Team-BHP - Android Auto versus Apple CarPlay
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Android Auto versus Apple CarPlay (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/252142-android-auto-versus-apple-carplay-5.html)

I have been considering getting an iPhone now that USB-C is adopted. But I am extremely reliant on Android Auto. There must have been significant software updates since most posts in this thread. On the latest iteration of Apple CarPlay can I -

1. Use Google Maps
2. Use Siri to request music / track changes
3. Is there a split screen which shows both the map and the other info like music, sms
4. Can I make/receive WhatsApp calls via CarPlay?

Honestly I couldn't careless if it wired or wireless. With the Amazon and Flipkart sale around the corner, your input will be much appreciated. Will make me decide whether I switch to iOS or not.

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by invidious (Post 5635106)
On the latest iteration of Apple CarPlay can I -
1. Use Google Maps
2. Use Siri to request music / track changes
3. Is there a split screen which shows both the map and the other info like music, sms

My replies below:
1. Yes, you can use Google Maps. I have an iPhone 11 64GB and I use CarPlay with Maruti SmartPlay Studio head unit (HU). Only issue is that sometimes, Google maps need to be opened in my phone once to show maps on the HU. Giving voice command to Siri “Navigate to xyz via Google Maps” fails to load the route. These issues have come up ever since I updated my HU firmware. An alternative to this is to tap the voice command mic button in Google Maps in CarPlay and then speak your input. Alternatively, one may use “Ok Google” instead of Siri in CarPlay that needs to be set from the phone settings. I have never tried this. See below screenshot from my iPhone’s Google Maps setting regarding Ok Google or Hey Siri choice.

Android Auto versus Apple CarPlay-img_7061.png

One can also integrate music apps with Google maps but I have not tried this.

Android Auto versus Apple CarPlay-img_7062.png

2. Siri works flawlessly with Apple Music, Spotify, JioSaavn but does not work with Amazon Music because of Alexa (Amazon music does not want to allow Siri to control amazon music but they give a choice that pressing the voice command button on my steering wheel will activate Alexa instead of Siri that I have not experimented with).

3. Yes, Android Auto has copied the split screen from CarPlay only. Its amazing in CarPlay. See below screenshot.

Android Auto versus Apple CarPlay-img_7024.png

4. You can receive WhatsApp calls from CarPlay as I have done this but I have never made a WhatsApp call from CarPlay. I can check this tomorrow and let you know. Even in iPhone, WhatsApp incoming audio and videk calls & outgoing audio and video calls are logged in the phone app itself allowing you to call again from the phone app instead of opening the WhatsApp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by invidious (Post 5635106)
1. Use Google Maps

The latest high contrast display of Google Maps alone is not there in the CarPlay version.

There was a bug on relaunch of Google maps if your head unit restarts after initial connection in iOS 16, this seems to be gone in iOS 17.

Quote:

Yes and send WhatsApp messages too. Just that Siri won't show in text what you say, but it will repeat in audio for confirmation before sending.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaddleShifter (Post 5635206)

3. Yes, Android Auto has copied the split screen from CarPlay only. Its amazing in CarPlay. See below screenshot.

Can you please tell me how to get this split view as I have no idea how to do it and I know I have done if once but now have no idea. Probably doesn't matter but my car is Nios and has carplay part of car's system.
What icon to press during navigation to get split view?

Quote:

Originally Posted by raksrules (Post 5635237)
Can you please tell me how to get this split view as I have no idea how to do it and I know I have done if once but now have no idea. Probably doesn't matter but my car is Nios and has carplay part of car's system.

This one at the lower right corner:

Android Auto versus Apple CarPlay-img_4061.jpeg

It toggles between different views.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raksrules (Post 5635237)
Probably doesn't matter but my car is Nios and has carplay part of car's system.

Dear Raksrules, I assume that your Grand i10 Nios is connected to your iPhone through the USB cable and CarPlay starts on your car’s HU.

By default, CarPlay starts in this split screen view. For reference, see the 1 min youtube video below.

https://youtu.be/-nY3pGC7dH8?si=aJeW1VmG-sY9QzPO

When you are running CarPlay and have opened the app drawer by clicking on the eight dots at bottom right corner, the bottom right will now show a split screen icon in the form of one large box and three parallel smaller boxes. See screenshot from the Youtube video below. Pressing this icon will take you back to the split screen view. If you want to see a video demonstration, please let me know. I will upload a video here tomorrow then.

Android Auto versus Apple CarPlay-img_7068.jpeg

Is an Audi or a BMW a better purchase? It's a personal choice in the end. Here, there isn't a certain winner. However, choosing between Android Auto and Apple CarPlay may not be that difficult. Just select the priority that works best with the smartphone phone you are choosing.

I think the inability to switch between the two rival smartphone mirroring solutions has long sparked debate about which is superior: Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Rather than having biases toward the Android or Apple ecosystems, I believe we should first understand our requirements and needs before deciding which one is better for us.
To me, the most important aspect is dependable navigation, whether using Google Maps or Apple Maps. Apple and Google each have their own proprietary maps, which are used as the default in CarPlay and Android Auto.

I find that the Google Maps on Android Auto performs better for me because it's easier to navigate. Though the Google Maps app may also be used with Apple Carplay but its functionality in the iOS interface differs slightly from that of the Android interface.

Both Apple and Android platforms offer notifications, but Android Auto is more careful in announcing incoming calls, texts, and messages. Apple CarPlay's voice assistant can hide the screen and read a notification, but Android Auto will just minimize the message and read it aloud. This means you may continue to navigate while messages are read aloud.

Coming to the user interface Apple CarPlay is a clear winner in this regard. Apple car play UI compared to Android Auto is straightforward to use, with large buttons that make it easy to control while you’re driving. Android Auto’s UI is a bit more complex, with smaller buttons and a lot of text.

In terms of stability, I believe Apple CarPlay delivers a superior experience. It seldom crashes or glitches, whereas Android Auto tends to freeze or slow.

In terms of connectivity, both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto may be connected via USB cords. The newer automobile head systems provide wireless communications via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

The above conclusion is based on my personal experience since I have used both platforms simultaneously regularly. At times, I believe Android Auto is superior, while at other times, the reverse is true. This is why I keep both Android and iPhone mobiles on my long drives.

So what is the verdict? If you appreciate a lot of functionality and a customizable UI, Android Auto is certainly for you. However, if you want a simplified experience with as little disturbance as possible while driving, opt with Apple CarPlay. Finally, everything comes down to personal choice.