Team-BHP - Need to ICE-up my Aveo UVA
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Need to ICE-up my Aveo UVA (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/25342-need-ice-up-my-aveo-uva.html)

Hi,

I want to ICE-up my Aveo UVA. I have not yet got the car delivered but as soon as that's done, I will buy the ICE.
My budget is about 15K (max). I wanted to know which combo of HU and speakers I should go for:
My requirements:
- I dont want to compromise on boot space as much as possible
- I dont want to have too loud sound, but good quality sound inside the car.

As far as I know the car has provision for 6" circular speakers in the front and ovals at the rear. (Can someone with the same car confirm this?)
Reg. HU, I will be playing my mp3/ aac songs in the car, but not sure which method is prefered by the forum gurus :)
- The FM transmistter which can be hooked into the mp3 player and recd by the HU? OR
- Provision in the HU so that the player can be directly plugged into.

Also, I dont mind spending a li'l bit more for the HU so that whenever I get some moolah next, I can get the speakers upgraded or get an amp fixed or whatever.

lastly, sorry guys if I'm being ignorant about ICE, but i just graduated from the what-car section!
-EMD

Quote:

Originally Posted by EatMyDust (Post 473240)
My budget is about 15K (max).
As far as I know the car has provision for 6" circular speakers in the front and ovals at the rear.
Also, I dont mind spending a li'l bit more for the HU so that whenever I get some moolah next, I can get the speakers upgraded or get an amp fixed or whatever.

For 15K the options are:
a Pio 2950/3950 or Blau Mumbai for 5K
a pair of 6" components in the front for 5K (I think the Aveo has tweeter pods) from JBL, Blaupunkt etc..
a pair of 6x9s in the rear for 5K (same brand as above).

Is it possible to power up the components without an amp? Will they sound good?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca (Post 473649)
Is it possible to power up the components without an amp? Will they sound good?

Yes it is possible to power them up using your HU. They will work and will sound better than regualr coaxials (in the front)
However, it would be nicer if you could give them a Low cut off (at about 65-100hz, depending on the kind of components and their install and application) and more power. Both these things will be achievable with atleast a 2 channel amplifier, even if it's a small amp.

So do answer your question, YES, but the amplifier will make the experience much better.

Thanks, but one quick Q:

Whatever Navin's suggested doesnt have the Amp right? Which small Amp should i buy if i stretch my budget to 20K?

For 5000 you can look for a small 4 channel amplifier made by Sony or Pioneer.

Pio 2950 4.5-5k
Jbl components 6k
Jbl 6x9 3.5-4k
Installation and wires 1k
That is about 16 and if you can stretch your budget get a sony 504(or is it 544) or the pio 6100 or the jbl 60.4 for 4.5-7k ...

Hey bhpians!

First of all, thanks for your responses- wanted to update u on my status.

I havent still got the car/ maybe within 5 more days. Also, I just got an offer from a friend who's in the US. He's volunteered himself to bring me the ICE.

My Q:

Is it really cheaper to get the equipment from the US?
Is the Warranty valid here (if i buy a Pio/ Blau) ?
Should i get an HU/ Amp from there? Or only an HU? (I think i should buy the JBL speakers here itself)

Are there any problems related to compatibility ( Voltage or speakers or otherwise)

Is it really cheaper to get the equipment from the US? YES
Is the Warranty valid here (if i buy a Pio/ Blau) ? NO
Should i get an HU/ Amp from there? Or only an HU? (I think i should buy the JBL speakers here itself) YES, just get the HU

Are there any problems related to compatibility ( Voltage or speakers or otherwise) NO

I heard that the HU made for USA 'may not' work with all FM stations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crajesh (Post 491699)
I heard that the HU made for USA 'may not' work with all FM stations.

correct but there is a internal menu setting which allow to change the freq band of the same to suit the local setting.

hi gurus!

finally i've decided to ask a friend in US to get a Kenwood HU for me.

my worry is that on the shop's website they've mentioned this

" A brand-specific radio wiring harness is required to connect the radio to the vehicle wiring harness."

Do i need to specially buy this "radio wiring harness" in the US? Or Can i get it here? Whats "radio wiring harness" supposed to be? Also is there any other component i may need to specially buy there?

Also, thinking about getting the Kenwood KDC-MP632U. Anyone owns this HU? Is it good enough? The price is approx $140 or Rs 6K

Quote:

Originally Posted by EatMyDust (Post 498789)
" A brand-specific radio wiring harness is required to connect the radio to the vehicle wiring harness."

Do i need to specially buy this "radio wiring harness" in the US? Or Can i get it here? Whats "radio wiring harness" supposed to be? Also is there any other component i may need to specially buy there?

That is an "adapter" which mates with the HU on one side and the cars electrical harness (most cars are wired for sound) on the other. It is HU AND car manufacturer specific, e.g. Blaupunkt for Tata, Kenwood for Hyundai, etc.
The GM showroom guys (there will be someone who handles audio installation) will be able to tell you where you can get one, if *they* dont have it for Kenwood. Kenwood is quite active in India, so the adapter "harness" shouldn't be a problem - normally HU manufacturers standardize their rear connectors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 498927)
That is an "adapter" which mates with the HU on one side and the cars electrical harness (most cars are wired for sound) on the other. It is HU AND car manufacturer specific, e.g. Blaupunkt for Tata, Kenwood for Hyundai, etc.
The GM showroom guys (there will be someone who handles audio installation) will be able to tell you where you can get one, if *they* dont have it for Kenwood. Kenwood is quite active in India, so the adapter "harness" shouldn't be a problem - normally HU manufacturers standardize their rear connectors.

All this means that im living in a pind(village). i have never seen a wiring harness 'adapter' selling here. i had to cut the wires to install my pio HU.

is there anyway i can get a new OEM wiring harness installed so that i can install the adapter? i dont mind replacing my accents harness to a new one if its not expensive.
cheers
clip

Quote:

Originally Posted by clipto333 (Post 499149)
All this means that im living in a pind(village). i have never seen a wiring harness 'adapter' selling here. i had to cut the wires to install my pio HU.

is there anyway i can get a new OEM wiring harness installed so that i can install the adapter? i dont mind replacing my accents harness to a new one if its not expensive.
cheers
clip

No, it's not about Jalandhar or Mumbai - the adapter is normally given by the HU vendors who sell 'officially' as well as OE to the vehicle manufacturers. The vehicle manufacturers and HU sellers collaborate much before the vehicle is released. It is not a large cost for the HU seller, but the elegant implementation leads to popularity, standardization and higher productivity.

The w/o B&W sets/sellers are catering to a different segment, where the above points are arbi-farsi. If not, they would have made the adapter (cost < 200/-), sold it for profit, and be praised for that. Ab utni magaz-mari kaun karega, haain?

Fiqar not, India is changing for the better haule haule! The first sign of an 'developing' country becoming 'developed' is standardization and quality consciousness.:)