Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2007, 03:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ice!!!

Hi,

Not sure if this should be in "ask the gurus", mods please move it if find it unsuitable.

In the name of ICE, all I hear here is subs, amps, tweeters, components etc. But frankly speaking, I can not survive any music for more than an hour. I shut it down and enjoy the ride. the only thing that can keep me busy is national public radio which keeps playing interesting news, documentaries, interviews etc.

Anyway, the query is, what else can be done to make the car more entertaining, and comfortable. need your ideas on interior mods excluding music and movies. Let's see what you guys have in your cars.

things i have on my mind is internet surfing station, fridge/cooler, surveillances cameras, GPS locator, sleeping bed/tent for camping.
Old 13th August 2007, 04:59   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Hi,

what else can be done to make the car more entertaining...
we all know the answer to that one........ but i'm going to let the gurus here tell you...
Old 13th August 2007, 13:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
things i have on my mind is internet surfing station, surveillances cameras, GPS locator,
the above needs you to use your eyes to enjoy them - not a nice thing when you are driving on the road.

as far as a fridge/cooler and sleeping bag this is not in car entertainment (unless you oount watching ice from in a fridge as entertainment) or you are part of that old skoda advertisement.
Old 13th August 2007, 14:33   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

things i have on my mind is internet surfing station, fridge/cooler, surveillances cameras, GPS locator, sleeping bed/tent for camping.
All these things are great to have in your camper/caravan. I don't see how they count as ICE.
Old 13th August 2007, 15:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Fridge, tents, internet surfing, couches?

Inspired too much by 'Pimp My Ride' on VH1?
Old 13th August 2007, 16:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

An in-car bar. But then i will need a driver. Is he ICE too ?
Old 13th August 2007, 18:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
All these things are great to have in your camper/caravan. I don't see how they count as ICE.
I don't think so, apart from the sleeping bed. Of course the driver will not be able to use them.....but i will not be the only one driving all the time.

yes, i did stretch ICE to ICC (comfort)......but i really feel bad when i see people pomping up the jam and i can't seem to enjoy it.

So, what else can i do.
Old 13th August 2007, 18:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Fridge, tents, internet surfing, couches?

Inspired too much by 'Pimp My Ride' on VH1?
ok, here's the thing.

i always have bottles of water in my car, but they get heated up in sun. so plan to have a portable cooler/fridge.

internet surfing is more of a necessity than a luxury since at times i am on prod support and can be called anytime. having a power plug and a gprs connection would be good enough.

tent...well not in near future, but may be when my son starts pressing me for camping.

couch, i think my quest seats are comfy enough

AND, here is a favorite quote of mine, "ask why not".
Old 13th August 2007, 19:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ok, here's the thing.

1. i always have bottles of water in my car, but they get heated up in sun. so plan to have a portable cooler/fridge.

2. internet surfing is more of a necessity than a luxury since at times i am on prod support and can be called anytime. having a power plug and a gprs connection would be good enough.

3. tent...well not in near future, but may be when my son starts pressing me for camping.
@1. Buy fewer bottles of water, stop by and buy fresher bottles; you'd hardly need a litre per 30kms amidst traffic, hardly. BTW, Air con and tints are not all that bad.

Alternator and battery can be put to better use, powering the amps for example. Refridgeration, I ask, why?

@2. Laptop batteries last enough if you ask me, but a few DIY methods could be discussed about powering them. And about GPRS, well, we have telecom companies offering add-on cards for laptops at affordable prices for the exact reason. Blackberrys and PDA's are good too.

By the way, did you notice that I've discussed Laptops and telecom company offers more than 'Car Entertainment'? That is probably one of the reasons why it is not ICE.

@3. Hmmm.... Mobile tents would never be ICE again.

And the 'why not?' is a nice quote, as long as it does not complicate things unnecessarily.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 13th August 2007 at 19:09.
Old 13th August 2007, 19:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
And the 'why not?' is a nice quote, as long as it does not complicate things unnecessarily.
Yeah, But I guess keeping things simple is not the intention when anyone starts thinking about mods. I have lived in the world you describe, and I like to keep things simple too. But we are talking about modifications here, not how to avoid them.

aftermarket ICE shops will shut down if we go by "keep it simple" theory.

Anyway, i didn't/don't want to offend anybody, this was a genuine query.....I will wait and watch if anybody has any more ideas.
Old 13th August 2007, 21:08   #11
vidvai

hmm..well...a very simple way of doing the computer related stuff is to:
1. Buy a cheap, almost dead, crapped out laptop with a config that is just right: i mean 128mb RAM, 10Gb HDD, even if it doesnt have an HDD its ok, u can always use USB. Put the laptop under the front seat.
2. Buy a 7" monitor and put it anywhere you like.
3. Buy a car cig lighter to 220V AC converter, connect the laptop to that. u can directly figure out a way to connect it...
4. Buy a wireless keyboard and mouse set, connect it to the lappie and keep the keyboard and mouse anywhere.
5. Connect the lappie and the screen thru s video
6. Buy a couple of USB extension cords that you can connect to the laptop and keep then conveniently place them around the car.
7. buy reliance data card.
8. enjoy!

Last edited by vidvai : 13th August 2007 at 21:11.

Old 14th August 2007, 01:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

A cooler/fridge is not an entertainment anywhere, whether it is inside a car or at home. At home it is an absolute necessity in a middle/upper class family. In a car, it is a personal thing, but you cannot call it an entertainment unless you want to add a bar.
cheers
Old 14th August 2007, 09:28   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
but you cannot call it an entertainment unless you want to add a bar
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
unless you count watching ice from in a fridge as entertainment
Hahaha a perfect setup.

I have never found a fridge quite entertaining. However, fill it up with perky (literally, the cold tend to do that, there's a nip in the air, if you know what I mean) young women aaaand THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!!

Then you guys can take all your silly woofers and components and put them where the sun never shines. I couldn't care less.

Heyyy, let's put this is manson's dream ICE thread.
Old 14th August 2007, 13:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, fill it up with perky (literally, the cold tend to do that, there's a nip in the air, if you know what I mean) young women aaaand THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!!

That was insanely hilarious! Awesome Sam!

Quote:
Then you guys can take all your silly woofers and components and put them where the sun never shines. I couldn't care less.
I'm sure JBL wouldn't be very happy with that statement from you!

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 14th August 2007 at 13:29.
Old 14th August 2007, 15:51   #15
BHPian

I once saw a exhibition booth for OSIM (massage products). They had taken out the back seats of a luxury car (don't remember which one) and installed 2 full featured massage chairs in the back.

The ultimate in relaxation as you are (chauffeur) driven to office and back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks