Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2007, 18:51   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm afraid if you're on a budget, Pioneer grey is the best way to go. Kenwood HUs are pretty good and well respected here.

P.S. I agree that components will sound better, when amplified. But even without an amplifier i would still recommend using components, instead of coaxials.
Old 26th August 2007, 12:03   #32
BHPian

Thanks for the confusion!!

I wish there was some way I could just hook up my logitech 2.1 speakers for my computer in my car Could just fix my mp3 straight to them.
Old 26th August 2007, 20:54   #33
BHPian

On another note, would you recommend Sony HUs? They seem to be the most affordable with B&W. Since you are the JBL man here, and I am 95% sure I am going with JBL, what is the general view on Sony HUs with JBL speakers?

I am specifically looking at the Sony CDX-GT460US.
Old 26th August 2007, 21:30   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not a huge Sony Fan, but I am sure it will sound pretty good with the JBL speakers, no worries.
Old 27th August 2007, 00:06   #35
BHPian

I've generally not heard very much about them other than a couple of posts here that say they tend to give problems as soon as within 2 months - that's unfortunate, but I don't plan on going the grey market way, so hopefully that problem would be minimized.

Your aversion to Sony is on what lines? sound? VFM? durability? ease-of-use?
Old 27th August 2007, 00:15   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

My aversion? It has more to do with durability and quality. I personally feel there are better products available from Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, Blaupunkt etc at the same price.
Old 12th September 2007, 09:49   #37
BHPian

Bahhhhhhhhhhhh - irritated ...... a friend of mine got GTO637s put in the back of his Santro (and 4" CSs in the front) - not impressed. And it's not that I am not impressed as compared to other brands. I am just not happy with the sound. I suppose it doesn't 'bump' as much as I was expecting.

Now, I am not one who needs to do a "2 Fast 2 Furious" type sub-woofer party in a parking lot. But to explain it simply, my computer speakers give me a much better and fuller sound. And they cost about a third of what this setup will probably cost me.

Would adding an amp to two pairs of GTO637s make that much of a difference, or am I going to have to go for a sub?

(Also, one shop once demo-ed a pair of MTX speakers for me and they sounded hell of a lot more punchier than the 637s in the shop at least. How are those speakers?)
Old 12th September 2007, 11:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

veb.... I'm assuming that your friend has powered 637s off the HU.... if you supply total app 22W RMS or less to a 60W RMS speaker, what kind of sound would you expect?

Before proceeding to a 4 channel amp, do this:

1. Let me know which HU it is;

2. Reverse the wires on the speaker and see if you get the thump;

3. Still not satisfied? Audition it with a 4 channel properly tuned amp and change your perceptions. :-)
Old 12th September 2007, 19:44   #39
BHPian

For better of for worse, I haven't got into the knick and knacks of car audio systems, so the 22W RMS vs. 60W RMS thing you mentioned is something I hadn't thought of, but it makes sense.

He has the Pioneer 5990IB. I haven't decided what I want yet. Was thinking of keeping it simple and going for Pioneer 2990, but I don't if it's too basic.

It was installed by a proper place so I don't think the wires would be put the wrong way around. The sound anyway is not crap - it's just not as good as I had imagined.

So seems like you are recommending an amp, so two questions:
#1) How much of a difference would it make? (Say compared to moving from 2.0 computer speakers to 2.1?)
#2) What are my options as far as fitting an amp goes? I like my luggage space a lot, so any chance of fitting it under the seat? (Zen Estilo). Especially since all 4 speakers fit in the door.
Old 12th September 2007, 19:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Even if it was installed in a proper place, still for the lack of thump, you could reverse the wires to ensure polarity is not the culprit.

Adding an amp would give proper and sufficient input for speakers to perform at their best. I really cant comment about comparing it with computer speakers. Audition it and you'll realise yourself.

Options to fit an amp :

1. In the boot behind your backseat.

2. Under the front seat (some members have apprehensions about water spilling and damage - I used it for app 5 yrs with no problems at all; till date I'm using my CD changer under my drivers seat).
Old 25th September 2007, 20:29   #41
BHPian

Thanks, Panky.

There's one confusion that came about today regarding which size speakers I can fit in the Estilo. I was under the impression that all 4 provisions in the doors were for 6" speakers. One store agreed with this. The Blaupunkt showroom said that the front are 6" and the rear are 4". Somewhere on this forum I read that all four are 5.25".

So which is it?
Old 26th September 2007, 01:13   #42
BHPian

^ is there anyway I can just figure the speaker sizes out on my own, given that there are probably only a few people here with an Estilo.
Old 26th September 2007, 10:26   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
^ is there anyway I can just figure the speaker sizes out on my own, given that there are probably only a few people here with an Estilo.
Does not the manual mention this? WIth spacers one size larger speakers oftne fit.
Old 26th September 2007, 11:54   #44
BHPian

The manual only says that if equipped, space for fitment of front and rear speakers are provided. Customer care doesn't have this information. The service station confirmed that it was 6" in the front and 4" in the rear.
Old 26th September 2007, 12:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
The manual only says that if equipped, space for fitment of front and rear speakers are provided. Customer care doesn't have this information. The service station confirmed that it was 6" in the front and 4" in the rear.

yaar, best option is to go to a local dealer....select the 8" and ask him to fit, he'll automatically tell you what size you can fit without a jugaad!

Last edited by panky12345 : 26th September 2007 at 12:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks