Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2022, 13:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Harman's new Ready Care Tech detects if a driver is stressed or mentally distracted

Harman has unveiled their 'Ready Care' technology at the recently held North American International Auto Show.

Harman's new Ready Care Tech detects if a driver is stressed or mentally distracted-harmanreadycaretech1.jpg

The new technology is said to be powered by a newly developed machine learning algorithm. It collects and processes data from in-vehicle cameras and sensors to monitor the driver's state and trigger responses to get the driver's attention back on the road.

Harman's new Ready Care Tech detects if a driver is stressed or mentally distracted-harmanreadycaretech2.jpg

The new technology from Harman comes with a few features, including 'Eyes & mind on Road'. This essentially monitors the driver's facial expressions, eye gaze and more via an infrared camera. While this is not new, Harman's tech goes a step further with 'Cognitive Distraction'. This feature deciphers if the driver is mentally distracted or stressed and initiates simultaneous in-cabin vehicle intervention responses.

The technology also works with different navigation engines to offer 'Stress-Free Routing', which, apart from the direct route, presents drivers with a more relaxing alternative to avoid traffic jams and other stressful situations. The Ready Care tech is also said to offer personalised experiences, resulting in changes to audio volume and climate control systems to help drivers relax and stay alert. It also detects drowsiness and anxiety in the driver and responds accordingly to improve safety.

Source: CarScoops

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 20th September 2022 at 13:12.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 13:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Harman's new Ready Care Tech detects if a driver is stressed or mentally distracted

Quote:
This feature deciphers if the driver is mentally distracted or stressed and initiates simultaneous in-cabin vehicle intervention responses.
Such as?

I would get very stressed trying to look stress-free to the cameras and suffer the very intervention responses that I tried to avoid in the first place.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 13:24   #3
BHPian

Re: Harman's new Ready Care Tech detects if a driver is stressed or mentally distracted

This is an especially important tech in terms of safety. Similar tech already available in but I am not sure of their effectiveness. Maybe someone who has used the tech answer this? This is IR based so it should theoretically be better to camera based that are currently available as an aftermarket accessory or in cars like XUV700.

There are a substantial number of accidents that are caused due to driver not paying attention or falling asleep and I am sure with tech like this, these can be reduced. The future is exciting with features like this and ADAS!
anti21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 09:53   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Such as?
Am sure it will eventually evolve into a vibrating steering, warning on the instrument cluster & an audible beep / voice instructions. Have experienced similar systems in some cars for coffee breaks or ADAS (when you veer into another lane).

Quote:
I would get very stressed trying to look stress-free to the cameras and suffer the very intervention responses that I tried to avoid in the first place.
Hahahaha! I am frankly not sure I want a camera inside the cabin pointing at me & my passengers. Privacy concerns and all that.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 10:36   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
The new technology from Harman comes with a few features, including 'Eyes & mind on Road'. This essentially monitors the driver's facial expressions, eye gaze and more via an infrared camera.
Besides the obvious and already stated privacy concerns, I wonder how this tech will fare against masks and sunglasses.

Frankly speaking, as much as I am all for any and every safety measure, I think no amount of tech can counter human stupidity.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks