Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2023, 15:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

For its 2000s models, Porsche launches modern Infotainment units with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto

Customers of mid-2000s Porsche cars will soon get to replace their car's original 2 DIN Porsche Communication Management unit with a modern infotainment unit, complete with Android Auto & Apple CarPlay.

For its 2000s models, Porsche launches modern Infotainment units with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto-porschemediaunit.jpg

The German car brand has launched a new Porsche Classic Communication Management Plus (PCCM Plus) unit - a retrofit touchscreen head unit, with most of the modern functionalities. The new PCCM Plus unit is said to be a direct drop-in replacement for the old system. Also, being a factory replacement, the new units have been designed to have a perfect fit and finish, matching the original interiors of the vehicle. Porsche also says that the screens will have a fascia which suits the relevant model and blends seamlessly into the vehicle's existing dashboard.

In terms of the functionalities on offer, the unit comes with navigation, smartphone mirroring and playing media via USB sticks & Bluetooth. The unit also gets a trip computer displaying the relevant driving data, along with being able to store climate control and windscreen wiper settings, depending on the vehicle.

Reports state for the first time, Porsche is said to be offering units specifically for different markets around the world. Markets like USA & Canada will also get a version which supports SiriusXM satellite radio. The new PCCM Plus units are said to cost around US$ 1,476 and can be ordered through the company's dealerships. Porsche recommends getting the device fitted at its own dealerships or any accredited Porsche Classic Partner.

Currently, the new infotainment units are offered on the 997 Porsche 911, Cayman & 987 Boxster, built between 2005 - 2008. It is also offered on the first-generation Porsche Cayenne, built from 2003 - 2008.

Source: TheDrive

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 22nd January 2023 at 15:40.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 17:04   #2
BHPian

Re: For its 2000s models, Porsche launches modern Infotainment units with Apple CarPlay & Android Au

Porsche just made their timeless cars futureproof too :-)
QuentinTino is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 19:47   #3
BHPian

Re: For its 2000s models, Porsche launches modern Infotainment units with Apple CarPlay & Android Au

Being a luxurious car brand and offering these kind of upgrades is very good move from Porsche. In many cases the manufacturers can offer these kind of easy upgrades. But, I don't think any mass market brands like Maruti, Hyundai doing this anytime. They just want their customers to buy their new facelift/model and make more money.
Hawk4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 23:49   #4
BHPian

Giga-Chads.

The cost could be 2000$, people would still buy it.
Fantastic move. I only wish more manufacturers do this. I can finally start dreaming of my old and wrecked bmw with some good music.

Many people give up and install generic rectangular kenwoods and alpines for the sake of basic functionality. I can see many even switch back to the OEM solution now.

Good going Porsche, good going

Last edited by GTO : 23rd January 2023 at 11:04. Reason: Please do NOT use hard-to-understand acronyms (e.g. GG)
viXit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 07:31   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This is such a great move!
Porsche is truly far thinking. Their cars can last a lifetime or two if looked after nicely and do become sought after by collectors so this is eminently sensible.
Here is hoping BMW does this soon for retro fitting into all their cars, especially the Mini Cooper!
Only issue I see is that these apple carplay and android things may die way sooner than the car itself will!
Here are a contextual YT video on the subject. 1973 Targa!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd January 2023 at 07:33.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 11:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
For its 2000s models, Porsche launches modern Infotainment units with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto-20230123_110616.jpg

A Lotus Elise in India with single din Porsche classic radio.
Really brilliant support from a customer centric manufacturer.

Last edited by johannskaria : 23rd January 2023 at 11:10.
johannskaria is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 13:58   #7
BHPian

Ahh! Still waiting on these to really be available for fitment. Probably might order one to be fitted with the next service.
This is the only thing that bugged me in my 997Targa - lack of Android Auto. (it has inbuilt maps, but out of date now. They run off disks in the frunk. It also has a 2G sim slot for telephone calls. rofl.).

The old one looks like an airplane cockpit :-) The tons of buttons that the old unit has appeals to me too much & the newer ones have a much less cluttered look that I do not prefer, but well also need the tech to catch up a bit.

Last edited by anks_at : 23rd January 2023 at 14:04.
anks_at is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks