Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 10:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

@.sushilkumar, please do search before posting a query. There are 4 other threads discussing the subject of USB in GP OE HU.
Old 15th April 2011, 22:55   #62
BHPian

I have a Wagon R with 6 X 9 clarion speakers on the rear parcel tray.These speakers were earlier installed in my palio and gave very good sound.But in the wagon R they sound like crap.The HU is alpine 9846E.Is it due to leakage from the boot to the cabin ?
And would making a box for the speakers help ?
I have a design in mind >

What do the you all suggest ? Or any modifications i need to in this box ?
Attached Images

Old 16th April 2011, 00:38   #63
BHPian

for SPL setup what is the ideal combination of amps?
2ch+ monoblock OR
4ch+ monoblock
note-i use my car as a two seater and nobody is going to seat at rear.
kindly advise..
Old 11th May 2011, 14:37   #64
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to a speaker upgrade for Honda Jazz.

The stock system is pretty good but I feel I can do with better SQ particularly at high volumes.

I am planning to retain the stock HU as it is very good IMO.
Just planning to put front components and 6*9 coaxials in the rear.

My question is -
1> What components and coaxials are recommended within a reasonable budget?
2> Is amp a must in the above setup?

Thanks in advance..
Old 11th May 2011, 15:21   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Adimicra, a component system will certainly add a much wider and juicer range to entire music spectrum.

1. Front components come in 5.5inch and 6.5inch sizes and not sure what is the width of Jazz front door size. Select whichever suits your requirement. Many go for 6.5inch even if it requires cutting the pads.

There are many brands like JBL, Infinity Reference and Polk etc.

JBL's are slightly warmer and Infinity is slightly shrill but, packs an amazing punch based on my personal experience.

Price range is usually between Rs.5.5K to 8K. JBL is cheaper than Infinity

And, Yes to get the full potential out of the comps, an AMP is mandatory. Get a decent 4-channel and use 2 channels for the comp and remaining 2 channel can be used if ever you decide to upgrade to a boom box

2. There are plenty of co-axials in the market. Listen to a few and decide what you like. Do stay away from Sony and Pioneer for the co-axial if possible.

Price range of 6X9's are 3.5K to 5K maximum

Hope this helps!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 18:50   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Adimicra, a component system will certainly add a much wider and juicer range to entire music spectrum.

1. Front components come in 5.5inch and 6.5inch sizes and not sure what is the width of Jazz front door size. Select whichever suits your requirement. Many go for 6.5inch even if it requires cutting the pads.

There are many brands like JBL, Infinity Reference and Polk etc.

JBL's are slightly warmer and Infinity is slightly shrill but, packs an amazing punch based on my personal experience.

Price range is usually between Rs.5.5K to 8K. JBL is cheaper than Infinity

And, Yes to get the full potential out of the comps, an AMP is mandatory. Get a decent 4-channel and use 2 channels for the comp and remaining 2 channel can be used if ever you decide to upgrade to a boom box

2. There are plenty of co-axials in the market. Listen to a few and decide what you like. Do stay away from Sony and Pioneer for the co-axial if possible.

Price range of 6X9's are 3.5K to 5K maximum

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the quick response.
I prefer a heavier sound than a shrill one..so would like to have something which provides a better and clear bass..(I know I need a sub for that boom-boom effect, but I can live without it for now). So you think JBL will be good?

Any suggestion for amps? My budget for the upgeade is not more than 15K which includes - front compos, amp and rear coaxials. I hope it is enough.
I heard that we can fit 6*9 coaxials ..planning to go with JBL ..seems VFM to me.

Last edited by adimicra : 11th May 2011 at 18:52.
Old 12th May 2011, 10:14   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
for SPL setup what is the ideal combination of amps?
2ch+ monoblock OR
4ch+ monoblock .
What speakers do you have. Speakers have a bigger effect on SPL than amps. A more efficient speaker say 93db/1w/1m will need half the power of a speaker with average sensitivity (90db/1w/1m) to produce the same SPL and 1/4th the power of speaker that is 87db/1w/1m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
I have a Wagon R with 6 X 9 clarion speakers on the rear parcel tray.These speakers were earlier installed in my palio and gave very good sound.
1. If the bass is less, check phase. reverse the wires on any one speaker and see if the bass improves.

2. check for air leaks around the speaker frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Any suggestion for amps? My budget for the upgeade is not more than 15K which includes - front compos, amp and rear coaxials. I hope it is enough..
15K will buy you 2 of those 3 items.

I would get front components and a 4 channel amp.
Old 12th May 2011, 10:49   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
15K will buy you 2 of those 3 items.

I would get front components and a 4 channel amp.
Can you suggest a few within the budget?
I am pretty much a novice in ICE and so it will be really helpful.

I am assuming I will be using only 2 channels of the 4 channel amp.
SO, what about the rest two? Are you saying that I can use those if I fit a sub later? Or I can fit those to the rear coaxials as well?

What are the points to be considered during installation?
Wiring? Damping?

Thanks.
Old 12th May 2011, 17:16   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am pretty much a novice in ICE and so it will be really helpful.
Ever since I sold my ICE'd Viva, I decided not to spend too much green stuff on ICE as it's pretty addictive and there is no end to it. Hence, I am not sure of what would be the current models.

Pick any 4-channel amp from JBL ( read product user reviews) and your good to go. JBL 4 channel amp would start from 7K onwards

Quote:
I am assuming I will be using only 2 channels of the 4 channel amp. SO, what about the rest two? Are you saying that I can use those if I fit a sub later? Or I can fit those to the rear coaxials as well?
Your right. 2 channels would be connected to comps and since you have 2 more left. Connect them to the rear coaxials instead of connecting through the HU. Better sound quality from the rear fill as well.

Quote:
What are the points to be considered during installation? Wiring? Damping?Thanks.
Keep aside atleast 2.5K-3K for a wiring set. This can make or break your entire installation. I used scoche and its good.

Damping is not required since your not installing a woofer. Get the installation first and if only too many rattles get the dampening done. Another suggestion ( only for heavy ICE'rs), remove the rear number plate and stick a paper which looks like a number plate.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 00:22   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What are the points to be considered during installation?
Wiring? Damping?
Amps: Kenwood, JBL, Pioneer
Components: JBL, Focal, Blapupunkt Thc.

Wiring will run you aboure 1K per pair and damping shoud run you 2K for 4 doors.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 16:20   #71
BHPian

@ all ICE Guru's

Would the JBL GTO3501 mono amp, be able to handle the Infinity Kappa 120.9w Sub??

OR

Which Amp in a similar price range as the JBL GTO 3501 (Mono), do you feel would be able to handle this sub comfortably.

I have the following installed in my SX4:

Bull 5 Gauge wiring,
Pioneer Touchscreen HU
Rainbow components W165 SLG F3 (front only)
Kenwood KAC 846
Currently the rear sound stage is empty
Old 30th May 2011, 22:46   #72
BHPian

Here I stand not knowing where to go from here,
1. My car: Corolla 2005

2. My current setup: OE HU in built (6 CD changer & tape player), this I want to change. Already installed the following;
1. Pair of Polk Audio - DB651 - 61/2 Coaxial - 60 watts RMS. for the front.
2. Pair of Polk Audio - DB690 - 6x9 - 3 way - 100 watts RMS, for the rear.
And bought but not installed;
3. Pioneer - TS - W1208D4 - Sub, dual coil, 1400 watts MAX & 400watts NOMINAL (RMS?) output.

3. Description of the problem: Please advise me on what Amp & HU should I go for with the existing speakers and Sub that I already have.

4. My Budget: Is about 12K for both, or if I need something specific to suit my existing setup I do not mind spending a bit more.

5. I always drive my car.

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : Boot space yes, but not the doors.

7. My Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Soft Rock, Classic Rock (Bon Jovi, U2 etc), party rock/clubbing type music when with friends (David Guetta, Black Eyed Peas)with occasional bouts of hip hop and R&B, wife likes Bollywood.

I have bought on impulse all these here, and I don't know how to put these together. And I cannot return any of these. I have tried seeking help on some threads but not much luck. Please help.
Old 14th June 2011, 12:29   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amps: Kenwood, JBL, Pioneer
Components: JBL, Focal, Blapupunkt Thc.

Wiring will run you aboure 1K per pair and damping shoud run you 2K for 4 doors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Ever since I sold my ICE'd Viva, I decided not to spend too much green stuff on ICE as it's pretty addictive and there is no end to it. Hence, I am not sure of what would be the current models.

Pick any 4-channel amp from JBL ( read product user reviews) and your good to go. JBL 4 channel amp would start from 7K onwards

Your right. 2 channels would be connected to comps and since you have 2 more left. Connect them to the rear coaxials instead of connecting through the HU. Better sound quality from the rear fill as well.

Keep aside atleast 2.5K-3K for a wiring set. This can make or break your entire installation. I used scoche and its good.

Damping is not required since your not installing a woofer. Get the installation first and if only too many rattles get the dampening done. Another suggestion ( only for heavy ICE'rs), remove the rear number plate and stick a paper which looks like a number plate.
Guys, thanks a lot for your replies.

I have not found time to get the stuff done, but hope I should find time this Saturday.

Initially, I was not planning to have a sub. But more I read about ICE, I think the sub is a must for good ICE setup

So, I have 2 options -
1> 4 channel amp and fit them to the front compos and rear coaxials.
2> 4 channel amp and fir them to front compos and sub. Leave the rear speakers as it is ( no replacements). Rear speakers to be driven by the HU.

I think the 2nd option is a better one. What do you think?
How much extra cost will it be (A sub instead of replacing rear coxials )?
Any good sub within reasonable cost ( I am already going to exceed by budget)?
Also, I am confused between 2-way and 3 way compos?
Cost for the total setup including installation,wiring, damping etc?

Finally, any recommendations about good ICE installers in Hyderabad?
Old 14th June 2011, 12:37   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So, I have 2 options -
1> 4 channel amp and fit them to the front compos and rear coaxials.
2> 4 channel amp and fir them to front compos and sub. Leave the rear speakers as it is ( no replacements). Rear speakers to be driven by the HU.

I think the 2nd option is a better one. What do you think?
How much extra cost will it be ?
Also, I am confused between 2-way and 3 way compos?
Cost for the total setup including installation,wiring, damping etc?
Yes get a sub. A good subwoofer will cost you about 7K with a sealed box.
Get 2 way components as most cars do not have pods to accomodate 3 way components and the installation of 3 way components requires some ammount of modification to the front doors and/or dash.

Install+wires+damping should cost you 6-10K

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
3. Description of the problem: Please advise me on what Amp & HU should I go for with the existing speakers and Sub that I already have.

4. My Budget: Is about 12K for both, or if I need something specific to suit my existing setup I do not mind spending a bit more.
For 12K you will get a basic HU (about 5-6K) and a 4 ch. amp (6-7K) where you can use 2 channels to drive the front speakers. But you will also need some money for wires (assuming you are not inclined to damp the car) and install labour.

If you do not need a CD player (if you primarily use an ipod or USB memory) the JBL 333 is about as a cheap a HU as you can get (about 4K). If you do need a CD player consider JVC as they offer good VFM.
Old 14th June 2011, 13:30   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Yes get a sub. A good subwoofer will cost you about 7K with a sealed box.
Get 2 way components as most cars do not have pods to accomodate 3 way components and the installation of 3 way components requires some ammount of modification to the front doors and/or dash.

Install+wires+damping should cost you 6-10K

For 12K you will get a basic HU (about 5-6K) and a 4 ch. amp (6-7K) where you can use 2 channels to drive the front speakers. But you will also need some money for wires (assuming you are not inclined to damp the car) and install labour.

If you do not need a CD player (if you primarily use an ipod or USB memory) the JBL 333 is about as a cheap a HU as you can get (about 4K). If you do need a CD player consider JVC as they offer good VFM.
Even I was thinking lately that the budget should not be a spoil sport for my ICE, I do not mind waiting if I have to. Can you please suggest me the best possible and suitable HU & AMP for what I have already bought, to get the best out of them. In the mean time I have been offered a used [3 months old] Alpine CDE-W203E [double din], for Rs. 8,500/- (negotiated price), how is the SQ, is it suitable for my setup, and is it worth buying at that price.

In any case I am taking your advice and decided to remove all stops for the budget, but want to get the most VFM in what I spend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks