Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2012, 18:11   #196
Senior - BHPian

Ground Zero MK2 GZTW 12MK subwoofer

I have a Ground Zero MK2 GZTW 12MK subwoofer in a 1 cuft sealed enclosure. The specs are as follows:
  • Diameter: 30cm/12"
  • Power Handling: 400 WRMS
  • Impedance: 4 ohm
  • VOICE COIL: 50mm/2"
  • Excursion: C MAX, 4mm/0.55"
  • Resonance Frequency: FS 22,5 Hz
  • SPL: 86,7 dB

I was running this off 2 bridged channels of my Blaupunk GTA4 MKII amp, which was supplying it with 160-175 watts rms (I think). However, this was in a hatchback and was perfectly acceptable to me.

Now I wish to install this sub in my sedan (Linea). So:
1. Is the existing amplifier sufficient to power it?
2. If I'm going for a 2 channel amplifier, what should be the minimum acceptable RMS power output that I should look for?
Old 22nd January 2012, 18:55   #197
Senior - BHPian

Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

IMHO you need not change the amp *before* tuning it in the new circumstances. Remember, you still have a lot of leeway in hand
* gain at the amp
* HU signal level, if the HU has sub signal control

If you are reaching 80-90% levels at the amp *and* the HU to get the same levels as before, it should be time to consider a change of amp. I have a feeling you won't need that.
Old 23rd January 2012, 01:11   #198
BHPian

Hello Gurus
My car's almost 5 months old and I have healed enough to think of buying a music system for the same.

1. Your Car: VoksWagen POLO Petrol
2. Your current setup (If any): None yet. Looking for a good HU (with the most easiest aka intuitive interface) and SPeakerss on all four doors. (am not a fan of amps and subwoofers) I just need to be able to use my usb drive and ipod with it. It would be nice if I can use the SD card too.

3. Your Budget: I'd prefer not to spend more than 10K
4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? - I ALWAYS DRIVE.
5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Pitbull, Usher, Black eyed peas, enrique, justinB, rihana, beyonce, ladyg, eminem, MJ, shakira,Jlo, akon, miley cyrus, zebnhaniya.......etc basically means i listen to anything and everything.

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : Not really.
Also I heard the VW polo has wiring done before hand even for the trendline model (mine) ! Is this true? Else please share what would be a good make for wiring. If possible do share a decent place in Bangalore where they can fix the set up for me. (i mean guys who know what they are doing and end up doing a neat job always.

I am aligned towards pioneer as a brand but again i really would like your advice on this. Please help on specifics on which HU and matchable speakers for all 4 doors. I was suggested to go for 2/3 way component speakers for front but i have no clue what would be possible for my budget! :( [i don't mind postponing rear speakers for sometime as long as i get a really decent HU meeting my needs above and also accommodating the rear speakers in future without the need for an amp.

Please help

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd January 2012 at 07:37. Reason: removing smilies
Old 23rd January 2012, 19:35   #199
BHPian

Any suggestion gurujis. Appreciate your feedback.
Old 23rd January 2012, 22:34   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apatel View Post
Hello Gurus
My car's almost 5 months old and I have healed enough to think of buying a music system for the same.

1. Your Car: VoksWagen POLO Petrol
2. Your current setup (If any): None yet. Looking for a good HU (with the most easiest aka intuitive interface) and SPeakerss on all four doors. (am not a fan of amps and subwoofers) I just need to be able to use my usb drive and ipod with it. It would be nice if I can use the SD card too.

3. Your Budget: I'd prefer not to spend more than 10K
4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? - I ALWAYS DRIVE.
5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Pitbull, Usher, Black eyed peas, enrique, justinB, rihana, beyonce, ladyg, eminem, MJ, shakira,Jlo, akon, miley cyrus, zebnhaniya.......etc basically means i listen to anything and everything.

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : Not really.
Also I heard the VW polo has wiring done before hand even for the trendline model (mine) ! Is this true? Else please share what would be a good make for wiring. If possible do share a decent place in Bangalore where they can fix the set up for me. (i mean guys who know what they are doing and end up doing a neat job always.

I am aligned towards pioneer as a brand but again i really would like your advice on this. Please help on specifics on which HU and matchable speakers for all 4 doors. I was suggested to go for 2/3 way component speakers for front but i have no clue what would be possible for my budget! :( [i don't mind postponing rear speakers for sometime as long as i get a really decent HU meeting my needs above and also accommodating the rear speakers in future without the need for an amp.

Please help
Option 1
Pioneer 1490UB HU - Rs.4400 /Kenwood USB HU ~ 5.5k
Front Component Speakers - JBL GT6-266C-5k OR GTO-609C 6k
Couplers For connecting the speakers & HU to the existing wiring Rs.300

Option 2
Pioneer 1490UB HU - Rs.4400 / Kenwood USB HU ~ 5.5k
6" Coaxial Speakers - GT6-S366 X 2 = 6k 4 Doors
Couplers Rs.400

I would favor option 1 since your car is self driven.You can add the rear speakers later.You would hardly notice their presence.
*Approximate Market Prices
Old 24th January 2012, 11:33   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apatel View Post
... 3. Your Budget: I'd prefer not to spend more than 10K ...
1. Get a Kenwood / JVC / Pio HU for ~5K. Ask around in shops and compare models, prices and features that you want
2. For ~5-6K, you can get JBL, Infinity, Auditor, Morel, Polk etc. 2-way components for the front. Audition each before taking a decision based on what feels good to your ears. Don't buy from anyone who is unwilling to give an audition
3. For the rear,
- Either put 2-way coaxials in the door, same brand as above. Will be ~3K OR
- If you want a decent feeling of bass, put 2- or 3-way 6x9 ovals on a plank replacing the OE parcel shelf. Should be <5K including the MDF parcel shelf

You can use the existing wiring to connect everything. If you buy from one place, they will possibly install for free. Look up the Bangalore directory for good installers.
Old 27th January 2012, 09:35   #202
BHPian

Hey Guys

I have been searching the forum for an answer to my problem but to no avail :(

My current setup is
Caska HU
Helix DB FOUR - 4ch Amplifier
Polk Audio Components
Helix Co-axials (rear)

Now the issue is that, the is whistling/humming noise coming out of the speakers and that increase as the RPM increase.
Its quite irritating when the volume is set to low.
The noise is not affected by the volume I set for the music, thus it remains the same if the volume is 1 or 20.

Please help me out of this misery.
Old 27th January 2012, 11:30   #203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Now the issue is that, the is whistling/humming noise coming out of the speakers and that increase as the RPM increase..
Alternator whine. Check your RCA connections. One of them is leaking.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 12:03   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Hey Guys

I have been searching the forum for an answer to my problem but to no avail :(

My current setup is
Caska HU
Helix DB FOUR - 4ch Amplifier
Polk Audio Components
Helix Co-axials (rear)

Now the issue is that, the is whistling/humming noise coming out of the speakers and that increase as the RPM increase.
Its quite irritating when the volume is set to low.
The noise is not affected by the volume I set for the music, thus it remains the same if the volume is 1 or 20.

Please help me out of this misery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
That, or another option could be to check the wiring. Your power and RCA+remote cables should be running on alternate sides of the car.
nishantgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 12:21   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
That, or another option could be to check the wiring. Your power and RCA+remote cables should be running on alternate sides of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Thanks guys . I will try to go to Driven today and get this fixed.
Old 29th January 2012, 23:37   #206
BHPian

Hey guys, these are my needs:

1. Your Car: Chevrolet Optra Magnum Diesel 2.0 LT

2. Your current setup (If any): Standard setup that came with the car

3. Your Budget: 50k

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? I drive all the time

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Rock, Alternative, Metal & a bit of dubstep, Electronica, Chemical Brothers, Dualist Enquiry, Aerosmith, GnR, BEP, Linkin Park, Metallica, etc.

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : Boot Space: Yes
Door Panels: No

I'm looking for a good 2 Din touch screen setup with Bluetooth & if possible maps as well. My friend suggested 1 component set for the front and 1 for the back as well - do you'll think this to be overkill? Amp will be needed but not a Woofer. I have an EDGE ED512 (EDGE Subwoofers « EDGE Car Audio) in my Swift, it will be a matter of a couple of months and the swift will be sold, without the woofer

Help appreciated. Also whatever is suggested, if you guys know where to source the parts from as well in mumbai, would be highly appreciated ^_^
Old 31st January 2012, 18:27   #207
BHPian

Hi all,

Need a quick advice on ICE for my i10 1.2. Its been quite a while i am driving without any music. Being my first car, Now i am having some Vitamin M to get it done . Budget is in the range of 25-30k.

I have one more option to get the HU. As my friend is coming back from US next week, planning to suggest one HU so that he can get it from there .

Searching mainly for 2-DIN as i10 is having the space to accommodate that.

1. Your Car: 1.2 magna i10

2. Your current setup (If any): None

3. Your Budget: 25k

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Drive by myself

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Rock,country,Tamil,hindi...

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : In a Moderate way

Please suggest the speakers and wires too 'cause i have not got any idea about the configs or brands .

What i need is decent sound (clarity matters without much of a base).

Is there any incompatibility if we get the HU from US ?

Thanks in advance for all !!
Old 1st February 2012, 21:46   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2drive View Post
Hi all,

Need a quick advice on ICE for my i10 1.2. Its been quite a while i am driving without any music. Being my first car, Now i am having some Vitamin M to get it done . Budget is in the range of 25-30k.

I have one more option to get the HU. As my friend is coming back from US next week, planning to suggest one HU so that he can get it from there .

Searching mainly for 2-DIN as i10 is having the space to accommodate that.

1. Your Car: 1.2 magna i10

3. Your Budget: 25k

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Drive by myself

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Rock,country,Tamil,hindi...

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : In a Moderate way

Please suggest the speakers and wires too 'cause i have not got any idea about the configs or brands .

What i need is decent sound (clarity matters without much of a base).

Is there any incompatibility if we get the HU from US ?

Thanks in advance for all !!

Hi all,

Things have changed quite fast as my friend has offered me his Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD 5.8" In-Dash Double-DIN DVD . In another words , i have got near about 20k for my speakers and other stuff.

Please gimme suggestions considering the above mentioned factors too.
I want clarity and not that interested in heavy bass.

Personally not interested to get the sub woofer as it will ruin my boot space .(I need that space as i often travel to kerala from bangalore).

Cheers
Old 1st February 2012, 22:26   #209
BHPian

Hi all,

I wanted some suggestion regarding the audio setup , details below

1. Your Car: Ritz Vxi

3. Your Budget: 10k

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Self

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Rock, Sufi, Bhangra, Bollywood

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : No

The Ritz comes with provision for the speakers in all four doors. For the CD receiver, I'm thinking of the Sony CDX GT44U (CDX-GT44U : Xplod™ CD Receiver : In-Car Entertainment : Sony India) and I've been advised JBL speakers.
1. Is it okay to go with the MGA fitting from the showroom or is after-market also fine?
2. Do the speaker provisions in Ritz come wired (with plugs) or will any additional wiring be required ?(I wish to avoid wire cutting = warranty void if aftermarket, old skool )
3. Any suggestions on the CD receiver brand/model and for speakers as well.
4. 52x4 output means 52W RMS right?
5. Speakers with a combined wattage lower than the max output of the CD receiver means max volume will cause distortion?

Replies and suggestions would be most appreciated to a newbie upgrading from a two wheeler to a four wheeler (hence the obvious lack of knowledge on basic ICE fundamentals).
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:20   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I was running this off 2 bridged channels of my Blaupunk GTA4 MKII amp,
1. Is the existing amplifier sufficient to power it?
2. If I'm going for a 2 channel amplifier, what should be the minimum acceptable RMS power output that I should look for?
2 channels of your existing amp will be about equal to most similar 2 ch. amps. Like DA suggested first try your existing amp. If you feel you still need more power look for a monoblock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2drive View Post
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
I want clarity and not that interested in heavy bass.
Personally not interested to get the sub woofer as it will ruin my boot space
If you are looking to preserve the boot you can make do with just 4 speakers. On your budget you can get components in the front but that would spil the stock look.

For a sound that has more HF energy consider brands like JBL's GTO series, Polk's db series and Hert'z Hi-Energy series. For a more laid back sound Infinity or Alpine.

You should get 4 speakers for 10-15k. 10k if you are looking at Coaxials and 15K if you are willing to put components in the front.

Finally a 4 channel amplifer (about 6K) wont take up much space and can help improve the sound especially if you like to crank it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamtiwana View Post
3. Your Budget: 10k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Option 1
Pioneer 1490UB HU - Rs.4400 /Kenwood USB HU ~ 5.5k
Front Component Speakers - JBL GT6-266C-5k OR GTO-609C 6k
Couplers For connecting the speakers & HU to the existing wiring Rs.300

Option 2
Pioneer 1490UB HU - Rs.4400 / Kenwood USB HU ~ 5.5k
6" Coaxial Speakers - GT6-S366 X 2 = 6k 4 Doors