Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2007, 12:05   #1
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Pendrive/External memory to HU?

Gurus!
I have a Pioneer P1Y HU installed in my Ikon.
I wanted to know if it is possible to connect and run pendrives/external hardrives etc.

Since external hardrives may not work as they need some power source(thats what I have heard), I am planning to go for Pendrives (8GB).

Some Questions:

1.) How to connect the pendrive to the HU.

2.) Will I be able to control it with my HU and will it display the songs I have in it. (as there is a list functoin in the HU)

3.) Will it work if I have other files in it.Like jpgs etc.?

4.) What modifications will I have to do to the HU.

5.) What will be the apprx. cost?

6.) By the way is something like this even possible on a P1Y??

I asked the accessories shop wala and he said he will convert the CD changer port to run ipod.
But I am not sure what he is going to do and whether it will even run or no.
I dont want to spoil my Unit.
Also what if I dont have an Ipod, will any other brand of MP3 player do? (but thats when the pendrive installation isn't possible. )

I need some other source than the CD to play my songs, where I can add and delete the songs as and when I like.
Burning CDs is too time consuming and irritating.

And other suggesstions?

Please!!

Last edited by SRK : 21st July 2007 at 12:07.
Old 21st July 2007, 12:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

SRK if your HU supports USB pen drives then you can connect the pen drives otherwise its impossible AFAIK. Also there are 2.5" HDD's which do not need extra power supply. And most of the USB HU's support only upto 4 GB of external drives.
Old 21st July 2007, 15:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Gurus!
I have a Pioneer P1Y HU installed in my Ikon.
I wanted to know if it is possible to connect and run pendrives/external hardrives etc.

Since external hardrives may not work as they need some power source(thats what I have heard), I am planning to go for Pendrives (8GB).

Some Questions:

1.) How to connect the pendrive to the HU.

2.) Will I be able to control it with my HU and will it display the songs I have in it. (as there is a list functoin in the HU)

3.) Will it work if I have other files in it.Like jpgs etc.?

4.) What modifications will I have to do to the HU.

5.) What will be the apprx. cost?

6.) By the way is something like this even possible on a P1Y??

I asked the accessories shop wala and he said he will convert the CD changer port to run ipod.
But I am not sure what he is going to do and whether it will even run or no.
I dont want to spoil my Unit.
Also what if I dont have an Ipod, will any other brand of MP3 player do? (but thats when the pendrive installation isn't possible. )

I need some other source than the CD to play my songs, where I can add and delete the songs as and when I like.
Burning CDs is too time consuming and irritating.

And other suggesstions?

Please!!

If you're looking at streaming the audio files on your pen drive digitally, forget about it if your HU doesn't support it.

As Abhi already mentioned, there are two types of external drives:
1. That run on external power supply
2. That run on the USB voltage.

Your HU does not take in any digital data since it cannot interpret it or convert it into analog (in simple terms).

If you already have a Pen drive that has an in-built MP3 player, you may try connecting that with a Stereo-to-RCA cable, which would of course mean inferior quality.

There are a few products which can transmit music from your iPod/Pen drive over FM. You may also consider them if quality is not your priority.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 21st July 2007 at 16:12. Reason: Addition was required
Old 22nd July 2007, 11:06   #4
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quality is the main priority for me.
I have tested the FM transmitter but I did not like the quality at all.

Does any one know if Pioneer P1Y supports such extra fitment?
Or I still have to stick to the good old CDs?

By the way what if I buy an MP3 player(other than ipod), is there any way to connect the player to the HU?

I am still confused.
Old 22nd July 2007, 21:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

@SRK, DEH-P1Y does not seem to support USB, at least not for file storage device reading. (There is a feature listed by which it can pick up the screen saver or wallpaper from a PC, and I suspect that would be USB based).

That would rule out using USB pen-drives or external HDD with this HU. The best alternative is to use something that is suitable for using over IP-bus. Not sure if it can interface to external MP3 players.

Perhaps @LBM can advise you on that - maybe there is an off-the-shelf solution.
Old 23rd July 2007, 21:19   #6
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@SRK, DEH-P1Y does not seem to support USB, at least not for file storage device reading. (There is a feature listed by which it can pick up the screen saver or wallpaper from a PC, and I suspect that would be USB based).
No this thing work with the CD too..Its like insert the cd push some buttons and done..Never tried it!

So that means I cant use any extra sources to play my Songs except the cd on the P1Y.

Most Viewed