Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2007, 12:08   #1
BHPian

Kicker AMP with MB Quart Comp and Audiobahn

Folks,
Need your help in tuning my ICE. Finally got everything in place after 9 months and now I need help with the tunning.

ICE:

HU:
Pioneer 6950IB with iPod adapter (Since I am more of a iPod person gave the 7950 a slip and zeroed into 5950 then realized the 5950 is 2.5 V output and 6950 4V is 4V output so settled for that extra clean music signal, again thanks to blue for the bliss advice)

SPEAKERS:
Front: MB Quart QM 215.03CX 5.25" Component Speakers
Rear: Audiobahn AS62V 6.5" Coaxial speakers (both bought from blueraven)
Sub: Pioneer 306C

AMPS:
Mono: Pioneer 7200M
4-Channel: Kicker ZX350.4 (Kicker ZX350.4 - 350 watts, ZX Series 4-Channel Amplifier • 90 watts x 4 chan. @ 2 ohms • CEA-2006 Compliant • 12 dB per octave Crossover • High Level Inputs - , Car Amplifiers, Multi-channel Amps - Sonic Electronix)

WIRING:
Mono
: Audio Essentials 4-Guage wiring kit (Directed Audio Essentials)
4-Channel: Audio Essentials 8-Guage wiring kit (Directed Installation Accessories @LightAV.com 877-390-1599 directed,audio,authorized,dealer,power,ground,wire ,speaker,distribution,0/1,2,4,8,10,g,guage,interconnect,rca,install,instal lation,kit,sheilded,cable,battery,terminal,agu,max i,kf,fuse,holder)

Now the system is working and I havent let the audio guy tune it as i see him more of the regular installer. I tried talking to Bala of Teknocraft but he is available on weekdays and I dont have time. The existing setup when moved to 25 points on the HU blares my Front Components (the mids are giving dap dap sound)...i know it a tunning problem and my guess is the gain is more.

Now, I want to tune my system on my own. I need help from you guys oh how best I can tune.

My requirements:
1. Tight bass
2. Good clear music (I am not here to make other know I have ICE but for myself to hear rich music)
3. I prefer a good front stage but not a total front stage.

Is the right way:
  1. Set the eq in the HU to FLAT (Bass treble all to 0)
  2. Set the gain in the amps to zero.
  3. Set the volume in HU to 3/4th
  4. Disconnect the RC from Kicker
  5. Connect the front components and increase the gain till distortion happens and set it below that point
  6. Disconnect front RC and connect rear ones. Increase the gain till distortion happens and set it below that point.
  7. Set the HPF to 63 Hz
  8. Keep the fader at Front 1 (since i need more front stage?)
  9. Set my equaliser to my setting
  10. All this time the SUb is off. Now with the correct setting in place switch on the sub and increase the gain till its confy?
Fire and play the amp?
What should be the ideal HPF setting?
What should be the Bass setting in the HU? Does this bass setting in the HU affect only the Sub or all the speakers?

SOS

Last edited by madbullram : 12th August 2007 at 12:20.
Old 12th August 2007, 12:29   #2
BHPian

Is it better to adjust the HPF/LPF on the HU or switch it off in the HU and adjust in the AMPs?
Old 12th August 2007, 20:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Cool setup,bro.
Ur requirements are the same as mine.
U're using a monster size mono amp for the pio 12".
Add another sub,i'd say!
Old 12th August 2007, 20:09   #4
BHPian

Thanks Mate...I know...but Santro this sub itself makes me feel when the doors gonna fall. Will upgrade to one more when I upgrade my ride
Old 13th August 2007, 00:31   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Is it better to adjust the HPF/LPF on the HU or switch it off in the HU and adjust in the AMPs?
That's debatable. Personally I prefer to use the ones on the amplifiers, simply because the settings on the HU change if the battery is serviced or changed.

But some use BOTH a it gives a sharper roll off.
Old 13th August 2007, 00:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
8. Keep the fader at Front 1 (since i need more front stage?)
I tuned my ICE last week and I felt that it is better to control the fading by adjusting the front and rear gains in the amp. Keep the fader in the HU at 0.
Quote:
What should be the ideal HPF setting?
This depends on the bass handling capacity of the speakers. Why don't you set the HPF first and adjust the front/rear gains(and not the other way round)? You can even consider setting it to a higher value as you have the sub to take care of all the low frequencies.
Quote:
What should be the Bass setting in the HU? Does this bass setting in the HU affect only the Sub or all the speakers?
This Bass setting will affect all the speakers including the sub, but the HPF will act over this.
Old 13th August 2007, 12:37   #7
BHPian

@Sam: Thanks for the advise. Right now its set in both

@dmitri: Thanks bro. I get your point. Whats the best setting for HPF if I love the Mid freq better? I am thinking the sub should handle the low, the Comp and rear speakers handle mid ...whats the HPF setting u recommend?
Old 13th August 2007, 15:57   #8
BHPian

Put the HPF on 100Hz which will direct high/mid frequencies to your speakers( and not the sub ). As you have a seperate amp for the speakers, you can filter the frequencies in the amp also.
Old 14th August 2007, 09:58   #9
Team-BHP Support

I am conservative. THis is what I do.

I first set my front speaker. Only my front speakers. I tune them to sound good without the sub or rears. To do this I set my amp's HPF to 80hz and use the HU for any further filtering. Amps usually have a 2nd order slope so I do not use more than a 2nd order slope on the HU.

Next I set up the sub especially the time alignment. I am so used to TA that I dont think I can survive with a HU that does not have TA (like the current generation of Alpines). I have never LPFed a sub above 80Hz (which is why I use the this freq. for the front speakers).

Lastly I bring in the rears. The rears for me serve 2 purposes.
1. they bring in a bit of rear fill someting I am used to even though it is not really considered correct by audiophiles.
2. It give the rear passenger something to listen to.
Old 14th August 2007, 11:13   #10
BHPian

Thanks Navin....I did almost what you said...but my order was Front tuning then rear then sub. I will your order.

Now whats the freq setting i should keep in the Mono amp?
Old 19th August 2007, 18:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

I usually follow what Navin ji has mentioned... try that and see if it suits your listening needs. Only thing Iv never owned a HU which supported TA...
Old 19th August 2007, 23:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think you have got all the advice you needed Ram, one little thing, that 4 Channel amp you have, is really powerful, I would say go easy on the gain, especially on the front component speakers, and follow the tips the guys gave on this thread, and if you need any assistance you can call me.
All the best.
Old 20th August 2007, 00:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
that 4 Channel amp you have, is really powerful, I would say go easy on the gain, especially on the front component speakers,
Uh, its like 60 x 4. Anything less than that isn't usually an amp.
Old 20th August 2007, 00:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
@Sam: Thanks for the advise. Right now its set in both
advice would be the right one in this case.. not advise

****.. Sam's english bug has bitten me..
Old 20th August 2007, 00:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Uh, its like 60 x 4. Anything less than that isn't usually an amp.
Ajay sir jee, this amp is nothing like maybe a JBL 60.4, the ZX350.4 is a meaner amp than what it's rated. On paper in terms of specs is fine, but Kickers always churn out more power than rated and sometimes it can get blistering, not this amp though. Anyhow advised Ram to go easy cos those 40 RMS 5.25" component Speakers were from my car and they will have a good chance of blowing on a Kicker amp if not tuned properly. Better safe than sorry

Last edited by blueraven316 : 20th August 2007 at 01:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks