #13
BWN
BHPian

@LBM - Just curious to know, how will it fail to make an impact in a car when it sounds good in a 10x10 room while playing Ipod ?

@esteen lover - Whats HT?

Just checked necvox [FONT=Arial]DA-7169 model.CAn anyone let me know how much soes it cost in india ?[/FONT]

Last edited by BWN : 23rd June 2007 at 01:24.
Old 23rd June 2007, 09:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@LBM - Just curious to know, how will it fail to make an impact in a car when it sounds good in a 10x10 room while playing Ipod ?

@esteen lover - Whats HT?

Just checked necvox [FONT=Arial]DA-7169 model.CAn anyone let me know how much soes it cost in india ?[/FONT]
No harm in trying, @BWN. There is no logical reason why it wouldn't suffice. It would be an active sub, though, and since it is a ported sub, it would be boomy. I don't think it goes very low, but the apparent low freq response sounds good enough for normal music - not HT quality (HT=Home Theater) but better than nothing. Not expected to play for a long time at high volumes - car subs are designed for that.
Old 23rd June 2007, 09:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

@BWN, since you are in Hamburg - check if you can reach someone working at Blaupunkt Hildesheim. You could check out stuff at Für Uns - the shop for employees. Might be able to check out and get Blau powered subs and other stuff from there.

Most Viewed