Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2022, 10:58   #946
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
.. and rear ones are coaxial ones.

Do it make sense to add these oval Alpine ones to the rear parcel tray? My installer says power will be drawn from the rear speaker's power source from the amp.
Power to the speakers, and hence output will be divided between the four speakers while the amp is driving only one set. Hence it doesnt make sense to Add these 6x9's.

But the question I want to ask you is - why do you want to add these 6x9's ? The amp driven rear coaxial speakers should get enough output. If it is not, then get the amp checked, and the speakers to.

If you only want to put the rear speakers to use then you may need to get another car which does not have rear speakers, or give away these speakers to someone who can use it
Old 27th September 2022, 11:29   #947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
give away these speakers to someone who can use it
Understood I removed these speakers from our old car before we sold it and completely forgot about it! Found them couple of days back hence the doubt. Will give them away to my friend in that case.

Thanks.
Old 30th September 2022, 20:01   #948

Hi Experts!

I just got the delivery of brand new MS XL6 Alpha+ MT and I am not really happy with the audio quality of the stock speaker setup. I am hoping to gain from your experience for upgrading the stock components.

Listing down my requirements here and will be highly appreciative for all your inputs and suggestions:

1. Car: Maruti Suzuki XL6
2. Budget: Max INR 50,000
3. Requirement: Better sound clarity and soundstage. I like clear mids, well spread soundstage and deep bass that doesn’t overpower mids and highs.
4. Planned upgrades: Thinking to keep the same stock HU and upgrade the components and adding an amplifier to drive it. Also, adding damping sheets to all 4 doors and boot door.
5. Special Considerations: Don’t feel the comfortable with drilling the plastic panels for tweeters. Front ones can be fixed in stock space for tweeters, but there’s no such option in rear door panels.
6. Options: Now, this is where I don’t have any idea except the name of a few brands. I am an audiophile, but with zero knowledge in car audio systems. My thought is that it’s a good idea to go with the top-end of a lower brand than the low-end offering of a higher brand. I am not comfortable going with the shopkeepers suggestions either because of some lessons learnt in the past.

Request the expert members to suggest the combinations that i can go for. Shall be highly appreciative of all inputs.
Old 3rd October 2022, 11:09   #949
BHPian

Re: Harman Kardon Drive Play Display

Team - I own a 2019 Hexa XTA which came with a 7inch touchscreen Harman unit. All of a sudden, I am facing a weird humming noise from speakers and tweeter whenever the key is inserted into ignition. The Sound increases as soon as I crank the engine and can hear engine noise and revv noise through speakers.

Went to Rudra Motors TASS for diagnosis purpose, kept the car with them for more than a day, still they are not able to do an appropriate diagnosis and concluded that its an issue with music system citing they tried installing another 2017/1028 Hexa unit (old 5inch unit with physical buttons) and confirmed that sound is not coming after installing other system.

Unfortunately, I was not physically available over there when they conducted this test and car was already assembled back to its original unit by the time I could reach ASS and have to take their word as is.

Further more, They have the following suggestion
1. Replace the entire Harman unit which might cost be more than 50-75K, as the existing system cannot be repaired or at least they don't have the expertise to get it repaired.
2. Get an after market android unit installed.

Need suggestion to take this issue with TATA\Harman higher management, as this is completely unacceptable for such a flagship premium product. Also, does anyone have good reference for expert car audio technician in Pune who can help me with this diagnosis and repair if possible.
Old 3rd October 2022, 11:20   #950
Team-BHP Support

Re: Harman Kardon Drive Play Display

Try grounding the metal part of your Audio system to the car chassis. If that does not work, consider adding a capacitor to the input line. Any Audio dealer can fix this issue.

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd October 2022 at 11:28.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 01:43   #951
BHPian

I am not keen on adding a power line to battery from amp and woofer. Can i power amp and woofer with 12v socket in boot? Maybe use a step charger to convert 12v to 220v or some other solutions?

I just bought Tucson and find it lacking in low bass. Can i just replace factory sub with aftermarket sub without any invasive install?

I need a minimal way to get sub, amp and components installed, also in Delhi unable to find any trusted installer. All installers keep recommending brands that have huge profits.
Old 14th December 2022, 17:04   #952
BHPian

Hi Car Gurus,

I am contemplating getting the 8-inch DS18 ZR 8.2 subwoofer in exchange for the Sundown 6.5 that I am using.

Is that the right choice to make? Any idea how much the DS18 retails for? I am asked 18K for the sub.
Old 30th December 2022, 15:39   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Folks, need some help with my existing setup. On my Ford Figo I have an about 8yr old setup with Infinity comps up front, amp and a sub. Rear door stock speakers directly from HU. The amp (groundzero) takes the direct HL HU inputs. Offlate for last few months I am noticing that front left speaker has some occasional static which has no pattern. Sometimes its very mild and at times very audible and jarring.

I disconnected the HU HL inputs to the amp but that didnt make a difference so its surely somewhere between amp and speakers. I opened the door pads and checked all the speaker connections, nothing seemed off. Only thing I didnt do was check the component signal splitter since I had sealed it completely to avoid water related issues. Could that be causing it or it could be an amp issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantuchil View Post
Have you tried switching the Left and Right channels in the Amp. This will help isolate the issue (If the problem is with the speakers or the Amp).
Refreshing the story. Experts, need an advice related to my Figo's existing 8yr old ICE setup. The setup is basically a 4 channel ground zero amp fed by stock HU hi level signals with 2 channels (CH1/2) driving the components on the front, and 2 channels (CH3/4) bridged to drive a sealed 10inch sub. Rear door speakers are directly hooked to HU and just fill in of sorts.

Since last few months I had been getting lot of random static from the front left door speakers. It has no connection to volume, or input signal. Just comes and goes randomly at different volumes something like sparking or cracking. INitially I thought it was a wiring issue and I opened door to check all connections and issue didnt go away. Today I swapped the speaker connections at the amp and basically root caused the problem to the CH1 output of the amp. The moment amp gets powered it starts to give static on that channel randomly. Possible some component issue on the inside.

Since Figo is our 2nd car and sparingly used after my wife stopped working, the only time its used is pickup/drop of my daughter from school which is less than a km away. I am not too keen on spending time for getting amp fixed or getting a new one. I see 2 easy options for the time being.

Option 1 ( what I did for now) - Short Channel - 2 output to both front components and live with mono output on the front. Livable solution for the time being and limited effort. Any amp concerns with this?

Option 2 - Use good channel 3 and 4 currently bridged for sub to drive the front components and use good CHannel2 for the sub. I understand the power to drive might be lesser for sub but I am no bass head and as long as I get a good foundation, it should be ok. This allows proper stereo sound stage on front with ok sub output. Thoughts on this option? any concerns again with driving single CH to sub?
Old 27th February 2023, 22:14   #954

Hello TBHPians !

I have a 2019 Fortuner AT 2WD.

The idle stop start stopped working some time back.

The battery is new and charging fine.

Unable to understand the problem.

Please advise!

Thank you in advance!
Old 18th March 2023, 08:29   #955
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I myself will say that the question I am asking here has been answered in one of the car audio threads, may be in this thread itself, and quite likely multiple times. But I dont know where

Trying to select component speakers.
1) Which line of speakers to chose if priority is clarity over loudness ?

2) Will a speaker with 60W RMS and 120W peak, 90dB sensitivity be sufficient for a large car, when driven by an amplifier ?
The speaker in Q is Focal Access 165AS

I was able to find a review of Infinity Kappa vs Alpine R. Kappa for clarity, Alpine for loudness, it said.
Old 20th July 2023, 18:32   #956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

2) Will a speaker with 60W RMS and 120W peak, 90dB sensitivity be sufficient for a large car, when driven by an amplifier ?
The speaker in Q is Focal Access 165AS
60W RMS for a speaker with 90db sensitivity will result in 117dB which is close to the limit of safe hearing (120). a 93dB speaker will put you right at the limit.

You can go louder, but you are going into competition territory. Also am assuming that none of the occupants will be more than 1m away from the nearest speaker.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 19:32   #957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
You can go louder, but you are going into competition territory. Also am assuming that none of the occupants will be more than 1m away from the nearest speaker.
Thanks, Greenhorn.

Now Kahani mein twist. The Diamond Audio speakers turned out to be good, though now singing since 10 years. What had happened was, the cover over the cones had come loose and was vibrating against the element. Discovering this saved me almost 20k . Hopefully, it will hold.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 21:47   #958
BHPian

has been a godsend trying to understand how to get a clean fitment in my car without extra trim rings.
Old 18th December 2023, 00:57   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuisha110HP View Post
Hi Car Gurus,

I am contemplating getting the 8-inch DS18 ZR 8.2 subwoofer in exchange for the Sundown 6.5 that I am using.

Is that the right choice to make? Any idea how much the DS18 retails for? I am asked 18K for the sub.
Why don't you go for DD Audio 608 instead? Im considering that myself.
Old 31st December 2023, 00:11   #960

Hi, I am planning to upgrade the OEM speakers in my Renault Kiger RXZ. Although the default system was okayish which was Arkamys tuned system I still have issues with door vibration and vocals not so clear in mid to high volume. The bass is also lacking and not up to the mark. I also have a few issues with the car regarding the sounds while cruising and loose door panels. Many times I have been to the SC regarding the same but they couldn't solve the issue.

I now plan to get a few upgrades in regards to my audio setup which includes.

1. Damping of all 4 doors including the boot and bonnet.

2. Upgrade the stock audio system with component speakers and amp.

Now I have a few issues,

- Renault has given a tweeter in the rear door panel. I do not want to exclude the usage of the rear tweeter. So can I install

a. Coaxial on the front and Component speakers on the rear.

b. Component speakers with tweeters in the sail panel on the front and Component Speakers on the rear. Should I need to get an amp if I have to install component speakers on all the doors?

My budget is very limited for the upgrade around 20-30k including damping and speakers. What are the best options I could get? I am planning to get the component speakers of the make - DD audio RL C 6.5 component speakers or Morel Maximo 6 MK II 6.5 which falls in my budget.

If I have to install the coaxials I am planning for the same brands.

Another brand in consideration is MTX audio which I am getting at sub 10k for both component and coaxial ones.
For damping I am planning to get the STP damping sheets.
I am not sure about the amp, and I would be grateful if you could help me with one if needed.

Thank you
regards

Last edited by Eddy : 31st December 2023 at 01:22. Reason: Spacing for better readability

Most Viewed