Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2022, 14:19   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: High end JL Audio upgrade in my Maruti Baleno RS

Congrats on an articulate and impressive build!

I am slightly disappointed with your source though, especially after putting so much effort and money in getting the Sound quality levels up. Haven't you explored any other direct to DSP modes (than an Aux out from Phone)
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 15:28   #47

Re: Hign end JL Audio upgrade in my Baleno RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG_AK View Post
So, let's break down the damage (only for the JL upgrade):
  • C7 speakers - 1,75,000
  • C3 speakers - 44,000
  • XD600 AMP - 58,000
  • XD1000 AMP - 62,000
  • JD400 AMP - 24,600
  • Pioneer HU - 45,000
  • TwK-88 DSP - 38,000
  • Subwoofer - 85,000
  • Dr Artex 2.0mm damping - 10,000
  • Dr Artex 2.6mm damping - 23,400
  • Dr Artex Foam Lace - 7,000
  • Dr Artex VibroBarrier - 8,900
  • miniDSP mic - 9,200
  • System harness - 4,800
  • RCA cables - 11,460
  • Speaker wiring - 6,600
  • Power wiring - 3,000
  • Distribution fuse blocks - 3,500
  • AMP rack - 8,700
  • A-pillar pods - 7,300
  • Spacers - 3,600
  • AMP rack LED - 600
  • Labour - 30,000
TOTAL: Rs 6,69,660

This is my first every post on this esteemed platform and My oh my!! That's some upgrade onto a car which I supposed has lower IDV as of the date as compared to what you have spent on the install. ; I'd so love to hear this setup sometime in person.

Also, i have a couple of questions;
1. Have you considered adding this onto the Insurance Policy of your car? God forbid if any untoward incident happens, your investment (at-least monetary) should be safe.

2. Any capacitors to serve the current surge?

3. Any additional battery or a car battery upgrade? If so, then what about the alternator?

Pardon me if these have already been asked and answered.
singh.b86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 15:42   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post

I am slightly disappointed with your source though, especially after putting so much effort and money in getting the Sound quality levels up. Haven't you explored any other direct to DSP modes (than an Aux out from Phone)
The DSP only has optical in, apart from the RCA inputs. I didn't want to complicate things and considering the fact that the ROG Phone 5 has a dedicated DAC, I didn't see much use in exploring other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh.b86 View Post
Also, i have a couple of questions;
1. Have you considered adding this onto the Insurance Policy of your car? God forbid if any untoward incident happens, your investment (at-least monetary) should be safe.

2. Any capacitors to serve the current surge?

3. Any additional battery or a car battery upgrade? If so, then what about the alternator?
1) I will be adding it to the insurance when it's up for renewal next year, I can't make any changes to the current policy. I won't be able to cover the entire amount though as the IDV of the car is less than the value of the audio.
2) No capacitors needed. This is not a high output setup and the JL amps are very efficient.
3) No battery or alternator upgrade, everything is stock and running without a hitch.
ROG_AK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 03:17   #49
BHPian

Really great thread and congratulations on the crazy setup!, just a small thing to add,

Quote:
Wi-Fi streaming from ROG Phone 5 - After all this debacle, the solution was here. I noticed that when connected to wireless AA, music is streamed via Wi-Fi and not Bluetooth. This made a big difference in the quality of the output, almost at par with the headphone jack. There was a perfect balance between quality and practicality.
Lossless audio isn't supported via Wireless mode!, I had the same dilemma last year when lossless was launched and saw that apple's website documents that lossless audio can only be played via an aux.

Attaching the link to the article.
https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT212183

I would love to have a listen when I'm in Bangalore!.
dheer4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 10:16   #50
BHPian

Look maa, there's a car around the damping sheets

Awesome effort dude. Really impressed with your attention to detail in wiring, finishing, article writting. Seriously well done and hope you have a good anti theft mechanism too for this beauty!
Diesel_Drives is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 10:24   #51

What's the status of all the equipment (DSP + Components + AMP + Co-ax) that has been taken out to make space for this build? Is it up for a giveaway or grabs of sorts? Because I'd really want to get my hands on some of those equipment's.
Old 7th August 2022, 21:02   #52
BHPian

Amazing setup. I am sure it sounds the way it costs, but won’t such a heavy system drain the battery especially if you are driving at night with all lights and mostly the A/c working. Is the stock alternator good enough to maintain the juice in the stock battery.
Like someone mentioned get insurance on the accessories. Mention the cost with proof to your insurance company, only then will they cover it along with the car.
Safe drives !!
KKapadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 18:59   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheer4 View Post
Really great thread and congratulations on the crazy setup!, just a small thing to add,

Lossless audio isn't supported via Wireless mode!...

I would love to have a listen when I'm in Bangalore!.
Thanks just ping me when you are in Bangalore. Regarding the lossless audio, I did read the article when I was building the setup. I don't know what it is but there is a significant difference when I stream via wireless AA vs Bluetooth. I can only assume it is streaming lossless somehow and the HU also displays it as Wi-Fi streaming. The settings in Apple Music does have a Wi-Fi streaming quality option, does it only apply to downstream or does it work for upstream as well? I was not able to find any conclusive answer to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh.b86 View Post
What's the status of all the equipment (DSP + Components + AMP + Co-ax) that has been taken out to make space for this build? Is it up for a giveaway or grabs of sorts?
They have all been transferred to my friend's Figo unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapadia View Post
Amazing setup. I am sure it sounds the way it costs, but won’t such a heavy system drain the battery especially if you are driving at night with all lights and mostly the A/c working. Is the stock alternator good enough to maintain the juice in the stock battery.
This is not a loud setup and does not need any changes to battery or alternator. I have been using it for more than 6 months without any issues, this includes night drives with AC, defogger and projector fogs all on.
Old 9th August 2022, 08:40   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not an audiophile so can't say much about what has been used or what not. It may be a great setup considering the amount spent.

But if you ask me, this expense was a little too much. Spending so much on an audio setup doesn't sound practical when you could have used that amount for an upgrade from Baleno. For the same amount, you could have invested in a better and safer car (with sale of Baleno included). Baleno or for the matter most of the Marutis have very pathetic glass area noise reduction. Even with all windows up, you can hear people speaking outside as if they're inside the car. My intention is not to hurt you or other audiophiles, I'm sorry if this post hurt you but I'm unable to digest this. This post is not to criticize you.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 9th August 2022 at 08:43.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 10:03   #55
Senior - BHPian

That's one crazy setup. Congratulations, it really does look cool and I am sure it sounds great as well

Interesting about the wireless streaming option. Need to read more about that. I have been using my LG v40 (quad DAC- aux cable) with a cd tray mount as my music source.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 10:27   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I'm not an audiophile so can't say much about what has been used or what not. It may be a great setup considering the amount spent.

But if you ask me, this expense was a little too much. Spending so much on an audio setup doesn't sound practical when you could have used that amount for an upgrade from Baleno...

Your point is valid if the Baleno was the only car, which it isn't. When I initially got the car it was with the intention to make it my project car, which it is and will continue to be so till I'm forced to scrap it
ROG_AK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 14:34   #57
BHPian

Congratulations on the setup! Being an audiophile myself - Ive been on the pursuit of studio quality sound for decades. I've also spent so much money on trying out various setups and the know the grind.

Let me say that your setup is indeed fabulous. And the dampening is going to come in very, very handy. The installation is looking great and very well done but I do think the tweeter and midrange setup is slightly off axis. Tweeters really have to in the exact sweet spot to get the best audio. From the pictures, I suspect that the mid range is bouncing off the A pillar arc but could be wrong about this.

What I have realised is that tuning is almost THE most important factor in car audio set ups. Calibration and tuning is really more critical than the products itself!

Having upgraded my audio at Speedfreaks in Chennai - Details here (Car Audio Installation : Speedfreaks (Anna Nagar, Chennai)) I would really love to check out your set up man. Perhaps when I am in Bangalore next or you are in Chennai, we could meet up and you'd let me check out the sound?
thirdmainroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 16:37   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

And here I am, happy with a crackling (occasionally, ofcourse) FM radio!

Wonder if our ears are from the same facility?

Jokes aside, what a way to revive this section!

ICE section was huge at one point on TBHP, with some insane setups popping up every once in a while.

Please keep sharing as you go on with the upgrades - I refuse to believe this is the end of it.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 00:20   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) I will be adding it to the insurance when it's up for renewal next year, I can't make any changes to the current policy. I won't be able to cover the entire amount though as the IDV of the car is less than the value of the audio.
The IDV of the car will not matter in your case as the whole setup can be added on the insurance policy as aftermarket accessories and the whole setup price will add up over and above your IDV and can be done mid term in your policy by paying additional premium.

Two points to keep in mind though.

a) Ensure you have zero depreciation policy as then in case of a claim only the deductible portion will be deducted or else electronic items attract 50% depreciation at time of a claim.

b) You would need to maintain all the original bills of parts/costs of the installation.

Enjoy the music…
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 12:06   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
Congratulations on the setup! Being an audiophile myself - Ive been on the pursuit of studio quality sound for decades. I've also spent so much money on trying out various setups and the know the grind.
Thanks for the input. I wouldn't mind checking out Speedfreaks and getting their opinion the next time I am in Chennai. You can ping me when you are in Bangalore, I might be coming to Chennai at the end of the month but I'm not sure if I will get this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
The IDV of the car will not matter in your case as the whole setup can be added on the insurance policy as aftermarket accessories and the whole setup price will add up over and above your IDV and can be done mid term in your policy by paying additional premium.
Good info, thank you! I had called up my insurance provider (Kotak) earlier and they told me that it's not possible to make changes to the current policy. I need to dig a little deeper I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks