Team-BHP - Speaker Upgrade for my Santro
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Speaker Upgrade for my Santro (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/26088-speaker-upgrade-my-santro.html)

I have a Santro that is about 5 years old.
The current system that i have has following components

Pioneer HU - 5650
Sony speakes in front near glove box and stearing column ( dont remember model nuber: were provided free by dealer)
Pioneer tweeters
Pioneer speakers (TS-A6981S) on the wooden plank.

I want to change my rear speakers. But i have following questions for which i am seeking some help from Gurus.

1) Does occasionally filling up your boot with luggage cause any issues to speakers. I ask this because i have observed that my last speakes started giving problems after i came back from my trip to wayanad. My boot was completely packed with luggage in this trip.
2) What are best speakers that will go with my setup.
3) Do i need to add an amp for this setup.

Thanks to all Gurus in advance.

@i_m_anaconda (baap re baap, kya deadly handle hai), it all depends on what you are planning to do.
* Do you want to add an amp or do you want to drive the rear speakers from the HU as you are doing now?
* Do you want to continue with the 'wooden plank' or do you want to put the speakers in boxes over the wheel arches (better results than the plank, and the speakers are always safe)?
* What is your budget (most important)?

If you want to see a dramatic improvement without doing much, go for a pair of JBL GTO937 or Blaupunkt THx 693 - but LISTEN to the speakers somewhere first before deciding.

Without an amp, the cost would be less than 5K. With the amp, you may need to redo the whole thing, which may require a budget of at least 12K without changing the HU (the questionable Sony speakers in the dash would definitely need to be changed if you use an amp)

* The amount of luggage in the boot won't affect your speakers, unless something is rubbing against or poking into the speaker cone. It just might make the sound a tad different, but you may not notice it with the road noise
What problems did you encounter with the speakers after your trip?

My budget is about 7-10K.
My first choice would be to drive the rears using HU as this would minimize the expense. But, if decent coax can not be handled by HU's built in amp, i can go for an amp also.
Can you suggest me a decent one for my HU?

The problem i am having with my speakers is that it gives tearing sound some times.

I would want to drive the rears using HU as it would be a cheaper option. But, if using AMP remarkably increases the sound quality i can go for an amp.
Can you suggest some decent amp for my setup. Also let me know what would be approx cost.

About problem with existing speakers: I get atearing sound some times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_m_anaconda (Post 493580)

a good 4 ch. amp would cost you 7-10K itself.

for now, just get the 6x9 a good pair will cost you 4-5K and then you can replace the 4" sony speakers with somethng nicer as well (cost 3-4K).

JBL, Blaupunkt, Hertz, Illusion etc. all will have something in this price range.

Does the "tearing" sound come with FM radio or with CDs? Or both?

What you described sounds like there is noise getting into your music ('static', like you get in landline phones in rainy season). The reason could be one of many - loose wires, bad grounding, loose antenna, ... A good installer would be able to correct the problem.

As Navin suggested, you could listen to different brands and decide which sounds best for you.

@Deralte, i think he is talking about the speakers making those noise due to not getting enough power to drive them, hence the cracking noise.

Anaconda, first try a nice co-axial and test them powering from your HU, if you hear the same cracking noise if you turn up the volume to decent levels then you better get an amp. I recommend the JBL GTO937, i have the same and its clean and crisp sounding.

Cheaper solution for an amp is Sony 222 ( 4K) and decent amp would be JBL 60.4 ( 6.5k) even better would be 75.4 ( 13K)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 493410)
@i_m_anaconda (baap re baap, kya deadly handle hai),

How old are your current speakers? Does the tearing sound only come from the front speakers.if so I suspect you are driving the front speakers with too much low freq. information. If this is true you could aleviate this by adding a simple "bass blocker".

OT warning: Actually Der Alte, Anacondas are rather shy and not really agressive (compared to say Cobras or Pythons esp reticulated pythons or "retics" as they are known). You can (under controlled conditions and with care and pracctice) handle a anaconda but dont ever thy that with a "retic". How do I know. Well my son is into all things creepy and crawlie.

I have a Santro and installed Pioneer HU (don't remember the model, it costs 10k) with Sony XPLOD rear speakers. It gives the sub woofer effect with deep bass. Since I keep this setting one of the speakers gives a hiss sound when bass is more. I have disconnected one speaker. I think with Pioneer HU, Blaupunk rear speakers should be good. I plan to change to Blaupunkt when the other speakers go out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 494176)
@Deralte, i think he is talking about the speakers making those noise due to not getting enough power to drive them, hence the cracking noise.

You are right, the HU would be clipping (to express it conversely).

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 494228)
OT warning: Actually Der Alte, Anacondas are rather shy and not really agressive (compared to say Cobras or Pythons esp reticulated pythons or "retics" as they are known). You can (under controlled conditions and with care and pracctice) handle a anaconda but dont ever thy that with a "retic". How do I know. Well my son is into all things creepy and crawlie.

Eeuugh, not for me, even if they were the friendliest of animals. I don't think I will get an answer for "Are you hungry?" from them. I'd rather give all those a wide berth with a "Sorry for intruding into your personal space"!

Sorry for not being able to reply earlier!

To answer some of the questions asked
1) The speakers are about 2.5 yrs old. Had bought it from grey market
2) The tearing sound is common with FM and CDs.
3) It is mainly from one speaker and that too when i am playing some music that has a lot of drums.
4) Yes, it is more when i increase the volume.

If it is problem of HU not being able to drive the speakers, i wonder how was it working for 2 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopinathann (Post 494354)
Since I keep this setting one of the speakers gives a hiss sound when bass is more. I have disconnected one speaker.

do you only hear the "hiss" when the bass is high? Is a hiss or more like a "phut"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_m_anaconda (Post 494630)
2) The tearing sound is common with FM and CDs.
3) It is mainly from one speaker and that too when i am playing some music that has a lot of drums.
4) Yes, it is more when i increase the volume.If it is problem of HU not being able to drive the speakers, i wonder how was it working for 2 years.

Over the past 2 years your speaker's surround has lost it. This sounds like a worn surround. This can be fixed but do not expect the same quality of sound as the orgiinal. If you can afford it, i would change the speakers. Still 2 years seems an awful short time for even foam surrounds to die. Are you sure you got new stock not something lying on the dealer's shelf for say 5 years?

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 495032)
do you only hear the "hiss" when the bass is high? Is a hiss or more like a "phut"?

Its more of a "PHUT"

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 495035)
Over the past 2 years your speaker's surround has lost it. This sounds like a worn surround. This can be fixed but do not expect the same quality of sound as the orgiinal. If you can afford it, i would change the speakers. Still 2 years seems an awful short time for even foam surrounds to die. Are you sure you got new stock not something lying on the dealer's shelf for say 5 years?

Not sure if they were on shelf for long time.
I think i will go for a change of speakers and would opt for a B&W this time.
How would Sony 222 and GTO0937 work with my existing setup?