Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2012, 14:07   #226
BHPian

Re: Help - 2002 Santro ICE Budget Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
Hi guys, I have a 2002 Santro Zip Plus with stock casette player and two 4 inch OEM rounds in the front lower dashboard. I now need to upgrade the ICE of my car. I am planning to have a Single DIN Head Unit with two 4 inch round speakers from JBL and two 6x9 Oval JBL speakers. My budget is 10k max.

The car battery was replaced recently with the Amaron battery (4 year warranty, not much of load on the battery till date).

I have earlier seen the JBL Head Unit in JBL India's website, but when I checked it yesterday, strangely enough, it was not displayed.

Kindly recommend me some options. The car is currently in Chennai and so am looking at fitting the entire system from a reputed shop in Chennai.

I am looking at JBL products specifically because I have a 25% discount on JBL products till Diwali provided I purchase them online. My doubt is, If I purchase it online, where can I do the fitment in Chennai and how much will they charge (even if it is through the authorized JBL distributor)?

Also, will JBL speakers run well without any interference, distortion or static noise when used with Other brand HUs like Blaupunkt, Pioneer or Sony?

The following are the models of JBL speakers that I have shortlisted for purchase. If anyone is curently using them or has used them, please give the feedback on performance. The car is mainly for my grandparents, so Bass and Frequency response can take a back-seat (hence the low budget). Also, the HU interface should be simple and easy to use.

JBL GT6-S699 6x9 30way speaker for rear.

There are no options in the budget range in JBL for front 4 inch round speakers.

Please help me as I want to finish this off within a week's time so that the system is up and running before I leave from Chennai.

Thanks in advance - Surya
Welcome to the forum Surya! Wish you many happy miles ahead!

I will get to each of your queries in sequence.

Firstly, for the budget that you have mentioned, it is quite sufficient to get a decent quality setup for your car.

As for HU, you can get one that plays only USB and HU, since we usually don't play CDs anymore. Pioneer, JBL and JVC have these. Should cost between 3.5k - 5k. In case you want to go for a model with CD, look slightly higher.

The JBL ones have many issues reported by many members on the forum. Personally, I would recommend Pioner MVH1490UB. It had cost me 3.5k, and it is total VFM. Sounds quality is pretty decent, and very easy to use.

And no, using JBL speakers will not cause any distortion or static noise if you use the HU of any other brand. As long as the HU and speakers are of reputed brands, there should be no issues.

The GT6-S699 speakers are pretty decent for rear setup. And although you are not too fussy about bass, these speakers actually do provide good bass. Put them on an MDF tray (700-800 Rs.) in the boot, that way the entire boot will act as an enclosure for the speakers (Infinite Baffle mode). The sound should be quite nice.

For front, you can see the JBL CS4 speakers. 4", 2 way. Costs around 1.5k. For the price, the quality is really good. I have used them myself until very recently, and for a budget setup, they are a perfect match. Sony also has some 4" speakers, but nowhere in the league of JBL. Probably Pioneer also has some models, but I am not too sure. You can try and find out. Pioneer speaker quality is also decent.

For the entire setup, the installer may take around 300-400 rupees. Maybe less.

Any other queries, please ask. Cheers!

Last edited by swarnava.m : 3rd November 2012 at 14:10.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 14:54   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Welcome to the forum Surya! Wish you many happy miles ahead!

I will get to each of your queries in sequence.

Firstly, for the budget that you have mentioned, it is quite sufficient to get a decent quality setup for your car.

As for HU, you can get one that plays only USB and HU, since we usually don't play CDs anymore. Pioneer, JBL and JVC have these. Should cost between 3.5k - 5k. In case you want to go for a model with CD, look slightly higher.

The JBL ones have many issues reported by many members on the forum. Personally, I would recommend Pioner MVH1490UB. It had cost me 3.5k, and it is total VFM. Sounds quality is pretty decent, and very easy to use.

And no, using JBL speakers will not cause any distortion or static noise if you use the HU of any other brand. As long as the HU and speakers are of reputed brands, there should be no issues.

The GT6-S699 speakers are pretty decent for rear setup. And although you are not too fussy about bass, these speakers actually do provide good bass. Put them on an MDF tray (700-800 Rs.) in the boot, that way the entire boot will act as an enclosure for the speakers (Infinite Baffle mode). The sound should be quite nice.

For front, you can see the JBL CS4 speakers. 4", 2 way. Costs around 1.5k. For the price, the quality is really good. I have used them myself until very recently, and for a budget setup, they are a perfect match. Sony also has some 4" speakers, but nowhere in the league of JBL. Probably Pioneer also has some models, but I am not too sure. You can try and find out. Pioneer speaker quality is also decent.

For the entire setup, the installer may take around 300-400 rupees. Maybe less.

Any other queries, please ask. Cheers!
Thanks for the info swarnava.m. I looked into the Pioneer India and Sony India websites. They do have quite some options, especially in the budget range.

Here are the combos that I have shortlisted for the time being.

Pioneer Combo-1:
1. MVH 159UI - Head Unit
2. TS A934 - 6x9 3 way speakers - Rear
3. TS G414 - 4 inch round speakers - Front

Pioneer Combo-2:
1. DEH 1590UB - Head Unit
Speakers are same as above

Sony Combo-1:
1. CDX GT44U - Head Unit
2. XS-GTF69372 - 6x9 3 way speakers - Rear
3. XS-GTF10272 - 4 inch round speakers - Front

Sony Combo-2:
1. DSX-A30 - Head Unit
2. XS-GT69322 - 6x9 3 way speakers - Rear

Unluckily for me, the JBL speakers can't apparently be purchased online (the discount being applicable only for online purchase). Hence, will have them on standby till my date of install.. If they do not come up for online sale, then I'll be taking one of the above 4 combos.

If anyone has used or are using any of these components currently, please give a feedback on them.

Also, if anyone is in Chennai, please share the details of good install shops. I have seen lots of shops on GP Road and also a few on the Anna Salai stretch, but am not quite sure which one to select. Also, how to identify a fake product from an original one? Please help.
Old 3rd November 2012, 15:37   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
Thanks for the info swarnava.m. I looked into the Pioneer India and Sony India websites. They do have quite some options, especially in the budget range.

Here are the combos that I have shortlisted for the time being.

Pioneer Combo-1:
1. MVH 159UI - Head Unit
2. TS A934 - 6x9 3 way speakers - Rear
3. TS G414 - 4 inch round speakers - Front

Pioneer Combo-2:
1. DEH 1590UB - Head Unit
Speakers are same as above

Sony Combo-1:
1. CDX GT44U - Head Unit
2. XS-GTF69372 - 6x9 3 way speakers - Rear

Sony Combo-2:
1. DSX-A30 - Head Unit
2. XS-GT69322 - 6x9 3 way speakers - Rear

Unluckily for me, the JBL speakers can't apparently be purchased online (the discount being applicable only for online purchase). Hence, will have them on standby till my date of install.. If they do not come up for online sale, then I'll be taking one of the above 4 combos.

If anyone has used or are using any of these components currently, please give a feedback on them.

Also, if anyone is in Chennai, please share the details of good install shops. I have seen lots of shops on GP Road and also a few on the Anna Salai stretch, but am not quite sure which one to select. Also, how to identify a fake product from an original one? Please help.
Are you purchasing the Pioneer/Sony products online? I suggest you at least audition them once before you purchase. You don't want to be stuck with something you don't like. Reason I say this is, many people who are looking for decent SQ are often disappointed by Sony's audio quality. Personal opinion. I have never found them quite up to the mark.

As for JBL, I did not understand what you mean. Is it that no JBL products can be purchased online? If yes, then what is your discount for? Or is it that only the speakers you are looking at are not available for online purchase?

Last edited by swarnava.m : 3rd November 2012 at 15:38.
Old 3rd November 2012, 18:10   #229
BHPian

The discount is for a one time purchase that I make online, whether be it Home Audio or Car Audio. That particular model GT6-S699 is not available for online purchase right now. They instead have a lot of other home audio equipment. That's why still waiting till the last minute.

I am not going to purchase Sony/Pioneer items online. Will get them at the place where I am going to fix the ICE system. Even if there are some other form of discounts available, I might buy JBL on the spot from that shop itself.

I too don't have much of an idea about Sony Xplod systems. That's why planning to pop down to some big shops for a demo before hand so that I can fix the best combo then n there.
Surya-TJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 23:12   #230
BHPian

Re: Santro ICE - Installation & Tuning Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I assume you have wired as shown in the link below.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...4-ohm_mono.jpg

If I understand correctly you have a dual 4 ohm woofer that is showing 8 ohms in series and 3 ohms DC in parallel.

Is there some large inductor in series with the woofer coils?
Is the battery of your multimeter ok?
Try again using a different multimeter and multimeter leads.
Sorry for the very late reply.
The voice coils are wired as in the diagram.
A friend's multimeter gave the same readings as mine did.
I guess (sigh) I did get a dual 4 ohm sub wrongly labelled as dual 2 ohm.
My sincerest thanks to you & DerAlte for diagnosing the problem.
It is playing a lot better with the coils in parallel. It also sounds less boomy without any polyfill.
Thank you once again for your help. You guys are fantastic.
Old 24th July 2017, 10:31   #231
BHPian

Hi everyone!
Started this thread nearly 10 years ago and it was really wonderful posting all my questions here and receiving your extremely helpful replies. My sincerest thanks once again.
A few days I got all the ICE stuff removed from the Santro because I am exchanging the car.
Was wondering if the ICE could be put together in an aesthetically pleasing way for home use. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
nura
nura is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 14:24   #232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
Was wondering if the ICE could be put together in an aesthetically pleasing way for home use. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
nura
Using Car Audio equipment for the home can be done but is not efficient.

Firstly you have to ensure you have a 12VDC supply at home. Secondly car audio speakers are designed for the car and not the home. Car audio speakers are built to withstand the tough (sun, dust, heat, vibrations) of a car and in general (with exceptions of the very expensive ones) are not detailed enough for home audio use.

It is akin to using a goods carrier to drive yourself to the office and back. Sure you can do it. But would you? Unless desperate.
Old 3rd August 2017, 18:21   #233
BHPian

Thank you for your invaluable advice.
Have decided to install the old ICE in the new car, an Alto 800.
For starters, am thinking of installing only the HU, the crossovers & the 3-way components. Is the Alpine HU capable of driving the components directly? Would be perfectly happy with clean sound at low volumes.
Old 7th August 2017, 12:44   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is the Alpine HU capable of driving the components directly? Would be perfectly happy with clean sound at low volumes.
Yes you should be fine. No need for an amp if you don't play too loud.
Old 6th July 2019, 14:40   #235
BHPian

Thank you for replying & apologies for the late acknowledgement.
Ended up transferring the entire Santro ICE to the Alto 800 a few months ago.
Recently the sub has started emitting thumping sounds which aren't a part of the musical recording. These sounds are more pronounced while driving on rough roads & while braking. Could something have come loose inside the sub? How can I check & repair?
In case the sub is irreparable please recommend another 12 inch one with tight bass.
Sincerest thanks in advance.
Old 6th July 2019, 16:46   #236
BANNED

Quote:
Recently the sub has started emitting thumping sounds which aren't a part of the musical recording. These sounds are more pronounced while driving on rough roads & while braking. Could something have come loose inside the sub? How can I check & repair?.
Is the subwoofer in a sealed or ported box?
Old 6th July 2019, 19:09   #237
BHPian

It's a sealed enclosure.
Old 6th July 2019, 20:29   #238
BANNED

Quote:
It's a sealed enclosure.
Maybe the subwoofer itself has come loose from its mounting point hence rattling when going over bad roads. Get it checked before any further damage happens.
Old 7th July 2019, 11:51   #239
BHPian

Ok, thanks for replying.
Old 27th July 2019, 10:12   #240
BHPian

My subwoofer repair person says the spider is damaged. It can be changed but the cone will need to be changed as well. As the new cone will be completely different from the old one, he is advising against it.
Please recommend a decent quality 12 inch sub. For some reason there are very few subs available on the official JBL& Blaupunkt websites.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by nura : 27th July 2019 at 10:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks