Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2007, 14:24   #1

Listen to car stereo with engine OFF?

Does it 'damage' the car in some way if you listen to your stereo without actually turning on your engine? because i do it sometimes while i'm waiting for people and whatnot, and i was just wondering.

Thanks guys!
Old 1st August 2007, 14:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

if you have a simple stereo with no amplifiers then it is quite safe to run the stereo for short periods of tieme (say 30 mins). but larger stereo systems with multiple amps can drain the battery quite fast.

When a car is started it demands a lot from the battery and these demands if not met means the car wont start.
Old 1st August 2007, 16:47   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
if you have a simple stereo with no amplifiers then it is quite safe to run the stereo for short periods of tieme (say 30 mins). but larger stereo systems with multiple amps can drain the battery quite fast.

When a car is started it demands a lot from the battery and these demands if not met means the car wont start.
my ice contains 2 sets of components and 2 amps and a subwoofer, and the car is a 6 month old hyundai getz, so would it be a bad idea to listen to music with the engine switched off. till date i have not had any problems even though i listen to music with the engine switched off. will it affect the battery in the long run.
Old 1st August 2007, 22:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

It is probably a matter of time when it happens. I have also been guilty of the same (i have only one amp though).
Old 1st August 2007, 22:09   #5
BHPian

One more question from my end on the same topic, is it possible to add another battery which is dedicated for the music system only?
Old 1st August 2007, 22:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
One more question from my end on the same topic, is it possible to add another battery which is dedicated for the music system only?
And how will you charge this battery ?
Old 1st August 2007, 22:49   #7
BHPian

No idea John, probably the same way as the main battery. I remember seeing on one of those "Pimp my Ride" shows, they had added additional batteries for the ICE.
Old 1st August 2007, 23:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

this thread here could be of some use
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...much-load.html
Old 1st August 2007, 23:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
A lot of competition vehicles use one or more batteries dedicated to the music system.

Batteries could be completely isolated from the music system, or they could be set to be a part of the charging system when the car engine is running.
Old 2nd August 2007, 00:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
they could be set to be a part of the charging system when the car engine is running.
Thanks Ajay. If you could share a bit more on how this can be done, that would be great.
Old 2nd August 2007, 00:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
this thread here could be of some use
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...much-load.html
Quote:
No idea John, probably the same way as the main battery. I remember seeing on one of those "Pimp my Ride" shows, they had added additional batteries for the ICE.
Hmm my fav topic.

Like Navin Ji said in the first post it all depends on requirements.

Using multiple battery where the current demands are high. and one has to play the setup with out starting the car. But I would never recommend to run the setup with out the engine running. because of the huge demand of power by the amps.

the extra batteries can be isolated by a relay with the main battery ciruit. But for charging them they need to be connected or even a separate alternater can be added also the stock alternater will be a quite small for this job so it is need to be changed according to the battery add in the car.
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:42   #12

no it's stock speakers and all, but it gets quite loud (and very nice with a big thud ) when i want it to be.

it's because sometimes when i wait for people or after cleaning my car i put it pretty loud.

sorry i'm kinda noob, but how can you tell if you have an amp or not?
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ajay. If you could share a bit more on how this can be done, that would be great.
Like LBM said, a battery isolating device is used if you want to keep the system running without starting the car. This prevents your starter battery from discharging. The isolator completes the circuit only when the ignition switch is turned on.

The additional batteries are kept totally isolated from the starter battery when the battery/ batteries used for the system are of a different voltage from the starter battery which will almost always be 12V.
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:43   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
you need an upgraded alternator and a dual battery isolator etc... so this can be done but why? are you often waiting for periods of more than 15 mins?
Old 2nd August 2007, 13:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
if you have a simple stereo with no amplifiers then it is quite safe to run the stereo for short periods of tieme (say 30 mins).
i have forgotten many times to turn off the stereo for over 10hours at a stretch (in a hurry to get to office) luckily its factory stereo with no additional amps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks