Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2007, 07:30   #1
BHPian

Pioneer TSW-306DVC Sub + Blaupunkt amp

Phew mighty confused my brain has been hitting the redline too often since yesterday and looks like its gonna blow due to overheating !!! I am in a fix got myself a Pio 306DVC sub with dual 4ohms voice coil. My amp is Blaupunkt GTA spezial4 whose minimum required impedence for speakers connected when in bridge mode is 4ohms. Now I am in a fix in parallel connection of the voice coils I get 2ohms and in series I get 8ohms.

Situation is such that I can neither change the amp nor the sub. The sub installation manual says "NEVER connect only one voice coil of the subwoofer. The product may be irrrepairably damaged" the amp manual says "In bridged mode ensure the minimum impedence is not less that 4ohms. otherwise the product may be damaged". Looked around the threads in this context but could not decide what connection to use. Some says - series mode (Amp runs cooler) some says --One voice coil(bur the sub manual says otherwise) some says- individual coils to individual channels(some advice against it). Oh lord what to do????
Old 18th July 2007, 09:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifewater View Post
"NEVER connect only one voice coil of the subwoofer. The product may be irrrepairably damaged"

Some says - series mode (Amp runs cooler) some says --One voice coil(bur the sub manual says otherwise) some says- individual coils to individual channels(some advice against it). Oh lord what to do????
1. I dont see any reason for the woofer to get damaged by such a wiring. I have not seen the innaards of a 306 but I doubt it would get damaged just from using one voice coil. BTW is the 306 you got a 306C or 306F? Is it installed in a box? If so please post, I have an idea that I will share when I know this.

2. Untill then connect each channel of the amp to one voice coil. the amp will see 4 ohms per channel.
Old 18th July 2007, 11:16   #3
BHPian

[quote=navin;503543]1. BTW is the 306 you got a 306C or 306F? Is it installed in a box? If so please post, I have an idea that I will share when I know this.

quote]
Dear Navin it is 306C ( sealed enclosure type). I have got a box made of 1.27cu ft as specified in the installation manual.
Old 18th July 2007, 13:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

ok try this. bridge amp. connect it to one voice coil. leave other voice coil open. listen.

now "short" the second (not used) voice coil. listen again.

do you hear a difference. if so which one do you prefer. use it the way you prefer.
Old 18th July 2007, 13:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
ok try this. bridge amp. connect it to one voice coil. leave other voice coil open. listen.

now "short" the second (not used) voice coil. listen again.

do you hear a difference. if so which one do you prefer. use it the way you prefer.
(One has to visualize you with black robes, tall hat and white flowing beard, blowing into the fist and waving a wand mumbling words not comprehensible to lesser mortals!)
What would the resultant self-damping affect?

Nothing is affected if the second coil is left open - is only a small mechanical load - except the current carrying capacity of the VC.
Old 18th July 2007, 13:47   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest you don't bridge and don't short etc.etc.

Don't bridge. Connect each channel of the amplifier to each voice coil. Of course this is merely my opinion. These 2 old men here know more than I.
Old 18th July 2007, 13:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

All these old men are good for nothing.

GTA4 special is a 4-ch amp, right?

Bridge both pairs of channels, and supply each coil of the sub with each of the bridged outputs.

Unless you are using some speakers also on the same amp.
Old 18th July 2007, 14:31   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

4 different opinions!! Ha, if I was a newbie I'd have burst into tears!
Old 18th July 2007, 14:52   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
GTA4 special is a 4-ch amp, right?
I thought he was using only 2 channels of the amp.
Old 18th July 2007, 15:15   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Nothing is affected if the second coil is left open - is only a small mechanical load - except the current carrying capacity of the VC.
what you are doing is tinkering with Qes which would change Qts which would change the bass tuning.

Qes with one choil shorted would be lower and so would Qts and hence the Qtc will be lower as well. Now the rest is simple.
Old 18th July 2007, 15:24   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Connect each channel of the amplifier to each voice coil..
Sam if you see my earlier post I did suggest he can do this as well. The object for me is to "push the envelope".

Some amps push more current when bridged and while this can cause the amp to heat I think the Blau amp will survive that (based on my experience with the Blau PA 275).
Old 18th July 2007, 15:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
All these old men are good for nothing
Barobar chhe, @B&T-bhai. Come to the other sub thread, dekh lenge!

Quote:
Now the rest is simple
Sam can explain the rest (of late, he has been restraining himself from expressing, and the "Bolo tara rara" has climbed into his 'location')
Old 18th July 2007, 15:33   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sam can explain the rest (of late, he has been restraining himself from expressing, and the "Bolo tara rara" has climbed into his 'location')
Sam sometimes logs on using his whiteapple. when using a whiteapple sam is limted by it's (the whiteapple's) capabilities.

Last edited by navin : 18th July 2007 at 15:52.
Old 18th July 2007, 16:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Forgot the "Q" discussion on the other thread so soon? Open is like having no amp-damping at all (for that particular coil), while short is like making it as good as it can get.
Old 18th July 2007, 19:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sam sometimes logs on using his whiteapple. when using a whiteapple sam is limted by it's (the whiteapple's) capabilities.
Errr... umm... what's a "whiteapple"? Or is it something like the "CCBT" concept?

Silly old me, I even googled the term, and it doesn't seem anything comprehensible!

Most Viewed