Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2022, 15:01   #1
BHPian

VW Taigun | OEM ICE sound quality poor?

I want to sound out my observation to see if any other Taigun owners feel the same.

My Taigun 1.0 has integrated OEM system and whenever volume is raised beyond 18 or 20 points, some frequencies start ducking - most prominently the bass and mid. It feels as if system is not getting enough current.

I have tried changing the speakers as well, but the problem finally is with the HU.

To me it feels that all the equalisation happens by software and the sound card is not up-to the mark. The low cost hardware is being compensated by software - awfully.

The VW Polo system was leagues ahead in sound quality - clarity and thump both - I had only changed the speakers.

Showroom people couldn't help confirm if an amplifier can be fitted so that I don't have to raise volume beyond 15 to keep all the frequencies as per equaliser settings.

I am not sure if it is possible to change the integrated ICE as there are a lot of controls / settings for vehicle lights, ESC etc. are from the system itself.

I am willing to get an amplifier fitted as I already have upgraded to good speakers and would need advice from the gurus here.

EDIT: Just to add that I have tried playing through SD Card, USB and Bluetooth. The problem remains the same. The same music sounded full of life in VW Polo, but here I can't feel the same as raising volume distorts the sound by ducking frequencies. It's ducking and not muffled sound, if I am able to explain.

Last edited by codemarauder : 1st October 2022 at 15:03.
codemarauder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 19:22   #2
BHPian

re: VW Taigun | OEM ICE sound quality poor?

Over the years, forced by stiff competition, poor sales, and no appreciation from the majority customers, VW has gone from being in its own league to being relatively better.

the sound quality on the first generation cars was the best, the only drawback, feature wise the head unit was slightly dated. but extremely high quality nonetheless. I always listened music through a CD in my first gen polo and the CD unit never gave up or ever got stuck.

Gradually feature wise the head unit got better, and the speaker quality deteriorated. in fact, all deterioration started after the localisation move and to top it off the extreme free handedness given to VW India Management which resulted in the European Version and the Indian Version being two very distinct vehicles function wise.

interior wise plastic quality and overall feel, the difference had always been kept as come on, who would have spent 14 lakhs on a Polo 11 years back. Hell, how many people will spend that much even today.

Getting back to point, if you're looking for upgrade, you can even check if a TRoc system would be plug and play for you. TRoc is still sold in Euro Spec. But this would obviously be a very expensive affair. VW OEM Head Units have very hefty prices. But if you can change and have it coded via VCDS, it might even open up an array of features which probably might not be available right now.

A lot of features that people usually tweak via VCDS are available as simple selectable settings in the TROC System
Racer911 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 10:09   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Taigun | OEM ICE sound quality poor?

One of the main reasons I'd pick a Kushaq over a Taigun is the better ICE, especially thanks to that subwoofer. Music is a very, very integral part of my life. Door speakers are still easy to upgrade in the aftermarket without cutting any wires, but adding a subwoofer + amplifier could have warranty implications. And you don't want to lose warranty with VAG electronics or that DQ200 underneath!

Ways you could improve SQ:

- Upgrade the speakers in a plug-and-play manner

- Damping

- High quality digital files or streaming (paid subscriptions give you superior sound on all the apps)

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2022 at 10:11.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 06:58   #4
BHPian

I have already installed Hertz x165 speakers. I had the same in my Polo.

The problem is not with speakers or damping or quality of digital files.

The ICE is underpowered and unable to provide sound to my satisfaction.

To keep a certain sound level, it can't provide uniform frequency response and ducks certain frequencies. On raising volume beyond 18 or 20 (2/3 of max), if male vocals come, it ducks bass and if female vocals come, it ducks higher frequencies.

Equaliser is software driven and is only of little help as long as volume is below 2/3 of max.

Is it possible to install and amplifier as I don't need a subwoofer.
Old 1st November 2022, 19:36   #5
BANNED

I don't think just by adding an amplifier any change would be there. You may need to add a dsp and make the equalizer stuffs there. So unless you bypass the equalization done by the head unit, you may not feel any difference. By theory, amplifier does not do much other than 'ampliying' the voltage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks