Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2007, 13:35   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Sim Lim square you'll get conned easily and loads and loads of fakes. A better bet is Sim Lim towers who have more car Audio stuff this is opposite Sim Lim square.

Also, another good place is High street centre near Clarke quay MRT on north bridge road.

The cheapest more often than not is Naranjan trading on Race course road. No B&W but original stuff. Only thing very crwoded. It's close to Mustafa parallel to Serangoon road.

I would suggest to get from Mustafa and avail of the GST refund for expensive HU as othe rplaces you have to do a bit of running around for GST refund.
My suggestion (having stayed in Singapore for a few years) would be: Check out the stuff in SimLim Square and try to get it from Mustafa or Niranjan. Sometimes Mustafa may not stock the latest releases - which are available in Sim Lim. Niranjan is the cheapest, but he also does not stock everything that is available in Mustafa - and you have to wait for about 1/2 to 1 hour before he can get you the stuff from his godown (you can go there before lunch; place your order; go and have lunch and then go back and collect the item from Niranjan). In Mustafa you can be reasonably sure that it is not a fake.

Re. GST refund @ Mustafa, a few of my friends complained that they never received the refund. The easy way is this - if you have a friend staying in Singapore, then give that person's name and address as the recipient for the GST refund. Mustafa will post a cheque to your friend and your friend can go and encash that cheque across the counter from Mustafa's foreign currency counters after getting it verified from the GST counter. This process takes about 1-2 months. This is more reliable than getting Mustafa to send a foreign currency cheque to your address in India. Even if your friend does not give you the money :(, atleast it doesnt go back into Mustafa/Sgp govt's coffers .

The advantage with Mustafa is that you will purchase other stuff also from the store, hence reaching the $300 limit is easier there. Go to the GST counter on your last day after all your purchases. Mustafa charges a $5 service charge.

If you shop at Sim Lim, then you can collect the GST refund from the airport, but remember to get your purchases verified at the GST counter BEFORE you check-in (get to the airport early). After you clear immigration go to the GST refund counter after immigration and they will pay you the cash (there is normally a queue here as well).

The downside with this one is - as we read in the papers recently (re. the builder who tried to walk in with a few expensive designer watches for his politico friends), is if you claim a sizable amount in refund, the information is flashed to the customs guys in India - and they are waiting for you. Am sure Mustafa is also required to flash information across to the customs guys....
Old 3rd July 2007, 13:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
thanx for the reply gunman....am looking for a decent HU....zeroed in on a Pio 7950 as suggested by LBM. any other suggestions as I'll be upgrading to JBL 75.4 II pretty soon to run my 607C comps and 937 6X9s. for tube and sub i already have 301.1 II.
Panky, I dont think its worth the time and effort to buy a Pioneer HU there, that too a 7950. Its almost the same price here. If you are living close to these shops its fine, but if not, the cab will probably end up costing you more than the price difference between the rates there and here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Edison are known but there prices are substantially higher. They dont like haggling with tourists. Extremely rude. I just walked off and the guy kept shouting.
Hahahaha... yup! That's Edison. Though I've set them straight more than once.
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Panky, i would also advice you the same. There is no point really in getting a pioneer 7950 from there. There will almost be no difference in prices & this model is very much available in all stores here. Even if you save 1k, it is not worth it.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
Edison are known but there prices are substantially higher. They dont like haggling with tourists. Extremely rude. I just walked off and the guy kept shouting.
LOL.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 3rd July 2007 at 14:30.
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:34   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with Gunbir. Sim-Lim square is not what it used to be.
Speak to Kenny Tan at edison. Call them first - +6563374444

Speak to Kenny, tell him what you want, discuss the price and then go there, to the store. Don't stroll in like a tourist, pointing at products. People (especially Indians) waste a lot of time at Edison, almost never buying anything and the Hokkien speaking Chinese have a short temper and sharp tongue.

Happy shopping.
Old 3rd July 2007, 15:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

7950 prices in Singapore and Delhi grey would be like to be quite similar only Rs500 rupees difference will be there. also I you get the hu from Delhi it is easy to catch the shop wala if some problem arises in the HU.
Old 3rd July 2007, 15:28   #21
Team-BHP Support

I have strolled the markets in HK and Singapore. As far as electronics go Singapore and India grey prices are similar give or take a few hundred. HK is cheaper
Old 3rd July 2007, 15:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

thanks everyone for the suggestions.

any other model having considerable differences? somehow, I feel that US grey prices are way cheaper than Indian grey.
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
thanks everyone for the suggestions.

any other model having considerable differences? somehow, I feel that US grey prices are way cheaper than Indian grey.
any thing in particular...
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:53   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
7950 prices in Singapore and Delhi grey would be like to be quite similar only Rs500 rupees difference will be there. also I you get the hu from Delhi it is easy to catch the shop wala if some problem arises in the HU.
I could not agree more. Panky go to singapore, do your work, go shop for some stuff, eat at the kopitiams, drink Tiger Beer and enjoy the clubs.
Visit the Ministry of Sound, Zouk and many more.

When you're done with work, do visit Orchard Towers as well. It's a wonderful wholesome place.

Then come back and buy the Pioneer car stereo from your regular grey marketeers in north delhi, the ones who always give you a great price on JBL stuff
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Then come back and buy the Pioneer car stereo from your regular grey marketeers in north delhi, the ones who always give you a great price on JBL stuff
Yahahahahaha....
Old 3rd July 2007, 17:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I could not agree more. Panky go to singapore, do your work, go shop for some stuff, eat at the kopitiams, drink Tiger Beer and enjoy the clubs.
Visit the Ministry of Sound, Zouk and many more.

Wonderful advice Sam but you forgot the most important part, that Panty should enjoy Chamkila on the new HU
Old 3rd July 2007, 21:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
When you're done with work, do visit Orchard Towers as well. It's a wonderful wholesome place.
It is a must visit place panky. But beware, looks could be deceptive.
Old 3rd July 2007, 21:59   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
It is a must visit place panky. But beware, looks could be deceptive.
OT at 5pm and OT at 8pm is a big difference.
Old 5th July 2007, 10:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

yaar SAM, that guy doesnt has Pio....else he'd been my 1st choice!!
Old 5th July 2007, 12:38   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeh kaisa grey marketeer hai???? Doesn't sell Pioneer?

This is like a tailor that doesn't stitch clothes!! A barber that doesnt cut hair!! A Pizza hut that doesn't sell Pizza!! A plumber that doesn't enter bathrooms!! An underwear with no room for legs!! A chair with no back or bottom and missing legs!! A jeweller that doesn't sel silver or gold and hates diamonds!!! A dentist that can't bear to look at anyone's teeth!! A Gynaecologist that is afraid of cats!!

You get my drift.

Grey marketeer sells JBL, but no Pioneer!! Thuuu! And laanat also.

Most Viewed