Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2007, 00:39   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

No sir, let me explain.

Lan cables are hard and brittle. In RCA applications there is a fair amount of twist, near the amplifier and near the HU too. You will find broken contacts more often than you care for. Even once is too many if you ask me.

The shielding provided on Lan cables is not enough to protect against AUDIBLE electromagnetic interference.
I agree somewhhat with navin, over short lengths it MAY not matter so much, given the equipment, but 5metres in a moving vehicle with self-generated Alternate current is NOT a short length at all!!.

Now if you take lan cable and wrap it up in Parontha ka silver foil, it might work, but for how long? IS it worth the experiment and the hassle of wiring and re-wiring your car. I assure you, that even if it works, it will break from the solder point in a few days.

Don't you think it's better to buy a Rs.250/- 5 metre MX audio cable?

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th June 2007 at 00:42.
Old 13th June 2007, 01:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
No sir, let me explain.

Lan cables are hard and brittle. In RCA applications there is a fair amount of twist, near the amplifier and near the HU too. You will find broken contacts more often than you care for. Even once is too many if you ask me.
OK lemme guess whats next...

"But Sam, LAN cables connect the internet, corporate intranets, stock exchanges, govt defense systems and much more. Why would they be used if they were so unreliable."

Old 13th June 2007, 09:35   #18
Team-BHP Support

Does the 75.4 come with cable to connect HU to amp?
Old 13th June 2007, 10:12   #19
Team-BHP Support

Nope I don't think any amp comes with RCA cables to connect to the HU. You have to purchase them separately. There are quite a few budget brands available e.g. pyle, auzzo and a few more I guess. Have tried the above 2 and found no problems so far.
Old 13th June 2007, 10:21   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The shielding provided on Lan cables is not enough to protect against AUDIBLE electromagnetic interference.
I agree somewhhat with navin, over short lengths it MAY not matter so much, given the equipment, but 5metres in a moving vehicle with self-generated Alternate current is NOT a short length at all!!.
"5metres in a moving vehicle"

no Cat 5 wont work! The sheilding is not sufficient. I was thinking home audio!
Old 13th June 2007, 11:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No sir, let me explain.

Now if you take lan cable and wrap it up in Parontha ka silver foil, it might work, but for how long? IS it worth the experiment and the hassle of wiring and re-wiring your car. I assure you, that even if it works, it will break from the solder point in a few days.

Sam Bhai I knew it well along I was just for the newbies here....
Old 13th June 2007, 12:01   #22
Team-BHP Support

So now I get it
1. Finolex L&T for power
2. Speaker wires and sub wires come with the speaker/sub
3. For HU-Amp I need 250rs MX audio cable
4. What about the connectors?
I am asking all this because many installers try to sell poor quality BOSS etc., wiring and connectors for 3000rs claiming they are JBL or other renowed brand.
Old 13th June 2007, 12:32   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
4. What about the connectors?.
Most MX cables come with moulded connectors.
Old 13th June 2007, 12:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
2. Speaker wires and sub wires come with the speaker/sub
You'll get wires with the speakers, but I don't think you'll get wires with a sub. You'll need wires thicker than the usual speaker-cables for the sub. 14G to 12G should be fine. I'd prefer 12G though And if the sub-amp is in the boot, you won't need too much wire for the sub.

[But, from my experience, you should leave enough wire to be able to put the sub on the rear seats/rear-foot-well, in case you need the boot for luggage, and don't want to disconnect the sub ]
Old 13th June 2007, 12:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

you can use the thinner gauge finolex or l&t for the sub also....it will hardly make any difference...

and which connectors you are looking for.
Old 13th June 2007, 13:21   #26
Team-BHP Support

Don't know what connectors etc., all I am trying to find out is apart from HU/Amp/Sub/Box/Components, what accessories I need to buy beforehand and go to installer.
Sub/box/amp/HU/Components the installer will give me, but everything else I want to buy on my own so that I am not sold a fake JBL kit for 3500rs.
Old 15th June 2007, 17:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
(hint: they were probably meant for the US). Do not be disheartened if you hear it is Made in China. China is gaining much deserved respect in audio circles these days.
No, I won't be disheartened by "made in china" stamp, as long as the quality is proven (and approved by people like you). I strongly believe that many Chinese companies must have gained a lot of expertise while serving big brands as OEMs, in recent years. Not only in audio, but virtually everything that they make.

Quote:
Sam, let me confirm- is it Rs. 250/- per 5-meters = Rs. 50/- per meter? It sounds reasonable (dirt cheap by audiophile standards). I presume that it is shielded, as any good RCA cable would be, right? Also, is "MX audio" Chinese too?
Old 15th June 2007, 18:47   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Sam, let me confirm- is it Rs. 250/- per 5-meters = Rs. 50/- per meter? It sounds reasonable (dirt cheap by audiophile standards). I presume that it is shielded, as any good RCA cable would be, right? Also, is "MX audio" Chinese too?
It is Rs.270/- for either of the boxes below

Either stereo EP to 2 RCA or 2RCA to 2RCA.
MX is India's leading connector and cable company, they do a lot of export. The size of their catalogue is overwhelming and they are well distributed in all cities.
A lot of their products (including the ones above) are outsourced from china. I have used both the cables in the picture and considering that it costs Rs.270/- I am extremely pleased with the result.
I'd recommend it to anyone on a budget, anytime. On a mid end system, very few people will be able to tell any audible difference between this and say for example, monster interlink junior. In any case, it is FAR superior to the fake crap RCAs in the dirty fake kits and Boss etc.
To count it per metre is difficult as it is a pre-terminated, moulded cable.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 15th June 2007 at 18:51.
Old 15th June 2007, 19:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for some useful info!

Quote:
To count it per metre is difficult as it is a pre-terminated, moulded cable.
This is even better because I don't have to deal with separate connectors, and more importantly additional soldering, heat-shrinks etc! Also, molded means little or no chance of bare copper exposure to atmosphere (oxidation) in long run. Only flip side I see is that you can not use shorter wires even if feasible. But that too shouldn't be a big deal if they are well shielded, right?

Since you are saying they perform well, I guess they must be having good shielding, but for the sake of confirmation can you please say YES or NO?
Old 15th June 2007, 19:58   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Since you are saying they perform well, I guess they must be having good shielding, but for the sake of confirmation can you please say YES or NO?
YES .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks