Old 21st June 2007, 14:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
- Hertz DSK165
- JBL GTO607c
- Infinty 4012i
- Alpine 10C2

And and you kindly point me in the direction of good shops in Bangy where I can audition
Not sure about Hertz and Alpine - Sprocket in Koramangala (halfway down Kalyan Mantapa road, big building on your left) stocks Hertz but doesn't audition.

For auditioning JBL / Infinity you need to go to Sound Factor - corner of Lavelle Road / Walton Road (corner building on your right if you come from Airlines Hotel side, past Shezaan). You have to *go* there - phones and sign-board are down for renovation. Preetham / Ashok are helpful chaps.
Old 21st June 2007, 21:45   #17
BHPian

Thanks DerAlte.

Will check them out this weekend..

Nimz
Old 22nd June 2007, 00:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My initial budget for my home setup was 20K for fronts and an AVR otgether. I ended up getting only the fronts for 2OK
Good, goood. You are a nice bakra for the ICE section

Quote:
So let me know the minmum budget and the HU / speakers. I'll start auditioning..
Nimz
If you have to settle for 4" coaxes in front and 6x9s in back:

Bare minimum:
HU: 7K
Fronts (4" coaxials): 4K
Rears (6x9): 5K
MDF Plank: 0.7K
Total: 17K

Better:
Fronts: 4K
Rears: 5K
Amp (4-ch): 8K
Wiring & MDF Plank: 3K
Total: 27K

If its not too much trouble, could you post some pics of the front doors and dash for us? And the boot too?
Old 22nd June 2007, 00:35   #19
BHPian

thanks Hydrashok. I have just booked the Spark and hence cant post pics and with the debate in my family whether I take a loan or buy it upfront doesnt look good either..

How about HU: 7K; Fronts: 4K only (BTW do you have any specific models in mind here?)!!

Wil it affect the soundstage. I mean in a home setup I dont prefer more than 2 spkrs because its in stereo that you get the best soundstage.

The ideal setup for a room would be 2 bookshelves and a sub. Similiar setup possible in a car?

I could always invest in a 2Ch amp with a preout for a sub (if such a thing exists in car audio.. pardon my ignorance if it doesnt).

And gurus. How can I get a good soundstage if am sitting on the right? Anything to do with the arrangement of spkrs?

Thanks!!
Old 22nd June 2007, 00:40   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
If you have to settle for 4" coaxes in front and 6x9s in back:

Bare minimum:
Fronts (4" coaxials): 4K
Rears (6x9): 5K
Total: 17K
This seems very nice to me...Hydra I understand I dont exactly live up to ur expectations when it comes to ICE but can u plz list some brands (probably the best ones as per u for that price range) for a n00b like me...
Old 22nd June 2007, 01:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I have just booked the Spark and hence cant post pics ...
DUH! I forgot you haven't bought it yet. I saw 3 or 4 today in Kochi, and I really like the way it looks.

Quote:
How about HU: 7K; Fronts: 4K only (BTW do you have any specific models in mind here?)!!
HU: Pio6950
Fronts (4" coaxes): Hertz ECX100 (4K I think) or JBL GTO427 (2.8K)
Rears (6x9" coaxes): Hertz DCX690 (5K) or JBL 937 (5K)

I wish there were some way of shoe-horning at least a 5.25" comp or best, a 6.5" com in the front doors. We could have done away with the rears that way.

Quote:
Wil it affect the soundstage. I mean in a home setup I dont prefer more than 2 spkrs because its in stereo that you get the best soundstage.

The ideal setup for a room would be 2 bookshelves and a sub. Similiar setup possible in a car?
To some extent. In the sense that if we have to use just 4" in front, the rears will be louder and fuller. And the fronts will be co-axials and not components. So not much can be done about the imaging. (Unless the stock location is in the dash and is firing upward -- but that brings other issues of reflection of sound off the windscreen). Some judicious fading will be needed to get it right. If amped, some filter-adjustment for the fronts and rears could solve it to an extent. Like I said a pair of 6.5" comps in front would fix all that.

Quote:
I could always invest in a 2Ch amp with a preout for a sub (if such a thing exists in car audio.. pardon my ignorance if it doesnt).
Yep. You can either take the RCA sub pre-out from the HU for the amp that powers the sub, or if the HU is very low-end, and has only 1 pre-out, you can split the pre-out withe a 'Y' splitter and use one for the 2-ch amp, and the other for the sub amp/other 2-channels of a 4-ch amp.

If you you meant that a 2-ch amp will amp 2 speakers and a sub that won't work. A 2-ch can power 2 speakers OR a sub. There are some amps that could do this, but it is not a ready solution. A 4-ch amp will be needed for 2 speakers and a sub.

Quote:
And gurus. How can I get a good soundstage if am sitting on the right? Anything to do with the arrangement of spkrs?
Well, a HU with Time Alignment can fix that (more and more expensive). At a low to medium budget and using stock speaker locations, using the balance (or individual channel gains in the amp) is the best bet.

And I suspect you know more about this stuff than you're letting on so lemme know when to back off

Last edited by hydrashok : 22nd June 2007 at 01:28.
Old 22nd June 2007, 01:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
This seems very nice to me...Hydra I understand I dont exactly live up to ur expectations when it comes to ICE but can u plz list some brands (probably the best ones as per u for that price range) for a n00b like me...
Same brands as in the above post

My expectations? No way, buddy! We all joke about that a lot, but ultimately the amount of money spent on ICE is immaterial here. Its the enjoyment you get out of it, however little you spend on it that matters.
(I drove around in a Maruti 800 for 6 years during my pre-working life without any ICE in it because I couldn't afford any, though I WANTED a good system so much, it hurt. So I indulge myself now, and I will for as long as I can).

And everybody is a n00b at some point or the other
Old 22nd June 2007, 02:32   #23
BHPian

^^^hey thanx a lot for the answers and I did a bit of googling (image search) about the things that u suggested and seem to like wat I see...thanks once again

P.S. dont seem to find anything about the Pio6950...can anyone gimmi a link?

Last edited by sabret00the : 22nd June 2007 at 02:36.
Old 22nd June 2007, 03:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
P.S. dont seem to find anything about the Pio6950...can anyone gimmi a link?
This may help DEH-P6950IB
Old 22nd June 2007, 05:03   #25
BHPian

Ok so the final list is
DEH-P6950IB (7k)
JBL GTO427 (2.8K)
JBL 937 (5K)

ok now the question is from where do I buy these things in Calcutta(ie. is there a JBL auth. store or something) where professionals can do the fittings?

I went to the FX audio site and found the only dealer in Calcutta as "GLIX"...well I'll try to contact them..

Last edited by sabret00the : 22nd June 2007 at 05:10.
Old 22nd June 2007, 06:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks!!
Don't - the better way is to first get good speakers and drive from the HU, and then add a decent amp when you have the dough. If you buy a 2-ch now, you'll never get to upgrade.

There are (rather expensive) ways of getting separate sound-stages up front for driver and passenger. But, imagine in a live concert or movie hall situation, you wouldn't be in the center always, would you? If you are able to 'hear' a spatial distribution you will relate to it like that. (Unfortunately one can't suggest "just close you eyes and enjoy" if you are the one who's driving)
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:16   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok so the final list is
DEH-P6950IB (7k)
JBL GTO427 (2.8K)
JBL 937 (5K)

ok now the question is from where do I buy these things in Calcutta(ie. is there a JBL auth. store or something) where professionals can do the fittings?

I went to the FX audio site and found the only dealer in Calcutta as "GLIX"...well I'll try to contact them..
Hey toothe, that's old non-updated info

Glix is no longer the JBL guy in calcutta. Look at the back of any autocar. The new guy is Pace Auto at Bentinck street or some name like that. you can call 22439219
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

Glix is no longer the JBL guy in calcutta. Look at the back of any autocar. The new guy is Pace Auto at Bentinck street or some name like that. you can call 22439219
Thank u Sam...will check up with this guy at Bentink Street shortly...most like I will install the car audio set up on the 1st week of next month.
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Really needs an update post haste, Sam, kuchh kijiye. And hope it is not assumed that everyone uses IE
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
And hope it is not assumed that everyone uses IE
Well till a few days back I would have forwarded this to the designer of the site but he's not here anymore. You could have argued with him about it - In Vain, I should add too!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks