Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2022, 21:58   #1
BHPian

Is connecting your phone via USB to the head-unit bad for the phone battery?

Pretty much the title. My car does not have wireless Android Auto/Carplay but only a wired one.

When I connect the phone with the head unit via a cable to access Android Auto, the phone also goes into charging mode. Is that safe for the phone battery? Given that the power drawn would be much less, does the affect the battery life or any other aspect of the phone in any way?
sen2693 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 22:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Is connecting your phone via USB to the head-unit bad for the phone battery?

Forget about time of charging and check heat. If it's not heating up you are fine to connect phone to usb and use it.

Most phones have over charge protection and some even have option to enable intelligent/smart charging that stops charging after 80%.

Heat is your best indicator.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 11:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is connecting your phone via USB to the head-unit bad for the phone battery?

Like mentioned earlier the temperature will be the biggest cause of concern. Happens due to the services being used like navigation, mobile data, Bluetooth and/or the ambient temperature rising inside the car with sunshine on the device.
IIRC I once saw my phone(Moto X2/Nokia 5 can't recall which one) with a red boundary on screen and some alert related to overheating and it shutdown. I noticed that the sunshine was beating down on it while it was connected via bluetooth and probably the navigation was on too along with charging. Temperatures outside the car could have been 40+ degrees.

Other than this the only impact would be losing some charge cycles due to the constant charging going on but hardly a concern.

Last edited by shancz : 8th October 2022 at 11:04. Reason: Typos
Old 8th October 2022, 16:18   #4

Re: Is connecting your phone via USB to the head-unit bad for the phone battery?

Mobile batteries have come a long way since the early cell phones. However it's bets to charge them with their own charges/adaptors as recommended by the manufacturer for long battery life.
In case of emergencies you can use any souce for short durations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks