Team-BHP - Can a subwoofer be powered directly off a Head unit?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Can a subwoofer be powered directly off a Head unit? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/27370-can-subwoofer-powered-directly-off-head-unit.html)

As the title says, can a woofer be powered directly off certain head units? If you plan on listening to music at moderate to low volume, can a head unit provide sufficient power to operate a woofer?

I've seen the functions on my old Pioneer that show me some controls for a woofer. Does that mean the HU can power the woofer? If not, then what are those controls for?

Or are we destined to use a separate amp for all eternity?

yes it can but the HU output in terms of power would be quite less to get max from the sub.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech (Post 527204)
I've seen the functions on my old Pioneer that show me some controls for a woofer. Does that mean the HU can power the woofer? If not, then what are those controls for?

Not really advisable to run it off the HU as the HU will not be able to drive the sub to it's potential. It will not sound very good.

The options in the HU allow you to control the sub which is either connected to an amp to the preout or directly to the rear speaker channels of the HU if you don't have an amp.

To enable this setting, you have to switch off the pio HU and go to the settings menu by keeping function button pressed. There you can select for the rear channel to be in S/W mode or full range mode. If you select S/W mode you can then adjust the level and LPF setting for the sub.

If you have an amp and sub then the rear should be full range mode and the SW menu controls the sub connected to the preout of the HU.

Apologies if it's a little confusing.

No Rtech, you cannot. You will need to buy an amplifier.

There are a few models from Pioneer that have the capability to drive a small subwoofer. In any case it sounds like crap. I know your HU (A double Din Clarion - yummy!) and I know your Bass tube. You need an amplifier, no matter what volume you want to play it at.

If nothing else, then even a Sony 502 or 222. But you need an amplifier.

I had the same doubt a long long time ago & the doubt was put to rest by a friend of mine who did that & i was like, 'where is the sound coming from?' the sub just farts. A pair of good speakers sound (put out bass)way better than that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech (Post 527204)
As the title says, can a woofer be powered directly off certain head units?

Not really. No HU I know of can swing the amps to drive a 10-12" sub. Not even the ones with Class D amps not unless the subs are 6 or 8" but then these would be woofers not subwoofers.

Ignore my knowledge.
Whats the difference between a woofer and subwoofer ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sushrutha (Post 528056)
Ignore my knowledge.

In layman terms woofer can give 40-150hz and the sub-woofer can give 20-80 hz.

The sub-woofer can go much low when compared to the woofer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sushrutha (Post 528056)
Ignore my knowledge.

the lowest 2/3 rd octave or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam
No Rtech, you cannot. You will need to buy an amplifier.....You need an amplifier, no matter what volume you want to play it at.

Well thats clear enough!

Quote:

Originally Posted by E_L
I had the same doubt a long long time ago & the doubt was put to rest by a friend of mine who did that & i was like, 'where is the sound coming from?' the sub just farts

And so is that!

2 channel amp it is.

Question: Once the sub is connected to the amp, are all adjustments to be done only on the amp or can the HU be used to make changes as well? Basic settings like raising/lowering of the sub effect?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech (Post 528076)

Question: Once the sub is connected to the amp, are all adjustments to be done only on the amp or can the HU be used to make changes as well? Basic settings like raising/lowering of the sub effect?

A good hu will have this function.