Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2019, 13:43   #856
Team-BHP Support

Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysdome View Post
So here are my questions...
1. What components should I be considering? Keeping in mind I dont like my sound too bright. Budget 30K for all 4 speakers.
2. Do I need to add a 4 channel amp to get best out of these speakers? As I am keeping my OEM HU.
3. Should I also consider adding in a sub woofer to this setup to have the complete sound range? If so which? Keeping in mind fI am only interested in good sound.
4. Dampings are good but have had the problem of them leaking silicon all over the doors (it was a mess). so which company should one go for keeping the Delhi weather in mind to avoid this fiasco in the future.
1. 30K is a very good budget for 4 speakers. Look at Focal, Morel, DLS, Rainbow, Infinity, etc. All of them make good speakers.

2. Yes a 4 channel amplifier will help in getting the best sound from the speakers. The amplifier provided in the OEM HU (which you are retaining) will have limited power delivery and an external amplifier would do a far better job. Budget about 10K for a decent 4 channel amplifier from Kenwood or Pioneer.

3. You could add a subwoofer to this set up. A good 10-12" subwoofer with an amplifier would cost about 25k. The same companies that make speakers also make good subwoofers.

4. Good quality Butyl Rubber damping sheets will never soften, melt or leak. Dynamat Extreme is a good brand that is commonly available but there are several more brands. As long as the sheets are from Butyl rubber you should be good.
Old 1st April 2019, 22:23   #857

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. 30K is a very good budget for 4 speakers. Look at Focal, Morel, DLS, Rainbow, Infinity, etc. All of them make good speakers.

2. Yes a 4 channel amplifier will help in getting the best sound from the speakers. The amplifier provided in the OEM HU (which you are retaining) will have limited power delivery and an external amplifier would do a far better job. Budget about 10K for a decent 4 channel amplifier from Kenwood or Pioneer.

3. You could add a subwoofer to this set up. A good 10-12" subwoofer with an amplifier would cost about 25k. The same companies that make speakers also make good subwoofers.

4. Good quality Butyl Rubber damping sheets will never soften, melt or leak. Dynamat Extreme is a good brand that is commonly available but there are several more brands. As long as the sheets are from Butyl rubber you should be good.

Thanks Navin for your response.
Was doing a bit more digging and purchase over the weekend on the setup and this is what I have done..
- Brought Alpine PDX5 (5 channel class D amp)

- Brought 12inch JBL woofer with box
Nothing fitted in the car as of now.

So here is my followup questions...
1. The Speakers?? Do i go for 4 components or 2 Components in the front and 2 coaxials at back?
I already have the Morel Tempo coaxials. So will it make more sense to just 2 for the front?
2. Which components to get?? Unfortunately, i dont have the privilege to listen to these next to each other. The ones i kind of like are..
JL Audio C2
Morel Tempo Components
Alpine SPR

Infinity Kappa
{open to suggestions but dont want it to be too bright}
3. DSP needed?? Thanks to your article Navin now am considering a DSP too. Dont want it cost a bomb like most of them do, want to keep it under 15K. Think the only option out there in the Pioneer DEQ-S1000A. Is this worth addition with the setup i am going for?

Also is there any professional audio installers here in Delhi-NCR that could help me with the complete install? Know a lot of them down south but the way they make installs here is scary to say the least.

Thanks,
Souvik
Old 2nd April 2019, 03:13   #858
BANNED

Quote:
1. The Speakers?? Do I go for 4 components or 2 Components in the front and 2 coaxials at back?
I already have the Morel Tempo coaxials. So will it make more sense to just 2 for the front?
Front = Components
Rear = Coaxials

Since you have the Morel Tempo coaxials, why not get the Morel Tempo Components?!

IMO sound signature will be similar and complete.

Quote:
2. Which components to get??
Get the Morel Tempo Components.

Quote:
3. DSP needed?? Thanks to your article Navin now am considering a DSP too. Don't want it to cost a bomb like most of them do, want to keep it under 15K. Think the only option out there in the Pioneer DEQ-S1000A. Is this worth adding with the setup I am going for?
Good if you have, not a compulsion. A good DSP can help you do fine adjustments to the EQ, perform TA (Time Alignment), set the individual crossover points with different slopes (6dB/12dB etc) too for a better sound stage.

Quote:
Also is there any professional audio installers here in Delhi-NCR that could help me with the complete install? Know a lot of them down south but the way they make installs here is scary, to say the least.
I think DRIVEN is somewhere in Delhi. Look up the Team-BHP Directory for details. Link to that thread.

Have heard a lot of good things about them. Before going for an install, you can ask for auditions too. They may help.

PS: I have no commercial interest or affiliation with them.

EDIT

NOTE:
  1. Please don't forget to damp the 4 doors. Will make a lot of difference to the overall experience. You can try damping sheets from STP/Wurth/Dampmat etc.

2. Get a good quality 4 AWG amplifier wiring kit. If 'OFC' better.

Last edited by a4anurag : 2nd April 2019 at 03:18.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:08   #859
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- Brought Alpine PDX5 (5 channel class D amp)
- Brought 12inch JBL woofer with box

1. The Speakers?? Do i go for 4 components or 2 Components in the front and 2 coaxials at back?

2. Which components to get?? Unfortunately, i dont have the privilege to listen to these next to each other. The ones i kind of like are..
JL Audio C2
Morel Tempo Components
Alpine SPR
Infinity Kappa

3. DSP needed?? Thanks to your article Navin now am considering a DSP too. Dont want it cost a bomb like most of them do, want to keep it under 15K. Think the only option out there in the Pioneer DEQ-S1000A.

Souvik
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Good if you have, not a compulsion. A good DSP can help you do fine adjustments to the EQ, perform TA (Time Alignment), set the individual crossover points with different slopes (6dB/12dB etc) too for a better sound stage.
Souvik,

I think A4anurag has already answered your queries. I tend to agree with his opinion. Like he said, do NOT forget to damp the doors. I consider damping to be the simplest and biggest "upgrade" one can do to any car stereo.

The Pioneer DSP is certainly VFM but after I wrote that article there are some reports that it's sound quality is not that great. I have NOT heard it myself yet hence my advice is always listen before you buy.
navin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 20:09   #860

Thanks Anurag & Navin for your responses.
Yes damping will certainly be added during the install.

Kinda made up my mind on the Morel's (thanks for your advice)

The final question on the DSP still remains. I called up Driven and they mentioned the Pioneer DSP are not that great (more of a hit and miss).
So am really confused on the DSP bit (keeping in mind I really new to this space, never considered a DSP prior to this)
The options I see are...
- Pioneer DEQ-S1000A
- AudioControl LC7i
- Sony XM-gs6dsp (amp replacing the current PDX)

Let me know what would be the right setup here. Thanks again gentlemen.

-Souvik
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:09   #861
BANNED

Quote:
So am really confused on the DSP bit (keeping in mind I really new to this space, never considered a DSP prior to this)
The options I see are...
- Pioneer DEQ-S1000A
- AudioControl LC7i
- Sony XM-gs6dsp (amp replacing the current PDX)
AudioControl LC7i is a line output converter IIRC and not a DSP.

No much experience with Sony's.

You can look at Dayton Audio 408 DSP. Costs $150. Good entry level DSP it is. If you have someone coming to India from USA, get it hand carried. The User interface too is easy.
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:41   #862

Quote:
Thanks Anurag & Navin for your responses.
Yes damping will certainly be added during the install.
-Souvik
Call up Motor Concept while you are at it. They are based in Kirti Nagar and have a better reputation (or at par) with Driven.
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:21   #863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You can look at Dayton Audio 408 DSP. Costs $150. Good entry level DSP it is. If you have someone coming to India from USA, get it hand carried. The User interface too is easy.

Dayton makes VFM stuff. I have not used any Dayton parts yet (most of my projects are more "high end") but if one reads the Parts Express forum you find a lot of satisfied Dayton customers.
Old 8th April 2019, 16:07   #864
BHPian

Hi fellow enthusiasts, I had a small doubt regarding DSPs. I'm confused as to whether I should install one or not. I'll describe below my current setup.

Front Components: Flux Sporty 260
Rear Components: Flux Neo 260
4 Channel Amp: Focal Ap4340
Mono Amp: Rockford Fosgate P500X1BD
Subwoofer: DD612 in a ported enclosure
HeadUnit: Sony AX-3000

Based on my above setup would a DSP significantly improve the sound or would there be only a marginal difference.
Also if I were to consider a DSP can you guys suggest a few?
Old 12th April 2019, 09:50   #865
BHPian

Dear Guru's,

Need your advise on the below.

Recently I have acquired a 2011 (10th gen) Corolla Altis with company fitted HU and speakers. I would like to upgrade the following
1. Upgrade the existing HU to an Android HU with BT and Reverse Camera
2. Upgrade the speakers too.

My constraint is I dont want to stretch my budget beyond 20k since the vehicle is parked on the road only.

Any suggestions /advise will be highly appreciated.
Old 12th April 2019, 11:29   #866
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthjn View Post
1. Upgrade the existing HU to an Android HU with BT and Reverse Camera
2. Upgrade the speakers too.
In the given budget of ₹20,000, I can think of Sony XAV-AV3000 HU as an upgrade option that comes with Android auto, etc. On Amazon, it costs ₹18,000. What I'll suggest is, swap the HU first. Use it for a while and then upgrade your speakers when you can add up on the money for speakers.

No, if you want to upgrade the HU and speakers at the same time, look for deals on HU & speakers in the classifieds section.

Last edited by GTO : 13th April 2019 at 08:26. Reason: typo corrected
Old 25th April 2019, 16:15   #867
BHPian

I have a 2018 EcoSport Titanium + with Sync 3 infotainment system. I am not someone who likes to turn up the volume, and mostly listen to music around 8/9 (out of 30 steps) and occasionally going up to 12.

I am happy with the overall performance of the speakers, however I miss the low end. To complete the experience, I was looking to add a sub to fill in the low end and make the music listening experience more complete. I would not want to compromise much on the already scarce boot space.

While browsing online for powered sub-woofers, I came across the below three models. All of them cost around the same and hence has led to my confusion.
  1. Blaupunkt GTB 8200A
  2. JBL Stage 800BA
  3. Pioneer TS-WX300A

The Blaupunkt GTB 8200A/JBL Stage 800BA are both 8 inch powered sub's. The Blaupunkt is 75W RMS, while the JBL is 100W. Both of them measure around 10*11*10 inches (L*B*H).

The Pioneer on the other hand is a 12inch sub with 350W RMS, while not being very bulky measuring 19*12*14 inches (L*B*H).

Which one of the three should I go for? Is there any alternates would be work better?
Would sync 3 have a subwoofer output or i would need to get the signal from the rear doors?

Last edited by suku_patel_22 : 25th April 2019 at 16:18.
Old 6th August 2019, 00:49   #868

Hi All, I am Back
Thanks Navin, A4anurag and 5shadow for your inputs really did help with the setup. Thanks a million.

So here is the current setup.
Factory HU -- Mosconi DSP -- Alphine PDX5 Amp -- Morel Virtus (2 way comps) front -- Morel Tempo (2 way comps) rear -- JBL 12inch woofer
Yes do have double layer STP damping on all 5 doors.
Got all the fittings done at Motor Concepts (will add a review on it all at a later date)

Think the setup is quite ok, but am still not happy with the sound.
I am thinking of upgrading my woofer, looking for something with great SQ not SL, any suggestions? Am thinking for Morel Primo (would have loved the Morel Ultimo, but that would mean replacing the amp too)
So am looking for suggestions on the Woofer to go for.
I know the setup needs to be tuned (Aman, from Motor Concepts also recommends this) he recommends Jasdeep for the same.

So the tuning would cost around 6K, so should I look to change the woofer first and then go for the tuning ( logic says thats the way to go) or should I just tune it and see if it helps the Sound Quality.

Sorry for such a long note. Thanks in advance.

-Souvik

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM6James View Post
Hi fellow enthusiasts, I had a small doubt regarding DSPs. I'm confused as to whether I should install one or not. I'll describe below my current setup.

Hi GM6James,

Since you have already upgraded the factory head unit you do not need a DSP. The DSP is mainly used to improving the truncated audio signals delivered by the factory head units to protect a poor quality factory fitted speakers.
In my opinion you dont need a DSP, but I will let the experts chime in.

-Souvik

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Also please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th August 2019 at 08:37.
Old 6th August 2019, 12:19   #869
BHPian

Hello gurus,
I've WagonR Lxi 2007 model and would like to install a Android and Apple car play HU. Is this even possible? If yes, which models do you suggest?
I'm ok with procuring products from Aliexpress as well.

Please provide your valuable suggestions.

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 6th August 2019, 12:34   #870
BANNED

Quote:
So am looking for suggestions on the Woofer to go for.
I know the setup needs to be tuned (Aman, from Motor Concepts, also recommends this) he recommends Jasdeep for the same.
Get the tuning done first and see if it works out and makes the quality any better or not. If you aren't satisfied, get a better subwoofer.

PS: 'Jasdeep' in question I presume is Jasdeep Brar of BBW distributors. Correct? His magic should work and help you get the right tune mostly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks