Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2007, 15:15   #1

FM reception problem in Santro

I have a Santro Xing and recently upgraded my system as below:
HU: Blaupunkt Maui MP36
Front: BGx 402
Rear: GTx 693
New antenna as the old one was loose.

Now, whenever I change to radio and blow horn or accelerate, there is a hissing noise from speakers. With this noise, the actual volume level decreases - sometimes to inaudible levels. This happens in all channels, but least in Big 92.7 FM. I took the car to Hyundai to told that everything is fine, but the problem persists even after 2 visits.

Can anyone help me to identify what the problem is? My guess is this is a wiring problem. Should I ask the guys at the workshop as the audio salesman couldn't solve the issue.
Old 8th July 2007, 19:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Interesting problem.

IMHO the problem is not linked with blowing the horn or accelerating. Quite likely the antenna is not connected properly with the HU - maybe the old antenna was just fine, but the connecting wire to the HU has got cut somewhere. The dealer is looking at the 2 ends of the wire only, and never checked continuity. To the lazy dealer the logical answers are "antenna kharaab hai sir" or "HU mein to connected hai!?!".

Ask the shop guys to check the electrical continuity between the physical antenna and the other end of the antenna wire near the HU.

What you are hearing is the HU without the antenna. The stronger signals are working without the antenna, and the weaker signal is affected by attenuation due to buildings. We have the same problem with Fever 104 in Bangalore.

If you are getting a hiss or buzz, but the main signal sound is OK otherwise, that would be a problem of grounding of the HU. That is not the case here.

Last edited by DerAlte : 8th July 2007 at 19:52.
Old 9th July 2007, 13:08   #3
Team-BHP Support

change the antenna cable to your HU and tape it at the HU end. Some lazy installers dont even bother to plug it in right.
Old 9th July 2007, 14:04   #4

therez an antenna pin thats needed for BLU HUs(rs 150) its an interface bet ant and hu. donno whether ur antenna already has the pin...
you can go to BLU dealer to sort out this prob
Old 9th July 2007, 14:05   #5

I am again going to Hyundai on Saturday for this problem. Will see how it goes this time.
Old 14th January 2010, 06:53   #6
BHPian

Radio hissing noise in new ICE setup in Ritz Lxi

Hi All

I recently upgraded my Ritz Lxi with a new ICE setup. Its a simple setup with Pioneer HU and GT5 6" co axial speakers in the front doors. The problem of hissing comes only when I put on Radio and not prevalent when i play from the CD. When i told the dealer about my radio problem he mentioned that its because of the way the default antenna is setup in Ritz/Swift. Has anyone faced this problem before. Please help.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th January 2010 at 15:28. Reason: Please use Search and post in existing thread. Also check if you are in the right sub-forum. thanks
Old 15th January 2010, 15:28   #7
Team-BHP Support

I have a swift and have no issue with the stock antenna. Check if the antenna wire is connected properly.
Old 15th January 2010, 16:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have an i10 with stock antenna. My ICE is Blaupunkt Hamburg MP57 HU with JBL speakers (2 pairs - round 6" all fitted in the doors).

I have FM reception problem only for some stations. While Radio One (94.3MHz) is received very clearly, Radio Indigo (91.9MHz) is not clear. Hissing sound is heard on this station.

Is this normal in Bangalore ? Any way to improve reception for Radio Indigo ?

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 15th January 2010, 17:23   #9
Team-BHP Support

It is not very normal, unless you are in a very bad signal area (basement car park egs). Have you checked if your HU has any settings for the FM reception?
Old 15th January 2010, 17:45   #10
BHPian

Have you purchased the BP Hamburg in India or Germany? try manually tuning the station and check. The FM stations normally have a range of 35+ Km radius. If you have external antenna, ensure that the antenna cable is properly connected to the Audio Head Unit.
Old 15th January 2010, 17:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Very Weird Problem

Hi guys,

I am having a very unusual problem with the music system in my Swift. Apart from the hissing sound when the system is on OR the 'thup' sound when I switch on my headlights OR when I switch my music system off OR the minute 'tick' sound that comes from the speakers when I press the brakes; the most weird problem is that I get an unusual interference through the speakers whenever an autorickshaw passes by my car. This only happes when autorickshaws pass by and not when other vehicles do. The probem occurs whether I play my radio or CDs.

I know this may sound really silly but it is true. I am as it is fed up of the other sounds & now this is a new one. Need your help on all this guys.
Old 15th January 2010, 17:55   #12
Team-BHP Support

Its solid interference in your electrical circuit. Get it checked and rewired with proper grounding. Meanwhile what all you have in your set up Epic?
Old 16th January 2010, 16:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Its solid interference in your electrical circuit. Get it checked and rewired with proper grounding. Meanwhile what all you have in your set up Epic?
Hi Jaggu,

I had got the entire system rewired with Ground Zero cables from a professional installer about a year ago and the hissing sound and 'thup' sound when I switch the system off existed even after that but was told that something has blown off in the headunit which is the cause of this sound which could have happened when I first installed my system from another installer which were the official JBL store. The only solution is to get the headunit repaired/replaced.

The 'thup' sound when switching on my headlights started only after I upgraded my headlights to an HID kit. But this new interference with the autorickshaws has started recently I am running the following :

Headunit - Pioneer 6950
Front Comp - JBL GTO 606Ce
Rear 6X9s - JBL GTO 937
12" Sub - Infinity Ref 1200T but installed in a sealed box
4 channel amp - JBL 75.4 (powering the comps & 6X9s)
Monoblock - JBL 301.1 for the sub.
Old 30th January 2019, 15:39   #14
BHPian

Re: FM reception problem in Santro

I have the same problem too. OEM headunit of Fluidic Verna. FM reception is horrible. 91.1 is the only one I can listen to and even that gets distorted if I’m under a tree or driving fast on the highway. The other stations are barely audible with all the hissing noise.

Playing audio through USBs/via BT, the sound is absolutely crisp without an iota of distortion.

Finding it strange.
Old 31st January 2019, 14:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: FM reception problem in Santro

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
I have the same problem too. OEM headunit of Fluidic Verna. FM reception is horrible. 91.1 is the only one I can listen to and even that gets distorted if I’m under a tree or driving fast on the highway. The other stations are barely audible with all the hissing noise.

Playing audio through USBs/via BT, the sound is absolutely crisp without an iota of distortion.

Finding it strange.
It sounds like your system and antenna are not connected properly. Either a bad wire with a partial break/cut or not plugged it on one side. Simple enough to check. Just need to replace the entire wire or check it from one end to the other.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks