Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2007, 18:59   #1
BHPian

Which Set-up is Better?

Hi All,

I am going to be Dicored soon!! Yes, i am expecting delivery of my Indigo Dicor LX in next 5 days. Hence, this is the time to decide on ICE.
I looked around in Pune - checked with dealer as well as visited Poona Motors at Camp to understand my choices. I wanted your help in choosing the best option.

Here are the details of "what am i looking at":
1. Budget : Total 14-15 k
2. What do i listen to : Instrumentals ( From Tabla to Sitar to Kenny G!),Indian Classicals,Ghazals, Movie music and some good love songs (George Michael!)
3. 'Clarity' is more important to me than "Bass".
4. HU must have USB connectivity.
5. HU with AUX IN will be a plus.

Following are the options that i was offered from various dealers:

1. Blaupunkt : Kingston HU with 4 Blau speakers ( dont remeber models )
(approx 15k)
Kingston HU with 4 JBL speakers ( Goes out of budget )
2. Kenwood : HU KDC-MP4036U: 9900 with :
1. 4 Blau Speakers (approx 14 k)
2. 4 JBL Speakers ( Goes out of budget to 16 k approx )

3. JVC : .KD-G635 HU - 8000
JBL GTO series rear speakers : 4000
JBL Front Speakers (4") : 2000

I need your help in deciding the best option. Are these rates correct reasonable ?Also, let me know if there is any other available option which is better and fits in my budget. Punefolks, can you please let me know about best place to get my Dicor ICEed?
Old 11th July 2007, 22:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The HU is simple, I'd suggest the Kenwood or the JVC, listen and deicde. If budget is tight, go for the JVC, it's fine.

I'm confused with your speaker decisions. For example your option 3 lists a 4" option. I don't think the Dicor has a slot for a 4".
Old 12th July 2007, 13:04   #3
BHPian

HI Sam,
Thanks for the guidance.
AccessoriesAmbience

Out here, 4" speakers are also suggested as accessories , so i though that it should be possible.

Coming to HU, i personally liked features of Kenwood. But due to budget constraint if i go for Kenwood HU then i wont be able to go with JBL speakers. If i go with JVC on the other hand, i will be able to afford JBL speakers.

What would you suggest between these choices?
Old 12th July 2007, 14:40   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I'd suggest the Kenwood or the JVC, listen and deicde. If budget is tight, ....
if budgt it tight check out JBL's CS series.
Old 12th July 2007, 15:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh dear, yes the Indigo has a slot for 4". When I saw Dicor, I was thinking of Tata Safari, sorry.
Old 12th July 2007, 15:08   #6
BHPian

No Problem Sam!

The Indigo accessories suggest two options for front speakers:

Front 4"Door 5"

Which option is better?
Old 12th July 2007, 15:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad View Post
I looked around in Pune - checked with dealer as well as visited Poona Motors at Camp to understand my choices. I wanted your help in choosing the best option.

Punefolks, can you please let me know about best place to get my Dicor ICEed?
I recently got a friend's zen ICEd from poona motors since he was in a rush and couldnt wait to get an appointment from the Bhagats (the Bhagats are a father and son team and operate from their bungalow in Somwar Peth), the install done by Poona Motors was outright pathetic. The rear plank which is mounted on the hatch was rattling away to glory. Wires were just stripped twisted and taped. The speaker mounting screws werent even tightened properly thus leaving a gap between the speakers and ply.
I wouldnt recommend Poona Motors for their install, tho they give a very good rate when it comes to equipment.. (JBL 937 ovals @ Rs. 3800/- with Bill and Warranty)

If you are keen on getting a meticulous install done, you can go to the Bhagats in Somwar Peth.
Let me inform you that you will have to be very patient to get an appointment, and you will have to leave the car there for about 2-3 days for the install. Their installation charges are Rs. 3000/- for a basic install and I'm sure they can manage something good within your budget.

I've got my car and my Cousin's Alto (very basic Pioneer setup which sounds great within 10k) installed from them and swear by their work.

So the decision is yours when it comes to the install..

As far as equipment goes, you can listen to various brands within your budget (Pioneer, JBL, Blaupunkt) and then decide. But I think Blaupunkt is a good option considering the kind of music you listen to.

hope this info helps..

cheers!

EDIT:

Front 4": better sound stage in the front, less bass.. acoustically, a better option..
Door 5.25": better mid-bass but a compromise on Mids and treble..

Last edited by shrivz : 12th July 2007 at 15:35.
Old 12th July 2007, 15:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Kenwood HU is better for sound clarity and fidelity..anyways try to listen to the HUs before you buy..if possible..

Happy DICORING!!
Old 12th July 2007, 15:35   #9
BHPian

Thanks for the guidance Shrivz!

Hmm....Any contact information for Bhagats ?

What else will you suggest if i dont get appointment from Bhagats?
Old 12th July 2007, 15:39   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
I wouldnt recommend Poona Motors for their install, tho they give a very good rate when it comes to eqipment.. (JBL 937 ovals @ Rs. 3800/- with Bill and Warranty)

Bhagats - Their installation charges are Rs. 3000/- for a basic install and I'm sure they can manage something good within your budget.
Shrivz, it's wrong to compare a FREE quick install to a meticulous install that costs as much as the product.
I love the Bhagats work, I truly believe they are the most professional guys in pune. But this is why they charge 3000/-

Poona motors is simply doing quickly, what is expected of a free service. Most people will bargain and make them cut his profit margin, then expect them to install it for free. Where is the room for good service?? I can assue you, a few hundred rupees is not enough, to warrant a meticulous install. It is not worth their time or the salaries you pay an installer.

I'm not comparing the 2, but on the other hand you offered Poona motors 1000 rupees installation and labour charges (apart from the plank and wires etc) to fit the oval speakers, they would be very careful and meticulous I suppose.

You see my point here? People approach the Bhagat's, expecting to pay them for their good services. And they are very good services.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 12th July 2007 at 15:41.
Old 12th July 2007, 15:48   #11
BHPian

Dear Sam,

I'm sorry if my post made you believe that I'm comparing the two.. Well I'm not.

I said and I quote:
Quote:
If you are keen on getting a meticulous install done, you can go to the Bhagats in Somwar Peth.
My point was to make Pranav aware that there are professionals in Pune who do meticulous installs. Not many people know of the Bhagats, hence the above statement..

If he wants a cheap and quick install, he could goto any of the reputed Car accessories shops in Pune. To name a few: Poona Motors, Music Corner, Bafna Auto..

Also, just to point out my observation. Poona Motors has a lot of cars to install during a day, and to make sure every install is good isnt his prority. Moreover he doesnt have trained professionals to offer a meticulous install.

I for one would prefer to compromise on equipment and pay for a good install.
For example, I'd prefer having a clean install than a car which goes purr purr.. with each beat..

Last edited by shrivz : 12th July 2007 at 15:55.
Old 12th July 2007, 15:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I for one would prefer to compromise on equipment and pay for a good install.
I couldn't agree more with you. And please don't apologise, or i'll throw beer on you.
Old 12th July 2007, 16:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Front 4": better sound stage in the front, less bass.. acoustically, a better option..
Door 5.25": better mid-bass but a compromise on Mids and treble..
Hmm ...so, if i want more clarity with instruments, i should go for the Front speakers - is that correct deduction ?
Old 12th July 2007, 16:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I couldn't agree more with you. And please don't apologise, or i'll throw beer on you.

Now where's the Beer!!!???

Bring it on!!!
Old 12th July 2007, 18:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad View Post
Hmm ...so, if i want more clarity with instruments, i should go for the Front speakers - is that correct deduction ?
Yes, ideally and technically it should..

But it depends on your taste.. what you like..
Try and listen to various audio brands and see which one pleases your ear the most.. Don't go headstrong by what others say.. Take it as a guideline and then decide whats suites your listening taste..

TRUST YOUR EARS! as navin always says..

Most Viewed