Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Of the current AA wireless options, which one do you prefer/recommend
AA Wireless on Indiegogo 16 45.71%
Carsifi 3 8.57%
Motorola MA1 11 31.43%
Others/Cheaper chinese options 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2022, 21:14   #1
BHPian

Options for Wireless Android Auto - Which one do you prefer?

Starting a new thread since a lot of articles are on Wireless Android Auto, but none compare all of them in one page. The idea of this thread is to bring all of them on the same page with links for easy reference.

Going wireless is the norm; efficient or not, it is ergonomic, clutter free and easy. Easy, is it? Well in most cases, but it is not easy to find a option to go wireless when it comes to Android Auto(AA). Most car manufacturers, even in their top end offerings, do not provide wireless AA. You have to use wire to connect or some sort of dongle required. Though it is not fully wireless option as the dongle would connect with a wire to your infotainment system, but it remove the hassle of connecting/disconnecting wire to your phone every time you get into the car.

As most users do not care if it is wired or wireless, not enough solution to make a wired AA to wireless AA available in market. Some Chinese dongles present, but they are not even 1% reliable. First reliable option came from crowd funded Indiegogo project AA Wireless back in 2020. Another option followed through Carsifi which has the same capabilities of AA Wireless. The next option came sometime last year from Motorola (Motorola MA1 dongle offers wireless Android Auto capabilities), but soon the short fall of it started coming in online forums. And it is not easy to get hold of, specially in India.

Now AA Wireless being crowd funded, manufacturing depends on bulk order and this pandemic makes the delivery of the product not streamlined and only ships in batches. But user base is strong, online support is available and they ship to India.

(above text taken from Dipdawiz post in this forum with minor edits - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...to-dongle.html (AAWireless - Indiegogo project for wireless Android Auto dongle)

There are 3 options as of now - May'22 (with Team-bhp review links):
1. AA Wireless ($88) which started it all in Indiegogo - https://www.team-bhp.com/news/my-kia...d-auto-rs-8000
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...to-dongle.html (AAWireless - Indiegogo project for wireless Android Auto dongle)
2. Carsifi ($89) which is a follow up of AA wireless. Has an additional functionality of being able to connect 2 phones and switch between them
(not yet reviewed on Team-bhp)
3. Motorola MA1 ($89) - Latest entrant into the AA wireless space - https://www.team-bhp.com/news/motoro...adapter-review

Another option is to use a master phone and a slave phone outlined by Bibendum90949 in his thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...uilt-wifi.html (Wireless Android Auto for cars without inbuilt WiFi) but this is not feasible for non-technical oriented folks like me.

Among these, based on my research AA Wireless has been the most widely used 'adapter' and has a lot of positive reviews. Carsifi is relatively new, but has a lot of positive reviews (and negative) as well. Motorola MA1 is the latest in the list and should be a reliable device coming from Motorola.

Links to the Wireless options:
1. AA Wireless - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless#/
2. Carsifi - https://carsifi.com/
3. Motorola MA1 - https://motorolasound.com/audio-prod...droid-auto/ma1

Availability -
1. AA Wireless - Currently shipping in a month (but many have waited for a few months)
2. Carsifi - Very similar to AA Wireless
3. Motorola MA1 - currently available in the US. Users can get it through a forwarding service

AA Wireless

Carsifi

Motorola MA1 Video

I would seek help of the experts to build onto this list (as I myself have a lot of questions myself, which I'll post in subsequent posts)

Last edited by ampere : 6th May 2022 at 19:13. Reason: added another link to make the content more appropriat; fixed typo
mail.jaiswal is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 00:09   #2
BHPian

re: Options for Wireless Android Auto - Which one do you prefer?

Now with the questions:
1. The main issue that I have with Android Auto is that the cable used for Android auto does not charge at a very good speed. I have a Oneplus 8 pro and the car is a Hyundai Creta 1.6 petrol 2017 edition. When Android auto (wired) is enabled, my phone drains faster than the battery being consumed, due to GPS and Bluetooth draining my battery.

Charging speed through the USB socket of the car is 50-150 mA and charging speed through the cigrette lighter car charger socket is 1500-1700 mA. Usually with GPS and Bluetooth, my phone is draining at 200-400 ma. I plan to install a wireless adapter such as AA wireless and use the car charger to charge the phone, which should hopefully charge the phone faster than the battery being used. Any suggestions would be welcome.

2. Any possibility of increasing the charging speed through the Android Auto USB socket in the car? I use the standard Oneplus cable with the USB socket of the car (under the dash).

The objective is to use Android auto on a daily basis for navigation, taking calls and basic web searches through the assistant. Any inputs on the above queries would be appreciated.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th May 2022 at 09:01. Reason: Please capitalise where required. Thanks.
mail.jaiswal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 11:57   #3
BHPian

Re: Options for Wireless Android Auto - Which one do you prefer?

Voted AAWireless. I bought this for following reasons

- Designed and developed by the famous android developer of xda-developers (Emil Borconi-Szedressy from Netherland). Already given us app like AAGateway which is tried by Bibendum90949.
- Very active support team and regular firmware updates. More user base, so better community support. Proper technical discussions possible in xda-developers.
- If I remember correctly, carsifi uses some tech stack which has tendency to make some apps not working properly (not sure whether it was about carsifi or something else, but did not want to try), AAWireless uses native AA APIs.
- Chip shortage is almost over, its being shipped within a month and so to India. Carsifi also ships with similar time frame, Motorola MA1 is yet to officially available in India, then support is a big question in our country.

One correction with AAWireless
- AAWireless is USD 85 + shipping

Some information about carsifi
- carsifi is also a Indiegogo crowdfunded project.
- carsifi has dedicated button to switch between multiple connected phone, making it easy if it is used by two persons using the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail.jaiswal View Post
now with the questions:
1. ...

Charging speed through the USB socket of the car is 50-150 mA and charging speed through the cigrette lighter car charger socket is 1500-1700 mA. Usually with GPS and Bluetooth, my phone is draining at 200-400 ma. I plan to install a wireless adapter such as AA wireless and use the car charger to charge the phone, which should hopefully charge the phone faster than the battery being used. Any suggestions would be welcome.

2. Any possibility of increasing the charging speed through the Android Auto USB socket in the car? I use the standard Oneplus cable with the USB socket of the car (under the dash).

1. This is strange, did not hear this issue with any built-in or aftermarket HU of my friends who uses AA regularly. I have seen the phone gets charged fully when connected to AA with GPS and music on. Did you check with other cable and other mobile? Anyway if that is the case with your charging, you can go with wireless android auto and charge with cable when you need it. I have checked Samsung galaxy phone uses approximately 15% charge in 2 hours. Sometimes up to 20% (so 10% per hour). So you can use wireless AA for 4-5 hours before you put the phone on charge, better time also possible (offline map, downloaded music). Battery drainage due to wireless AA is depended on phone brand/ROM, as I read somewhere Pixel phones drain 20% per hour with wireless AA and has heating issue.

2. I guess this is not possible without rip apart the mechanism and doing a DIY

Last edited by dipdawiz : 5th May 2022 at 12:03.
dipdawiz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 12:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post

1. This is strange, did not hear this issue with any built-in or aftermarket HU of my friends who uses AA regularly. I have seen the phone gets charged fully when connected to AA with GPS and music on. Did you check with other cable and other mobile? Anyway if that is the case with your charging, you can go with wireless android auto and charge with cable when you need it. I have checked Samsung galaxy phone uses approximately 15% charge in 2 hours. Sometimes up to 20% (so 10% per hour). So you can use wireless AA for 4-5 hours before you put the phone on charge, better time also possible (offline map, downloaded music). Battery drainage due to wireless AA is depended on phone brand/ROM, as I read somewhere Pixel phones drain 20% per hour with wireless AA and has heating issue.
I have tried multiple cables including the standard Oneplus cable and the charge reduces over a period of time. will try some other cables to see if they charge faster. this could be a Oneplus specific issue as charging from other chargers is slow but on the Oneplus charger is blazingly fast.
Old 5th May 2022, 13:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I have tried multiple cables including the standard Oneplus cable and the charge reduces over a period of time. will try some other cables to see if they charge faster. this could be a Oneplus specific issue as charging from other chargers is slow but on the Oneplus charger is blazingly fast.
Most Chinese phones are designed to detect the same brand wall charger and then use full potential of the charger. But it should not be that slow, AA port should be charging with 10-20watt which is fast enough charging for most mobile (even though it may not be displayed as "fast charging" on mobile).

Check if other brand mobile charges normally or slow.

Can other Creta (before 2020) owners confirm this slow AA wired charging?
dipdawiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 15:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
now with the questions:
1. The main issue that I have with Android Auto is that the cable used for Android auto does not charge at a very good speed. I have a Oneplus 8 pro and the car is a Hyundai Creta 1.6 petrol 2017 edition. When Android auto (wired) is enabled, my phone drains faster than the battery being consumed, due to GPS and Bluetooth draining my battery.
Portronics has this product that I use on my 2007 W211 E280 CDI that doubles up as my Bluetooth audio connector and has a fast charger plus a normal charger. We land up charging 2 smartphones from practically 15% to 75% in less than 30 mins with both being used.

A55 I believe its called.
BennyA23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 23:24   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
... Can other Creta (before 2020) owners confirm this slow AA wired charging?
I have a gen 1 Creta with AA and i have not faced any issues with the slow charging so far. However, i do not have a OnePlus, i use either a BB Priv or Galaxy Note 10.

My usual usage is AA + music (either VLC or streaming services). In short drives (<45 mins) the battery seems to drop by ~ 5-6% from when i start. However, on longer drives i find the phone to charge up as well.

e.g. driving to Delhi from Lucknow some days ago, Note 10, 6 hours drive, start battery at 20%, end at 78%.

For some reason, the Priv seems to run hotter. I keep both phones on a holder and aim one of the vents at; maybe this helps with the charging as well.

I use AA on other cars as well and have not faced any battery drain issue as such. Some cars charge faster, others slower but its alright.
N33raj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 08:09   #8
BHPian

Just came across this news.

https://www.bollyinside.com/news/a-m...d-kia-vehicles

My question is, can infotainment unit suppliers upgrade thier software which could enable wireless AA on thier current non-wireless units in various cars ? Is there any hardware upgrade required to go wireless or it could be done via software upgrade ? I'm not sure.

Just my thought - If they could do it through software upgrade, they can even charge some money through car maker's service centres. This could be another revenue model for both of them. If I'm being asked to pay say couple of thousand rupees for this software upgrade to wireless AA, I would happily pay rather than handling third party dongles.
Old 7th May 2022, 15:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N33raj View Post
I have a gen 1 Creta with AA and i have not faced any issues with the slow charging so far. However, i do not have a OnePlus, i use either a BB Priv or Galaxy Note 10.

My usual usage is AA + music (either VLC or streaming services). In short drives (<45 mins) the battery seems to drop by ~ 5-6% from when i start. However, on longer drives i find the phone to charge up as well.

e.g. driving to Delhi from Lucknow some days ago, Note 10, 6 hours drive, start battery at 20%, end at 78%.

For some reason, the Priv seems to run hotter. I keep both phones on a holder and aim one of the vents at; maybe this helps with the charging as well.

I use AA on other cars as well and have not faced any battery drain issue as such. Some cars charge faster, others slower but its alright.
I am guessing it's an issue with the phone and not wired AA.. Even regular wall chargers charge very slowly on my oneplus. Thats the way, I think oneplus phones are designed, so that only the proprietary chargers provide fast charging. Maybe other oneplus users may be able to confirm the same.

But good to know that it's not an issue with the creta or AA.. Thanks for your info.
Old 7th May 2022, 20:23   #10
BHPian

I've been using AA always. Even for a shorter trips. I have never faced any issues with my OnePlus 8 pro and using MI cable for the connectivity. Charging is reasonably better, however AA doesn't support fast charging as per their website. No disconnects or struggles after upgraded to Android 12. Though I prefer the wireless AA, My Scross stock HU doesn't support it.
Jebs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 06:13   #11
BHPian

Slightly off topic.

Was anyone able to successfully plug in a USB splitter into your Android Auto deck and be able to use 1 port to connect AA to your phone, while in parallel have the ability to stick in a USB stick with your music ?

This way you have both on tap, all the features of Android Auto + your USB music drive when needed ?

I tried with This USB Splitter, but the car unit does not recognize when you plug in a USB drive via this splitter.

Note: The splitter works perfect on a laptop and supports data transfer from multi ports.
Old 12th June 2022, 20:04   #12
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Slightly off topic.

Was anyone able to successfully plug in a USB splitter into your Android Auto deck and be able to use 1 port to connect AA to your phone, while in parallel have the ability to stick in a USB stick with your music ?

This way you have both on tap, all the features of Android Auto + your USB music drive when needed ?

I tried with This USB Splitter, but the car unit does not recognize when you plug in a USB drive via this splitter.
I have the exact same splitter and works fine as you explained above in my Toyota. May be this is dependent on the car HU.
cnu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 11:15   #13
BHPian

Thanks for this thread. My Nexon EV Max is providing wireless charging pad but no wireless AA. Weird! However it seems connected Cars like Nexon EV, Newest Venue top end usually exclude AA either due to Harware limitation or some other reason.

Couple of differences I would like to Highlight as per my research on these devices.

Motorola MA1 -
From a good manufacturer , but has no way to upgrade the firware to fix any bugs that pops up.
Only product officially licensed to support Android Auto.
However it is usually out of Stock.

AA Wireless -
Tried and tested by so many people now. Also has support for firware updates and you can tweak the settings to suit your needs.

Carsifi -
I feel it has almost the same advantage as of AA wireless with firware update support.
One USP is that you can connect multiple devices and quickly switch between them with a click of a button.
Old 23rd November 2022, 10:38   #14
BHPian

Watch from 9th minute.

He uses a dongle which converts your present entertainment system to one which supports wireless AA and carplay.

I contacted him on the phone and got the below specifications:

RAZR GENIE
Converts the stock player to a smart player

Option 1:
2GB RAM
32GB ROM
Quad Core Processor
17500/-

Option 2: (Highly Recommend)
4GB RAM
64GB ROM
Expandable upto 128GB
Builtin SIM Card Provision
Snapdragon QUALCOMM Processor
Also converts wired Android Auto and Car Play to both WIRELESS
1 year warranty
21000/-
Old 23rd November 2022, 12:05   #15
BHPian

For some weird reason, KIA has provided a wireless charger on Seltos but no Android Auto wireless or apple car play and this was one feature that I was missing on the car from the day I bought it.

After going through the reviews on team bhp and few youtube videos, finally bought AA wireless from a friend who was travelling from US.

Really happy with this adapter, its very small and works seamlessly and is very easy to setup. It was just kind of plug and play.....

Vijay

Last edited by vijay_k : 23rd November 2022 at 12:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks