Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2022, 17:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Android Auto updated to fit all vehicle screens: Also gets new UI & split-screen interface

Google will soon be rolling out a fresh update for its Android Auto connectivity feature, focussing on vehicle touchscreens.

Android Auto updated to fit all vehicle screens: Also gets new UI & split-screen interface-androidautoupdate1.jpg

According to reports, the new update will now allow Android Auto to conform to the size and shape of any vehicle's infotainment screen. Along with the improved integration, Android Auto will also get a refreshed design, bringing it more in line with the latest Android software seen on smartphones. This will include updates to the font, shapes & general UI which will make it look similar to that of a smartphone running stock Android software.

In addition to the new design & UI updates, Google will also be introducing a fresh split-screen interface for this version of Android Auto. The update will offer a 3-way split, allowing navigation, media & communication to run simultaneously. The software will also allow the users to enlarge any of those tiles if they prefer to focus on one of the three applications.

Android Auto updated to fit all vehicle screens: Also gets new UI & split-screen interface-androidautoupdate2.jpg

Google has also announced better Assistance integration with the new update. The car will now proactively suggest replies, share arrival times with a person of choice and even recommend music options. The new Android Auto update is expected to be rolled out "in the coming months".

Source: Autoblog

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 18:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Auto updated to fit all vehicle screens: Also gets new UI & split-screen interface

Slowly the laggards (nothing wrong in it, I don't mind small, non-distracting screens in car) of the industry that are offering small / moderately sized screens - will be left with no choice but to move to these crowd-favourite 9-10" tablets on the dasbhoards. With more and more information / split screens and multi tasking making its way into Android Auto - the smaller screens will either miss out on features or have uncomfortable clutter on the small real estate. I'll be interested to see if this feature gets enabled on my little 6.5" touch-screen. I hope it has enough logic built - to disable some features like split screen if the screen is identified as small.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 18:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Auto updated to fit all vehicle screens: Also gets new UI & split-screen interface

Personally I'm not a big fan of integrating these giant lcd's into car navigation systems. They have poor reliability records (quick keep getting worse as they grow in size)

I personally prefer the maruti/Datsun strategy of having a dock+ a smartphone app that can do everything the display does. That way you have a screen that's easily swappable and also deals with the thorny issue of the car using PII on it
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 07:56   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Personally I'm not a big fan of integrating these giant lcd's into car navigation systems. They have poor reliability records (quick keep getting worse as they grow in size)
This depends on the quality of touchscreen provided by the manufacturer. In my case Ford ecosport s (sync 3.0) and Kia sonet htx ( wireless Android auto), both have been operating flawlessly (touchwood). Both have been excellent in terms of response and have never lagged till now.
CR07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 15:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Is there any information on this update? Is it expected to roll out anytime this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'll be interested to see if this feature gets enabled on my little 6.5" touch-screen. I hope it has enough logic built - to disable some features like split screen if the screen is identified as small.
Dear Reinhard, have you used ‘both’ Android auto and Apple CarPlay?

I use both on my car’s 7 inch display and the split screen view of CarPlay is far superior than Android Auto. I am confidant that almost everyone will like the split screen view of the Android Auto, when implemented.

Lastly, I fail to understand why do we forum members keep calling in car displays as “giant tablets”.

Most cars are equipped with a 7 to 9 inch screen which is the ideal size of display in my personal opinion.
Old 6th August 2022, 17:30   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
-stly, I fail to understand why do we forum members keep calling in car displays as “giant tablets”.

Most cars are equipped with a 7 to 9 inch screen which is the ideal size of display in my personal opinion.
Yes, most cars are indeed equipped with 7-inch to-9-inch touchscreens, but they are getting bigger and bigger with each new car launch and facelift, Kia and Hyundai have 10.25-inch screens, new MG Hector is going to get a 14-inch one, so that maybe the reason why they are labelled in this manner.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 06:42   #7
BHPian

Finally AA Coolwalk is here. However it's a beta version only for now. Nice experience though.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Auto updated to fit all vehicle screens: Also gets new UI & split-screen interface-img20221116wa0000.jpeg  

Jebs is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks