Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:52   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
.....but the condom can also cover my 3inch dome midrange driver without any problem...

That was funny .. i read it in the wrong way 3 inch mid driver
Old 2nd July 2007, 21:22   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
why do Blaupunkt name their HUs after name of places?
BMW names it's cars 316, 318, 320, 525, etc... Honda calls it's cars the City, Civic, Accord, etc. To each his own. Blau (uses numbers too) but I guess they figure places have easier recall.
Old 2nd July 2007, 23:23   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
BMW names it's cars 316, 318, 320, 525, etc... Honda calls it's cars the City, Civic, Accord, etc. To each his own. Blau (uses numbers too) but I guess they figure places have easier recall.
There is always a bit of method to it (outside Japan, that is; in Japan it is the "exoticness" that counts, no matter whether the word makes sense at all or not; you've got to be there to believe it - I have a collection of pics that I have taken in Japan)

BMW: xyy where x is chassis/wheelbase size (1=smallest, 9=largest; Peugeot uses the same), yy is engine size (18=1.8l, 20=2.0l etc.; DB uses 3 digits for the same i.e. 220=2.2l, 300=3.0l etc.)

Blaupunkt started off well: the city name was supposed to reflect the luxury / lifestyle associated with it, the model number the set of features. Along the way the scheme went for a toss, since lower end models started getting better technology BEFORE the higher end models sometimes. Instead of renaming and having massive brand headaches, they have simply continued. They count on very few people to have long memories!!!
Old 3rd July 2007, 00:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
BMW: xyy where x is chassis/wheelbase size (1=smallest, 9=largest; Peugeot uses the same), yy is engine size (18=1.8l, 20=2.0l etc.; DB uses 3 digits for the same i.e. 220=2.2l, 300=3.0l etc.)
Yeah, but it's changing a bit nowadays. Now, the denomination does not indicate the correct cubic capacity of the engine in all cases. For eg. currently the 3-series (in the US) is sold with two versions 328i & 335i but both of them have a 3.0 litre engine with different outputs! (Albeit the 335's engine also has 2 TC's!)

Quote:
They count on very few people to have long memories!!!
And as always one can find some exceptions to the rule
Old 3rd July 2007, 09:30   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Yeah, but it's changing a bit nowadays... two versions 328i & 335i but both of them have a 3.0 litre engine with different outputs! (Albeit the 335's engine also has 2 TC's!)
and what does one say about the Porsche numbers 944, 911, etc....or for that matter Volvo or Audi...and Der Alte, even the US marques use names. Ever heard of a "Pontiac 308"?
Old 3rd July 2007, 09:57   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Navinji, the whole point was that, I felt disappointed that 'Mumbai MP26' loaded with less features compared to several others (although they say more performance, less money).
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and what does one say about the Porsche numbers 944, 911, etc....or for that matter Volvo or Audi...and Der Alte, even the US marques use names. Ever heard of a "Pontiac 308"?
You are right. (Coincidence? Pontiac Fiero was always compared (by Pontiac) with Ferrari 308 GT in the early 80's)

In a way, all (other than the American cars) follow an understandable progression [Porsche 911 (smallest) to 944 (largest, I think), Volvo S40.. S70, Audi A4..A9 etc.] to give an idea of increasing capability / price.

But then most Americans don't look into details, they only go by the imagery created by the dream merchants. And in that scenario model names get better top of the mind recall.
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:23   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
Navinji, the whole point was that, I felt disappointed that 'Mumbai MP26' loaded with less features compared to several others (although they say more performance, less money).
dhar you should have got the mp36 which is about Rs.500/- more only. i got a quote of Rs.8400/- for mumbai and Rs.8900/- for the maui mp36 which i am using now.
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:46   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Volvo/Audi's system is simple. They model them on size/segment with the smaller numbers representing the smaller car and so on. For eg. S40/S60/S80 for Volvo & A4/A6/A8 for Audi, their denomination has nothing to so with engine spec.
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:57   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You are right. (Coincidence? Pontiac Fiero was always compared (by Pontiac) with Ferrari 308 GT in the early 80's)..And in that scenario model names get better top of the mind recall.
And the Japs also have dream merchants...my point exactly "recall".

BTW I drove teh Fiero (with trepidation given it's reputaion to litterally "catch fire") and the 308 GT and trust me I did not see any similarities. The 308 was the first Ferrari (or super car) I got to drive and after a while in traffic I wondered why pople would pay so much for a car that made you work so hard. Besides with the 55mph limit (in those days) where in the US coudl these cars "strech their legs".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks