Team-BHP - Audio Query for Zen
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Audio Query for Zen (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/27427-audio-query-zen.html)

Well, I have a Zen MPFI (2000) and have it fitted with the following:
1. front - sony xs-gf1622
2. back - pioneer ts-a6992
3. woofer - Pioneer TS-W307D4 12" 1200 Watt Subwoofer
4. amp - sony 554
5. head unit - kenwood dpx 701
As of now, the 554 supplies the sub and the rear 6X9s. The thing is that the front speakers are almost non existent, so the sound from the rear is dominant.
I was told by some shops in Koliwada(Mumbai) that i should go for a 2 channel amp, the one they were suggesting was JVC 3300 (or something like that, dont really remember the name), and it cost aroung Rs. 2200.
I asked a friend of mine (Fuelled on tbhp) and he suggested that I supply the front speakers from the 554 and the rears off the HU. He suggested that if this doesn't work out well, then i should go in for GTO607c or some other components.

Am really confused.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I think your sub is a DVC and currently only one voice coil must be powered since you just have a 4 channel amplifier.

I suggest you use the 554 entirely to power the sub (if all of its channels are bridgeable, in some Sonys you can't), and buy a good 4 channel amp to power a good pair of front comps and the rears. If not that, then atleast get a 2 channel amp to power the fronts, and let the rears run off the head unit.

hmm...
I guess i will need to check up about the DVC thing. Can i put in another 554 and power my rear and front through that itself? How much approx. does a 554 cost? I really don't have sufficient cash to put in a pair of comps and another amp.

Are dual cone and DVC woofers the same thing?

No Guru here, so believe me at your own peril!
DVC stands for dual voice coil. You can connect the coils in series or in parallel. The impededance will be different in each case. Helps you extract the maximum juice from a capable amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nura (Post 529640)
No Guru here, so believe me at your own peril!
DVC stands for dual voice coil. You can connect the coils in series or in parallel. The impededance will be different in each case. Helps you extract the maximum juice from a capable amp.

Ya you are 100 % correct but the sony amp you have does not do 2 ohms in bridged mode. You need a good 4 ch or a mono according to the budget.

But is a DVC and a dual cone sub the same thing? Because I am sure that my Sub is a dual cone, but i dont know about the DVC part. A friend of mine had gotten the stuff installed to so i have no clue. Heck, I'm not even confident of the model no...

How much would a relatively decent amp cost? 4 chan and 2 channel? Could you please give me the prices.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidvai (Post 529746)
But is a DVC and a dual cone sub the same thing?

No no no no no no no.

A DVC is a speaker with two voice coils. Essentially a voice coil split in the middle, to allow for greater flexibility of impedance and/or amplifier drive.

A dual cone speaker was invented by Philips and it is well, cheap and not so good. You don't get dual cone subwoofers.

^^
Hmmm....ok :Frustrati

Then I guess it must have been dual coil, MY BAD! Sorry...

Well, whats the cheapest and best option that I have? Which 4 chan amp would you guys suggest and how much would it cost?
Would another 554 suffice?

Thanks!

I would recommend any amp but a 554.
Yes, they are better avoided unless you are keeping it very tight on budget.

Pioneer 6100/6200 are also decent entry level amps @5k range. You can also get a JBL CS60.4 for about 7k. All are 4-ch, and better than the Sony.

Quote:

Originally Posted by determinus (Post 529917)
Pioneer 6100/6200 are also decent entry level amps @5k range. You can also get a JBL CS60.4 for about 7k. All are 4-ch, and better than the Sony.

hmm...

The pioneers sound nice, are you sure that they are for 5k? Because, originally my budget was about 2-3k, but if its worth it, it can be expanded.

*slaps head on forehead as TBHP takes it toll on pocket/wallet again*

Edit: Can't I go in for a 2 channel amp itself? JVC@Rs.2200? Would putting the sub through a 4 channel tremendously improve its performance? Because, its pretty awesome as it is...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 529831)
A dual cone speaker was invented by Philips and it is well, cheap and not so good. You don't get dual cone subwoofers.

not all dual cone speakers are cheap and not so good. beyond teh lowthers, supravox and fostex drivers I have enven some rather cheaper well behaved dual coned drives.

and yes I dont think there really is a need for a dual coned sobwoofers. dual cones were usualyl used to extend the HF response of a regular cone midrange/midbass/widerange.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidvai (Post 529252)
Well, I have a Zen MPFI (2000) and have it fitted with the following:
1. front - sony xs-gf1622
2. back - pioneer ts-a6992
3. woofer - Pioneer TS-W307D4 12" 1200 Watt Subwoofer
4. amp - sony 554
5. head unit - kenwood dpx 701
As of now, the 554 supplies the sub and the rear 6X9s. The thing is that the front speakers are almost non existent, so the sound from the rear is dominant.
I was told by some shops in Koliwada(Mumbai) that i should go for a 2 channel amp, the one they were suggesting was JVC 3300 (or something like that, dont really remember the name), and it cost aroung Rs. 2200.
I asked a friend of mine (Fuelled on tbhp) and he suggested that I supply the front speakers from the 554 and the rears off the HU. He suggested that if this doesn't work out well, then i should go in for GTO607c or some other components.

Am really confused.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have the same amp powering the rear but the front blaupunkt component are directly connectd to head unit and sounds good. Previously even my door speakers were not up to the mark. i got the Blaupunkt component for Rs 2400.

my 554 amp powers 1 jbl sub and the rear pioneer ovals.

@krish82
Well, actually, I have been recommended against connecting the components directly to the HU, but I guess if it worked for you, it can work for me as well. But the thing is that my setup is not even 3 months old, and I dont want to do away with the existing sony speakers so soon, so thats i why i think i will go in for another amp only and then maybe in 6 months-1 year go in for a front speaker upgrade (GTO607c...drroooll).

What i want to know as of now is, would it make a world of difference if my sub is connected to just 2 channels instead of 4, so basically, if i can buy a mono bass amp, route my sub through that, and use the 554 to power my speakers (all 4)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidvai (Post 531258)
What i want to know as of now is, would it make a world of difference if my sub is connected to just 2 channels instead of 4, so basically, if i can buy a mono bass amp, route my sub through that, and use the 554 to power my speakers (all 4)?

is your sub DVC or SVC? if it is SVC it can only be connected to 2 channels (bridged). If it is DVC you can use all 4 channels (using 2 channels for each voice coil).